Cell phones and dating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell phones and dating

In the 80's, one was cautious about giving out their phone numbers just in case the guy was a creep, if the relation turned bad. Less ways for the person to interfere with their lives.

These days, however, with as cheap as cell phones can be, one can have a throw away line. The test phone to see if it works out and if it doesn't, he is left with ringing the phone now left in the drawer or even better, a GO phone without a phone card.

Of course, in the current era, I really haven't thought like that. The schedule or really, lack there of, in my life really doesn't permit even hunting and being out of my time line, having to date outside of town really complicates it. When you really can't talk about it what you do because if people knew about what you did they tend to scatter, it gets difficult.

But having recently had to activate my plan of a second cell phone for auxilary operations, now the question was there: after this mission is over, what do you want to do with that second phone that you are paying for?

And there we go: a reason to be secretative and mysterious about it.........for a very understandable reason.
    Last edited by SnowLeopard; 19 Sep 09,, 16:40.

Originally posted by SnowLeopard View Post

.........When you really can't talk about it what you do because if people knew about what you did they tend to scatter, it gets difficult.
    Ahhhhh, Military Spook? :))

Wait, this wasn't in the Naval Quiz section.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
      Ahhhhh, Military Spook? :))

Wait, this wasn't in the Naval Quiz section.....
      I was wondering when someone would catch on to that part.

It's not necessarily that secret though it is implied as such.......and yes, there are indeed somethings which can come under a non disclosure act.

Like a few weeks ago. My apartment handy man asked me some aspect about my police related diving activities and I had to come up with something that was readily understandable, quick to say, but probably wasn't the kind of stuff we want the general public to know. So I told him a small section about evidence collection.

It's just that often what I can talk about is either so boring it's not interesting or it is so technical that it really would only mean something to someone in that field.

For example, the other day I was at a party and we were talking about a pet project of mine of GIS and counter trafficking and I was asked how I might go about that.

"Well, let's see, two ways. Personal, if we had a smuggler we could interview, intensely, work up a psychology/psychiatric forensic on him, so we know which way he will turn and then use that to enter the computer. Of course, we are talking bionics here, no wait, that's physical or a model and we want a mental model but not to enter the computer with that but to be able to refer to.

"Or we could figure out the many different factors of a smuggling operation, how they approach the mission, where the mine fields are, the routes for marching people, the supply points, the turn over locations, a lot of fuzzy logic, build equations with that, feed it into something like ARCGIS and see what it produces.......a massive project, all thought up in three minutes."

And about the scattering part? Well, I often work with police and when they find that out, of who I associate with, you might as well have told them you work for the narcotics squad.
      (Caught in a situation where panic is overwhelming her rapid training, Sarah Gerrard spills her cookies. "My real name is Sarah, not Jan. Section One recruited me because I look like Jan and they need to know where the detonators are!"......and then Michael appears and shoots the perp dead who is holding her in his arms.
      "It's best if you do not mention Section One."--Michael, calmly, (w,stte), LFN "Before I Sleep")
      Last edited by SnowLeopard; 19 Sep 09,, 18:52.

Comment

Instead of a second telephone, how about "Disposable" email accounts/addresses? If the trust in the relationship goes past the emailing stage, then telephone numbers. Technology has left me far behind but I'm guessing call blocking is available on all telephone accounts these days if you land a creep.

Comment

Well, the catch is that the second telephone is there, now. Still assigned to the mission it was bought for, but unused.....and it may come back into my possession for various reasons.

I do use various email accounts for people I meet on line.....and use various methods to avoid the high value phone lines when they ask for my number including ways to avoid caller ID......but there you go, that's the way of relationships. They don't want your email, they want your phone number.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowLeopard View Post
            Well, the catch is that the second telephone is there, now. Still assigned to the mission it was bought for, but unused.....and it may come back into my possession for various reasons.

I do use various email accounts for people I meet on line.....and use various methods to avoid the high value phone lines when they ask for my number including ways to avoid caller ID......but there you go, that's the way of relationships. They don't want your email, they want your phone number.

Comment

Working...
            X