Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Were You When You Heard the News on 9/11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I posted this somewhere before but can't find it. I was in my civies at NDHQ when the 1st plane struck. Did not pay any attention since such plane accidents happenned before. When the 2nd plane struck, we all took notice. By noon, anyone not wearing a uniform, including all civilian reservists, of which I was at the the time, was sent home. Nobody without a uniform was allowed in at NDHQ from 12 noon on.

I was back at NDHQ by 13:00 in Battle Dress, trying to assertain who amongs the secondary reserves we can call up. The primary reserves call themselves up.

Never occurred to me to ask who was responsible but that the Americans would need military engineers was not a question.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
      I posted this somewhere before but can't find it. I was in my civies at NDHQ when the 1st plane struck. Did not pay any attention since such plane accidents happenned before. When the 2nd plane struck, we all took notice. By noon, anyone not wearing a uniform, including all civilian reservists, of which I was at the the time, was sent home. Nobody without a uniform was allowed in at NDHQ from 12 noon on.

I was back at NDHQ by 13:00 in Battle Dress, trying to assertain who amongs the secondary reserves we can call up. The primary reserves call themselves up.

Never occurred to me to ask who was responsible but that the Americans would need military engineers was not a question.
      God bless you.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post

Moves me more than a little. Thank you.
        To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Senior year in high school. The high school social studies teacher across the hall burst in our 1st hour English class to tell us a commuter plane had crashed into the WTC. I imagined that a "commuter" plane was one of those twin-prop planes used for short hauls. A few minutes later, the English teacher dismissed class and half the high school gathered in the social studies room to watch it on the TV. Most people at the time thought it was an accident.

Second plane crashed, and for good minute or two, I thought it was merely a replay of the first plane crashed. Couldn't hear what they were saying on the news due to the noise in the room. Couple hours later they started making everybody go to class. Third hour a girl, one of those types of had her head in the sky and thought she'd be going to fancy schools but ended up getting knocked up prom night and waiting tables after high school, made a comment like "It happened like, 2 hours ago, get over it!"

I was the first one that I recall to say that it was like another Pearl Harbor. A teacher here and there tried to discourage speculation that it was Arab terrorists, one of them citing McVeigh in Oklahoma.

I remember getting home from school and everybody being in a rush to get gas. Taking every car they had and filling them up.

I burned with pretty extreme anger about it for weeks, months. The event was what got me involved with political/military forums.
          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

In my room relaxing between classes at the Naval Academy. I heard about the first plane hitting the tower, and walked off to my physics class. 10 minutes into the class, a teacher walked in and told us class was dismissed, to go back to our barracks and watch tv. I ended up guarding the rifle team room in the Academy's basement with my watch belt and bayonet. God help the terrorist who would have walked down the stairs into my AO.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
              Senior year in high school. The high school social studies teacher across the hall burst in our 1st hour English class to tell us a commuter plane had crashed into the WTC. I imagined that a "commuter" plane was one of those twin-prop planes used for short hauls. A few minutes later, the English teacher dismissed class and half the high school gathered in the social studies room to watch it on the TV. Most people at the time thought it was an accident.

Second plane crashed, and for good minute or two, I thought it was merely a replay of the first plane crashed. Couldn't hear what they were saying on the news due to the noise in the room. Couple hours later they started making everybody go to class. Third hour a girl, one of those types of had her head in the sky and thought she'd be going to fancy schools but ended up getting knocked up prom night and waiting tables after high school, made a comment like "It happened like, 2 hours ago, get over it!"

I was the first one that I recall to say that it was like another Pearl Harbor. A teacher here and there tried to discourage speculation that it was Arab terrorists, one of them citing McVeigh in Oklahoma.

I remember getting home from school and everybody being in a rush to get gas. Taking every car they had and filling them up.

I burned with pretty extreme anger about it for weeks, months. The event was what got me involved with political/military forums.
              So, you're over it now, or what?

Me, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                Coming from someone who apparently can't even read my last 2 posts I'll give that all due weight.

For those who struggle to read, I'll repeat myself. The question (yours I believe) was . If you read what I actually wrote, I assumed it was AQ (right first time, imagine).

I also theorized briefly that the only other group capable of mounting this sort of op in America & crazy enough to actually do so were locals - something like the crew who did Oklahoma city (I'm calling them White Supremacists for ease, though other terms might be more appropriate). Had you bothered to read what I wrote you will also realize that I thought this unlikely & gave reasons why.

Out of respect for the topic of the thread I'm not going to show you the lack of respect that you have showed me by launching into any further insults about your nationality or intelligence.
                You know, I asked the question,

Bigfella, it might not seem like it, but I do appreciate your posts. Alcohol might had something to do with my post, so I do apologize.

But I do want to elaborate why I was stunned when you mentioned white supremacists. Ok, White Supremacists are bad, yes they're very racist, but from my understanding I can say that they're the most patriotic of them all. They think America belongs to them, so why on earth would they bring harm to their mother land? That's what I was thinking when you brought it up, that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                  So, you're over it now, or what?

Me, not so much.
                  I'm just a Canadian, from one of the most peaceful countries in the world, yet, I cannot forget 9/11. Too much anger, man.

Comment

It was an ordinary evening like any other. The whole family was at home relaxing. I went back to my room to unwind and turned on the TV. I was watching Boston Public when my sister knocked on my door and told me to go to CNN, ASAP. I didn’t think it was anything serious (how self-centered of me!) and tuned in 20 minutes later, when both towers were already on fire and chaos reigned.

We were all stunned. And as speculation continued, we were afraid that Hong Kong might be next. We thought this was some coordinated global attack at first. All sorts of thoughts went through my mind, and I did suspect this was the work of Islamic terrorists.

What a day to remember. That day definitely altered the course of global politics and affairs, and changed how the US viewed the rest of the world, indefinitely.

Nebula82.
                    Last edited by nebula82; 26 Sep 09,, 14:29.

Comment

I was working in the Guidance office at the High School when a student came in to my office in tears saying one of the twin towers had been hit by a plane. At first we thought it was an "accident", but then we watched as it was televised with the second plane hitting the other tower. All hell broke loose in the Student Affairs office as parents were calling in to sign their students out that drove. Then parents started coming in to sign out the non-driving students. We didn't even print up their sign outs, we just took names so we knew who left. Then a student came in telling us the Pentagon had been hit and I felt like I had been hit because I knew people that worked there. I remember going out to my van and just sitting there crying. When I got home, I tried calling my friend in VA to find out if here husband was ok, and couldn't get through. When I finally did, she said it was over 10 hours before she heard from him. I could only imagine how she was feeling. Now, every year on 9/11, we have a moment of silence and even give the kids a chance to say a prayer if they wish to do so.
                      “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
                      "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
                      sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=

But I do want to elaborate why I was stunned when you mentioned white supremacists. Ok, White Supremacists are bad, yes they're very racist, but from my understanding I can say that they're the most patriotic of them all. They think America belongs to them, so why on earth would they bring harm to their mother land? That's what I was thinking when you brought it up, that's all.[/QUOTE]

Obviously off topic, but are you familiar with the Order, or the Revolution, or any other aryan ideas? Familiar with the book, "The Turner Diaries"? Aryans have no problem bringing harm to America if it they think it will racially cleanse the land. That's all I've got.

Comment

Originally posted by wakewithastart View Post
                          Obviously off topic, but are you familiar with the Order, or the Revolution, or any other aryan ideas? Familiar with the book, "The Turner Diaries"? Aryans have no problem bringing harm to America if it they think it will racially cleanse the land. That's all I've got.
                          You're a noob. Go to the welcome page and give an introduction if you even want me to consider taking you seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by wakewithastart View Post
                            Off topic... I am fairly familiar with the Order and The Turner Diaries. That is 25+ years back. I didn't really contemplate the possibility of WN's being responsible for 9/11. There are elements that actively promote a violent overthrow of "ZOG", just check out www.stormfront.*org. But, I don't think they are capable of doing what AQ did (at this point).
                            Aut vincere aut mori

Comment

Originally posted by Mobbme View Post
                              You're a noob. Go to the welcome page and give an introduction if you even want me to consider taking you seriously.
                              And maybe you could be a little more polite to strangers?;)
                              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

I am not an American but I would never forget 9/11 for the rest of my life. Strange that I still remember what I was doing when I saw it on TV. I was the battalion duty medic in the medical centre and was watching T.V and having my instant noodles dinner along with the division duty medic. The moment we saw the second plane crash, we knew that this was a terrorist incident and interestingly concluded immediately that Bin Laden must be behind it. We knew that life wouldn't be the same even in faraway Singapore.

I also remember the reaction of my Muslim soldier friends. While the Malay Muslims here never celebrated the event, most of them initially refused to blame Bin Laden unless shown evidence....
                                Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Working...
                                X