Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Were You When You Heard the News on 9/11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was working security for a TV station near Munich. I had just gotten back from a walk about and was having a coffee when one of the employees came over and told me to turn the TV in our area to CNN, which we did, damn WTF., it took about 10 seconds for me to realize what was happening and what the consequences were going to be, then the next plane hit. Double damn. Someone is going to pay dearly for this.

For the rest of the shift I was lost in my thoughts, a co-worker a guy called Gerd asked me what's up, so I told him straight off, that the buildings would be collapsing in an hour or two, and we'd be at war with whoever did this, he called BS on both counts, he was wrong. I only wish that I'd been wrong, watching all those emergency services pouring into the area, I just knew they were doomed, and I couldn't do a thing about it.

RIP:(

Tony
    Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

I was on my way to my only class on Tuesday, BioPsych. As I sat down to class, classmates were mentioning that a plane had crashed into one of the towers. Having a family with a long aviation history and background, alarm bells went off in my head. Planes just dont fly that way... class go out early and I headed to the PX and sat down and spent much of that day in front of CNN. Hard to describe what I felt. There was a lot of anger to be sure, but it paled in comparison to the feeling I had that someone had somehow reached into me and ripped the soul from my body. The school as a whole was on a razor's edge (I guess to be expected for a military college.) Many of my fellow cadets were members of the VA Guard and were called up to help at the Pentagon. Many instructors had "disappeared" by the next morning, General Zinni being one of them.

Now here we are, eight years later. Recently I went to one of my customer sites in lower Manhattan and from the roof of the building I could look down into "Ground Zero." While looking down, I thought to myself, "Now, I have some idea what a rape victim feels like. Violated, just simply violated." I know I would like to see the enemies of this nation and our way of life "bathe in lakes of blood" as Shakespere's Marc Antony says, but I can't help but feel that all the blood in the world can right the wrong that occurred on that morning...
      Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Hit Often...

Comment

I was at railway station when somebody told me about it. I rushed back to my T.V room only to watch the 2nd plane ram into the towers. The 1st and only thought that came to my mind was, "bomb the bastards to eternity".
        sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

I was in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia on one of the Main Streets when I saw the Television Footage. Unfortunately the Arabs were cheering.

Comment

I was at home getting ready for school when my Mom called home asking if I had the news on and something about a plane hitting the World Trade Center. I remember thinking "how the heck do you hit a skyscraper in a plane?" also had the image of a Cessna or something similar being the plane or perhaps inclement weather and a sort of repeat of when the B-25 hit the Empire State Building. I turned on the news and noticed that conditions are clear and almost immediately after truning on the TV I see the live image of the second plane hitting the tower. After seeing the second plane hit my first thought was "Bastards" I still remember the exact spot I was standing by the head of the stairs and kitchen. I don't think I will ever forget that moment. I think maximusslade said it best a lot of anger but also that feeling of your soul being ripped out.

No Sept 11 passes for me without a moment thinking about and praying for the victims and the men and women working to prevent this from happening again.

I will agree though with 7thsfsniper, too many, not all but too many, in my generation have forgotten.

Comment

I watched again a documentary last night called ,,,the falling man,,, a negro guy had fallen from one of the towers and some guy video,d it ,a family was interviewed about it who were possibly his family however no I/D was ever taken ,,, very sad .For all families .
              Last edited by tankie; 14 Sep 09,, 03:34.

Comment

I was getting ready for work, when another Marine who had EASed at the same time as me called to let me know. I didn't have a television or internet, but was glued to the radio for days.

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                I will agree though with 7thsfsniper, too many, not all but too many, in my generation have forgotten.
                The vast majority of the nation forget before the first or second anniversary. It is just another day now.
                Last edited by silentsam; 14 Sep 09,, 03:28.
                Aut vincere aut mori

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
                  I was in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia on one of the Main Streets when I saw the Television Footage. Unfortunately the Arabs were cheering.
                  So were some Italians. So were some Greeks, some Chinese, some university professors right here in the U.S.

And I hate every dam' one of 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                    So were some Italians. So were some Greeks, some Chinese, some university professors right here in the U.S.

And I hate every dam' one of 'em.
                    Really, that is unbelievable, should have deported the lot of them.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                      I watched again a documentary last night called ,,,the falling man,,, a negro guy had fallen from one of the towers and some guy video,d it ,a family was interviewed about it who were possibly his family however no I/D was ever taken ,,, very sad .For all families .
                      I watched that over the weekend too. They did eventually identify the guy, he was Hispanic, they were interviewing his Wife and Daughter.

Still very sad. The other amazing thing that came out on the Doco, was the fact that the Coroners office was denying that there were any jumpers, weird.

Comment

I was on my way back out to the tank range. My unit was in the middle of a NET gunnery transitioning from the M1A2 to the M1A2 SEP. I got sent in for a night at home by the boss before we started Table VIII. I was on my way back in to get my truck and head out to the range. I was listening to Howard Stern when they broke in to announce the first impact. Lots of confusion as to what had happened. The second plane hit as I was pulling into the parking lot. I rode out to the range an told the BN leadership what had happened. The commo guys rigged a bi-polar antenna out of commo wire and we all watched the events unfold. The entire post was put in an immediate training hold.
                        Tanks, Fender Strats and Texas BBQ!

Comment

I was on my way to class at my college in Boston when somebody told me a plane had hit the WTC. Remembering that some idiot had paraglided onto the S.o.L's torch earlier in the week I figured it was probably the same band of idiots who had crashed a cessna into the tower. I actually laughed about it, as I had just been at the WTC 4 days prior with my girlfriend at the time and we tried to head up to windows on the world but the line was too long. I still have the sunglasses I bought in Tobin Plaza that day.

About an hour later while sitting in my class across the street from the Massachusetts State House I watched the BPD and Mass State Police riot wagons come screaming up the street and the cops piling out in full tactical gear with MG's and run into the building. About 3 seconds later a Mass State Police officer burst through the door, weapon out of holster at his side and said "Everybody Out! They're bombing the Pentagon"

By the time I made it back to my apartment it was all over, both towers were down and 4 family friends were no more. My Aunt was 3 blocks away and watched people jumping all morning before she was evacuated. My Mom, who works at a NYC hospital was on lockdown for 2 days waiting for casualties that never came.

Oddly enough, now I work across the street from Ground Zero on the 44th and top floor of my building no less. I get my coffee from a cart on the corner of the new 7 WTC. Came to work last Friday just like I have the last 3 years and it still gets to me even though I wasnt here like alot of other people in my office were, almost at eye level with the 2nd plane when it hit

Nobody in NYC has forgotten what 9/11 is and was, thats for sure.
                          You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Originally posted by Rumrunner View Post
                            Nobody in NYC has forgotten what 9/11 is and was, thats for sure.
                            I wish that really were true.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
                              I watched that over the weekend too. They did eventually identify the guy, he was Hispanic, they were interviewing his Wife and Daughter.

Still very sad. The other amazing thing that came out on the Doco, was the fact that the Coroners office was denying that there were any jumpers, weird.
                              Some solace and release then C/A for that family .. RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                                I wish that really were true.
                                I'm not talking about the waste of life hipster trust fund babies from Illinois, Tennesee or wherever they were getting their asses kicked daily in high school living here until it gets too tough for them to pursue their life of 1980s feigned basic living. Feck them.

Come with me to work next 9/11. Ride with me on the subway to park place and then walk past Fitterman Hall, still being demolished with giant hole in its side, walk between 7 WTC and the former Verizon Building in full view of the pit and the Deutsche Bank building down a street which was covered in debris and bodies after the attack, cross the god awful footbridge across West St seeing the reconstruction and look at everyones faces. The faces who were there were unmistakable. Those who werent like myself seem like some kind of outsider to an god-awful inside joke.

Then get to my desk at 830, then understand if you were and less than 1000 yards to the right from where I and my colleagues sit in 01 you'd probably be dead today or dealing with serious PTSD. Work the day with your coworkers who were there looking out the window nonstop as the ceremonies across the steet go on.

Or even better, work and live and be friends or family with people who never got bodies back. One of my best family friends only got an email printout back sent at 812 as the only memory of a father of 5.

The only people here who have forgotten are those who are doomed to repeat history. The majority of us, thankfully, have not.

Have a good weekend
                                You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Working...
                                X