SAS Rescue Operation of Reporter Questioned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tankie View Post
    Which is what toemag said , and i agree with .
    I seriously believe that these people won't stop being a nuisance until they have been financially penalised for their Journalistic freedom. I'd like to see them not only get the full bill but sued in a court of law by Corporal John Harrison's family for a few million Dollars compensation. Maybe then they will learn that there is a price to be paid for getting in the way, as a deterrent.

Most of you probably think that I'm a grumpy git, yes I am, if I had my way the journo would do prison time, as well.

If I read the Journos article correctly they were initially given the chance to get out of there, but as the driver had the key's, they were knackered, for the sake of a spare key to their vehicle costing a few dollars they ended up costing peoples live's, which is unforgivable.

Tony
    Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

Why can't non embedded or attached civilian persons who are kidnapped by the bad guys be liberated by Blackwater or any other private security company???

Tony

Comment

Because allowing these private security companies to operate in that way would violate a number of international treaties?

Remember, guard ops ok for PMCs, offensives big nono. And even if Afghanistan never signed Protocol I, the US signed it in '77, and (for RC N) Germany as the immediately responsible command both signed and ratified it.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
          Because allowing these private security companies to operate in that way would violate a number of international treaties?

Remember, guard ops ok for PMCs, offensives big nono. And even if Afghanistan never signed Protocol I, the US signed it in '77, and (for RC N) Germany as the immediately responsible command both signed and ratified it.
          Thanks for the info kato, that's an old law, and was only applicable to the 70's, let's just spend a minute or an hour thinking of just how many international treaties have been either totally ignored, or infringed upon in the last 8years or so.

If my memory serves me rightly there is a video on you tube where the civilian contractors are on a buildings roof shooting people at long range, which is one of many instances where that particular treaty has been aptly ignored.

I wonder what they would want for such a operation.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by toemag View Post
            Why can't non embedded or attached civilian persons who are kidnapped by the bad guys be liberated by Blackwater or any other private security company???

Tony
            They wouldn't be good enough to pull off such a stunt.

Comment

Military cross for bayonet charge
              A British army officer who, after running out of ammunition, used his bayonet to charge a Taliban fighter has been awarded the Military Cross.

Lt James Adamson, who is 24 and serves with the Royal Regiment of Scotland, was given the medal for his "supreme physical courage".

His actions while on tour in Afghanistan saved the lives of soldiers in his platoon.

He said he ran out of ammunition after killing one man, so charged the second.

Lt Adamson, who is from the Isle of Man, and part of the 5th Battalion, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, said: "To be honest it was pretty terrifying.

"I think more so after the event - as it was going on there was fractions of a second between the first guy and the second guy.

"By the time I realised the danger was there, it was already gone.

"It was the kind of the two or three minutes after that, where myself and Corporal Hamilton were still on our own - just waiting for the reserve section to echelon through and pick us up - that we were pretty convinced that if there were two there, there could have been more.

"So we were there waiting for the rest to turn up and I think that was probably the longest two minutes of my life."

The citation for Lt Adamson's award - as detailed on the MoD website - reads: "Adamson' supreme physical courage, combined with the calm leadership he continued to display after a very close encounter with the Taliban, were of the very highest order.

"His actions also neutralised an enemy flanking attack which could have resulted in casualties for his platoon."

Story from BBC NEWS:
              BBC NEWS | UK | Military cross for bayonet charge

Comment

Originally posted by toemag View Post
                If my memory serves me rightly there is a video on you tube where the civilian contractors are on a buildings roof shooting people at long range, which is one of many instances where that particular treaty has been aptly ignored.Tony
                I've seen that video; the caption says it's Blackwater contractors, but who knows?
                "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Working...
                X