SAS Rescue Operation of Reporter Questioned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAS Rescue Operation of Reporter Questioned

My condolences and prayers to the SAS operator who gave his life so that others may live.

Unfortunately, the second guessing has begun.

Negotiators were "optimistic" that Farrell and Munadi would be freed within days, without payment of a ransom. Hostage-taking is a long-standing Afghan practice and almost always ends with captives being freed in exchange for money after days or weeks of haggling. But in this case, sources tell TIME, the senior Taliban commanders of Kunduz were "acting reasonably" and seemed willing to hand the reporter and his aide over without a payoff.
    Hours before the British raid, Munadi was allowed to place a cell-phone call to his worried parents to reassure them that he and Farrell would soon be released. When the British commandos made their surprise attack on the house where the pair were being held, the two men rushed out. Munadi died in the firefight, shouting, "Journalist! Journalist!"

Stephen Farrell's Release: Questions About British Raid - TIME

I thought those were SBS, not SAS?

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
      I thought those were SBS, not SAS?
      The article does say "SAS" by name, but I suppose they could just as easily have been SBS.
      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Now, now people. I wish 'Reporters' would be accurate in their reporting. Now let me correct a few things here. The British are not saying who went in and undertook this 'Rescue Mission'. If it were SAS and a Soldier was killed they would have said 'Trooper & NOT Commando'. A point to note also is that the soldier killed wqas a Para; the Para's are not in Afghanistan, they were there on the previous Herrick Tour!!!!! Now if an SAS Trooper was killed, he would not be named as an SAS Trooper as they don't report their dead; what actually happens is that if a Trooper does die he will be announced as K.I.A. from his sponsor Regiment. i.e. If I were in the SAS and was K.I.A. It would be announced as Cpl/Sgt etc. from the Royal Tank Regiment.

So to that end if there are no Para's in Afghanistan, yet a Para was killed, then it would have been the SAS that undertook the rescue mission.

'WHO DARES WINS'. You never beat the clock, R.I.P. you brave warrior.

Comment

Thank you for the correction, CA; I suppose that's a little like the US Gov't saying that a "Special Forces soldier" was killed when, in reality, it was probably a D-boy (Delta).

Also, when you say "sponsor", I'm assuming you mean the organization that the SAS soldier originally came from before he was SAS? That makes sense; when old Beckwith first started recruiting D-boys over here in the US back in the '70's, the recruits were still technically on the payroll of their original organization (USA SF, SEAL's, LRRP's, etc.).
          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
            Thank you for the correction, CA; I suppose that's a little like the US Gov't saying that a "Special Forces soldier" was killed when, in reality, it was probably a D-boy (Delta).

Also, when you say "sponsor", I'm assuming you mean the organization that the SAS soldier originally came from before he was SAS? That makes sense; when old Beckwith first started recruiting D-boys over here in the US back in the '70's, the recruits were still technically on the payroll of their original organization (USA SF, SEAL's, LRRP's, etc.).
            Got it in one Stitch, they come from all over the Armed Forces, mainly Marines and Paras', but there are a few other mixed in there too i.e. Armoured Corps, a few Engineers, The Royal Marines, normally go for SBS, but saying that you also get 'Boot Necks' (Royal Marines) in the SAS. There is huge rivalry between the SBS and SAS, all good for competition.

Comment

I will try and clarify by tomorrow.

Comment

Another point to note guys. The correct terminology is 'Royal Marines Commando'. A Commando is a Unit i.e. 42 Commando.

Comment

assuming the soldier was a 'Para' - and the BBC seem pretty sure of their facts - he was almost certainly not a member of 22SAS, SBS or SRR, but of 1PARA Special Forces Support Group.

the op was way up north, well out of the main Herrick area of operations, so whichever unit did the deed its not one that's part of the UK mainforce in Helmand.

RIP.
                  before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.................... then when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

From what I have read it sounds like an SBS operation supported by SFSG.

What I find odd is the finger pointing at UK Gov Plc. I know they get a veto on SF jobs but dont the orders come from McCrystal (or however you spell it) for SF ops?

As far as I know UK SF are not under the command of our Helmand taskforce/battlegroup.

All in all, job done, RIP lad :(

Comment

A waste of life , Farrel was TOLD not to go but he ignored the advice , he has just been on the beeb saying he made a mistake , yup ya sure did you WANKER , but your still alive . He said he was comfortable with the decision to go there but stayed too long ,
                      Last edited by tankie; 10 Sep 09,, 12:10.

Comment

Heres another brave guy ;)

A Royal Marine is to be awarded a Military Cross after saving up to 30 lives
                        Rugby tackle on bomber saved lives

Sergeant Noel Connolly was serving in Afghanistan last November with 3 Commando Brigade.

The 41-year-old, from Manchester, tackled the bomber who was riding towards his troop on a motorbike packed with 150lb of explosives, the Sun reported.

According to the paper, Sgt Connolly "hauled" the bomber from his saddle before he was able to detonate the explosives.

Sgt Connolly said: "I'm not brave at all. Someone had to stop him."

Major Rich Cantrill told the Sun: "Sgt Connolly is incredibly modest about what he did."

The award is due to be announced with other recipients of honours for gallantry and meritorious service.

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said most of the Operational Honours and Awards list are predominantly from the 3 Commando Brigade Task Force that deployed to Afghanistan in 2008, but it also includes others involved in operations in Iraq and in the UK.

Comment

Here's a link to that story Tankie.

Rugby tackle on bomber saved lives - Yahoo! News UK

Tony
                          Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

Originally posted by toemag View Post
                            Here's a link to that story Tankie.

Rugby tackle on bomber saved lives - Yahoo! News UK

Tony

Danke , noch ein beer bitte ;)

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                              A waste of life , Farrel was TOLD not to go but he ignored the advice , he has just been on the beeb saying he made a mistake , yup ya sure did you WANKER , but your still alive . He said he was comfortable with the decision to go there but stayed too long ,
                              i disagree entirely, the job of serious journalism is utterly fundamental to a democratic society - the day the public stop knowing what is happening because journalism is 'too dangerous' or 'puts other people at risk should things go wrong' is the day our votes become a menace to our society.

you'll know that the MoD has been very reticent about allowing journalists into the battle areas of Helmand because it doesn't like the coverage they provide - only the courage of those who went anyway has informed the public debate about the cronic lack of defence spending, the waste of life caused by the lack of troops, and the dodgy elections we may end up enforcing.

or would you rather not know about that?
                              before criticizing someone, walk a mile in their shoes.................... then when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

Working...
                              X