The Fourth Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fourth Star

My guess is that many of you will find this upcoming book interesting, and so I'm posting the link so you can pre-order it. I haven't read it, but I liked Greg Jaffe's work in the WSJ as their senior military correspondent, and so I'm sure this will be just as good.

Amazon.com: The Fourth Star: Four Generals and the Epic Struggle for the Future of the United States Army (9780307409065): Greg Jaffe, David Cloud: Books
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

sounds like a good read Shek. I look forward to the perspectives of WAB's learned readership.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

I just finished reading the book and found it to be an enjoyable read. Not as detailed as I would have liked - not sure if that was an editorial choice or just a matter of getting the book out more quickly while it still had some currency. It's interesting to see how each of the generals crossed each others' paths as they ascended through the ranks.
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

shek,

when i saw the thread title-- first thought that went through my mind was that boy, you sure got promoted right quick
        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
          shek,

when i saw the thread title-- first thought that went through my mind was that boy, you sure got promoted right quick
          I thought he had gotten another gold star on his forhead in school!

Kind of related to this, have you ever read Rick Atkinson's In the Company of Soldiers: A Chronicle of Combat? I enjoyed it immensely.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            I thought he had gotten another gold star on his forhead in school!

Kind of related to this, have you ever read Rick Atkinson's In the Company of Soldiers: A Chronicle of Combat? I enjoyed it immensely.
            I read it in Mosul back in 2004, but I don't remember specifically from it. I like his work and still need to read the second volume in his WWII trilogy. I think the last volume is due out next summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
              I read it in Mosul back in 2004, but I don't remember specifically from it. I like his work and still need to read the second volume in his WWII trilogy. I think the last volume is due out next summer.

Gee, I wonder why you don't recall it from reading it while in Mosul, Mr Stryker Rifle Company Commander with Nothing Else on Your mind!

And I was hoping his third would be out by Christmas...rats!

His second was better than his first, IMHO.
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                IKind of related to this, have you ever read Rick Atkinson's In the Company of Soldiers: A Chronicle of Combat? I enjoyed it immensely.
                I enjoyed the heck out of that book AR,now I need to look for the other ones:).
                "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                X