My computer under siege.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My computer under siege.......

Over the past week or so there have been about 8 viruses attach themselves to my computer thanks to my son and "I-Tunes". Now nothing works or can be found,everything locks up and I am informed constantly about specific viruses and warned pretty much that the sky is about to collapse. We have decided to replace the entire system with a newer,updated version and I most certainly will not give up any info to anybody ever again.....hope my son heard me. This is going to be a very expensive mistake.See you all later.......maybe.

Originally posted by Exarecr View Post
    Over the past week or so there have been about 8 viruses attach themselves to my computer thanks to my son and "I-Tunes". Now nothing works or can be found,everything locks up and I am informed constantly about specific viruses and warned pretty much that the sky is about to collapse. We have decided to replace the entire system with a newer,updated version and I most certainly will not give up any info to anybody ever again.....hope my son heard me. This is going to be a very expensive mistake.See you all later.......maybe.
    Good luck Ex'...spare the rod spoil the child...only kidding

Comment

Why not just format your harddrive(s)?

Viruses are all over the 'net, always getting updated....maybe your system's virus scanner was not up-to-date?

Best of luck.

Nebula82.
      Last edited by nebula82; 03 Sep 09,, 17:19.

Comment

That's why I:-

refused to buy them an I-pod
        bought a laptop
        gave them my old desktop set up
        showed them how to maintain the anti virus program and how to use it.

My laptop is 100% hot, but their PC has started running slower, just makes me wonder what they are using the web for, even installed McAfee site Advisor for them to be able to have some sort of a warning before they visit the WWW address that they got from their school mates.

When it goes down for the count, I'll delete their hard drive, and re-install everything for them, that's what dads are for, or better yet, get a better laptop and give them the one I'm currently using.

Tony
        Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

Tell me about it, I'm hanging on for dear life over here

So far, my computer freezes when I turn on my external drive, and now my computer keeps restarting if I have the internet wire connected to my P.C. I have this device that I insert into my USB port which connects me to the internet WIRELESS LOLL Until something else screws up, I'm not buying a new computer :P

Comment

You might try malwarebytes to start with, you can get it here -
            Malwarebytes.org
            If you can't access the net from that machine, you'll have to download it and the updates onto another computer and transfer it to that one and install it.
            Unfortunately, the cure is sometimes worse than the disease and depending on what you have exactly, might not fix the problem.
            Worse case, backup the data and reformat and reinstall the OS. That's the most drastic solution but it is something that will fix it and it's much cheaper than buying a new machine.

Comment

Well,the new system is ordered,and I have decided a short course on the function and "inner workings" of the computer is a must. At the moment I am using Netscape Navigator,the only functioning link I can get. When I do dispose of the old set, is there not some kind of disc or something I should remove to insure my privacy? I hear about this all the time when people throw away their old equipment.

Comment

This will nuke the data on the drive -
                Darik's Boot And Nuke | Hard Drive Disk Wipe and Data Clearing
                But if you want to learn about how things work, keep the old machine and use it as a learning tool. The hardware is fine most likely, everything else is software.Wipe the OS off and reinstall it a couple times, try software out on it. Try a diff OS like one of the Linux distros. One the best ways to learn is to try things out. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty, it's just a machine.

And be sure to get any data off it if you can. If you can't any data, find an external hard drive housing. You can pull the drive from your old machine, put it that and be able to access most it not all of your data. It's a simple thing to do, plenty of info available online that will walk you through that step by step. If you can assemble flatpack furniture, you can so this.
                Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X