Binge drinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Binge drinking

Any thoughts on this one boys n girls ,,in the 80/90s the laws were changed to all day drinking , and then in 2005 the law was changed again to pave the way for 24 hour drinking , the govt was warned about the effects of the change but chose to ignore it , pubs are closing at an alarming rate in the uk ,village pubs and housing estate pubs were communities ,, not any more tho , but they still push the prices up ,the normal price for a pint are between 2 to 3 pounds , London being more , when the laws were changed from the opening hours of 11 am to 3 pm , then 7pm to 10.30 pm last orders and shut at 11 pm and the normal price of a pint was about (in the N/E where i lived about 6 shillings ) ,the effects of binge drinking was hardly noticed on the streets , except when nightclubs kicked out , usually at 2am ,the change in lwas i think were to try to be more of a european style drinking culture where drinking is more of a social thing and not just boozed up , like in France where they sit on chairs on pavements and drink with meals and are responsible with it , dont get me wrong tho , i like a good booze up myself , but liked to brew my own , central europe and the UK ,, different cultures .

AND NOW THIS

£100m Campaign To Call Time On Binge-Drinking .

The move comes as research shows that almost one in four young people have been ashamed of their appearance while drunk within the past 12 months, a quarter have not known how they have got home, and nearly a third have blacked out.

But a third of young adults claim they do not need any advice about alcohol, according to the YouGov survey of more than 2,000 people aged 18-24.

The Why Let Good Times Go Bad? initiative, hailed by organisers as the biggest ever campaign to tackle binge-drinking among young adults, urges 18 to 24-year-olds to evaluate their drinking habits in a bid to change the social acceptability of drunkenness.

Chris Sorek, chief executive of alcohol charity Drinkaware, said: "Changing the drinking culture in Britain won't happen overnight but, with the right support, information and advice, young adults can change their own drinking patterns.

"Some young adults think they know all there is to know about alcohol, but simple tips like eating before going out drinking, pacing yourself with water or soft drinks, looking after your mates and planning your journey home, can help them stay safe and prevent their good times going bad."

Alcohol misuse costs the NHS about £2.7 billion per year and 49,300 people aged 16 to 24 were admitted to hospital in England and Wales in 2007/08 due to alcohol-related causes.

But a Cabinet Office report last year estimated the wider cost to society - including crime and disorder, social and family breakdown and sickness absence - at closer to £25.1 billion.

The campaign, which is backed by the Government and the drinks industry, will see warnings placed on 13 million products, including neck labels on bottles, cans and multipacks, and pubs, phoneboxes, supermarkets and off-licences will carry campaign posters, drink mats, and stickers presenting "tips for smarter drinking", Drinkaware said.

Health Secretary Andy Burnham said alcohol has become a serious health problem "for too many" people. "The alcohol industry has a big responsibility to tackle excessive drinking and there are many things we can do, by working together, to promote a healthy attitude to alcohol," he said. "This campaign is a good step forward - I hope it will help to change attitudes.
    Last edited by tankie; 01 Sep 09,, 10:02.

How did I guess that YOU would have started this thread.:));)
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Make casual social drinking acceptable again and binge drinking might go down.

-dale

Comment

Ontario drinking laws are too strict. Can't buy from the Liquor/Beer stores past 11 (on weekends though) and not past 9pm on weekdays, can't buy alcohol after 2am from pubs/clubs, and cannot drink in public places.

MTL and Calgary they had alcohol in general stores and you can buy it from them past 2am.

Binge Drinking:
        One time my buddies and I walked into a restaurant at 1:30 and ordered a whole lotta drinks, you can't "buy" after 2am, but the restaurant closes at 3am so you're legally allowed to keep drinking till then. The manager kept begging us to finish our drinks before 2:15am for some odd reason, we didn't obey tho. If we did we would've had to chug down alot of beer in a very short period of time and FOR SURE we would've done something stupid

Comment

They are not much different then here in the US. Not much at all.;)

Hell, you guys even have "wet" ships in your navy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
            They are not much different then here in the US. Not much at all.;)

Hell, you guys even have "wet" ships in your navy.
            Can you drink in public in the states?

Comment

Originally posted by Mobbme View Post
              That depends from state to state. Most places are no. Some do so long as there is no container in sight. In other words get rid of the can or bottle and use a pastic cup instead. Sporting events, Private events may differ. It all depends on the state or the town. Some towns are absolutely "dry".

Comment

Officially no but it's rarely enforced. Drinking age enforcement (it's 21 in all US states and territories except Puerto Rico where it's 18) is also rare. DUI/DWI checkpoints were previously rare as well but in recent years they have stepped up enforcement.

Again this is just here on Long Island.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisF202 View Post
                  Officially no but it's rarely enforced. Drinking age enforcement (it's 21 in all US states and territories except Puerto Rico where it's 18) is also rare. DUI/DWI checkpoints were previously rare as well but in recent years they have stepped up enforcement.

Again this is just here on Long Island.
                  Yeah the 21 age limit is ridiculous, no? I think in Quebec they tried to lower it to 18 lol even though its at 19 right now

Comment

That depends from state to state. Most places are no. Some do so long as there is no container in sight. In other words get rid of the can or bottle and use a pastic cup instead. Sporting events, Private events may differ. It all depends on the state or the town. Some towns are absolutely "dry".
                    Yeah, everyone does drink at like lakes and outdoor events, but its illegal. I guess it all depends on the cops.

Comment

How did I guess that YOU would have started this thread.:));)
                      ;)

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                        ;)
                        I'm beginning to realize why they call you Tankie now :P

Don't worry, I'm right behind ya, pass on the Heinekens CHUG CHUG

Comment

No two things (it might be ideas, can't remember) are more inseparable than Britannia and beer.
                          Nulli Secundus
                          People always talk of dying for their country, and never of making the other bastard die for his

Comment

Ontario drinking laws are too strict. Can't buy from the Liquor/Beer stores past 11 (on weekends though) and not past 9pm on weekdays, can't buy alcohol after 2am from pubs/clubs, and cannot drink in public places.

MTL and Calgary they had alcohol in general stores and you can buy it from them past 2am.

Binge Drinking:
                            One time my buddies and I walked into a restaurant at 1:30 and ordered a whole lotta drinks, you can't "buy" after 2am, but the restaurant closes at 3am so you're legally allowed to keep drinking till then. The manager kept begging us to finish our drinks before 2:15am for some odd reason, we didn't obey tho. If we did we would've had to chug down alot of beer in a very short period of time and FOR SURE we would've done something stupid
                            11!!!!

Wow.... I live in the country, in my town the beer store and the LCBO closed at 6pm every night except thursdays and fridays, when it was 9pm. Now, that sucked.

When you missed the 9pm deadline on fridays, we had to drive out to a gas station that had a LCBO in it, which was open untill 11!! however, now it closes at 9pm :(

Luckily, a new LCBO was built in our town, so we can buy liquor and beer untill 9pm every day!! except 6pm on sundays.

Comment

Originally posted by Canmoore View Post
                              11!!!!

Wow.... I live in the country, in my town the beer store and the LCBO closed at 6pm every night except thursdays and fridays, when it was 9pm. Now, that sucked.

When you missed the 9pm deadline on fridays, we had to drive out to a gas station that had a LCBO in it, which was open untill 11!! however, now it closes at 9pm :(

Luckily, a new LCBO was built in our town, so we can buy liquor and beer untill 9pm every day!! except 6pm on sundays.
                              I only know two locations though, that are open till 11 on fridays and saturdays. The rest of the locations LCBO/Beer Stores close at 10pm on Fridays and Saturdays. But generally, its 9pm and Sunday its 6pm :P

When's the latest you can buy at a bar in your town? And which city/province you in m8??!!! I'm speaking on behalf of the GTA in Ontario.

Comment

Working...
                              X