Need New Printer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need New Printer

I'm looking into buying a new printer. I have a Dell computer/printer and it's a real pain because I can't buy the ink cartridges in any stores, I have to order them on-line.

I'm thinking about getting a HP, print, copy, scan and possibly fax.

Are there any other printers that any of you would suggest?
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
    sigpic

Originally posted by Southie View Post
    I'm looking into buying a new printer. I have a Dell computer/printer and it's a real pain because I can't buy the ink cartridges in any stores, I have to order them on-line.

I'm thinking about getting a HP, print, copy, scan and possibly fax.

Are there any other printers that any of you would suggest?
    Southie,

I have had pretty good experiences with Canon printers. They were one of the first to start using the 4 cartidge system that means that you only need to refill the ink colour that runs out - not throw out the whole colour cartiridge when one colour goes (I think others use it now). The quality has always been very good.

I had a HP printer once - I used it until the first ink cartridge ran out, realized that the refil cost more than the printer, and propmtly gave it to my mum (who doesn't print much, so wouldn't be worried by the cost). I don't know if HP cartridges are still that expensive.

Something else to consider - copying can be VERY costly in terms of ink usage because you tend to print the whole page. I got around this by purchasing an inexpensive laser printer that copies & scans (Samsung) & an inexpensive colour printer for my occasional colour needs (Canon). Of course, I do a lot of black & white printing & quite a bit of home copying, so this works out well for me. Might not for you.

My tip is always to price the cartirdges first & work out what it will cost to use the brand you buy, then worry about brands.

Good luck.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
      Southie,

I have had pretty good experiences with Canon printers. They were one of the first to start using the 4 cartidge system that means that you only need to refill the ink colour that runs out - not throw out the whole colour cartiridge when one colour goes (I think others use it now). The quality has always been very good.

I had a HP printer once - I used it until the first ink cartridge ran out, realized that the refil cost more than the printer, and propmtly gave it to my mum (who doesn't print much, so wouldn't be worried by the cost). I don't know if HP cartridges are still that expensive.

Something else to consider - copying can be VERY costly in terms of ink usage because you tend to print the whole page. I got around this by purchasing an inexpensive laser printer that copies & scans (Samsung) & an inexpensive colour printer for my occasional colour needs (Canon). Of course, I do a lot of black & white printing & quite a bit of home copying, so this works out well for me. Might not for you.

My tip is always to price the cartirdges first & work out what it will cost to use the brand you buy, then worry about brands.

Good luck.
      Thanks Big K. Great tips. I have thought about the 4 cartridge printer. The cartridges for the HP aren't that expensive and the only reason I'm looking into the print/copy/scan is because it's on sale at Office Depot for $99.00. Luckily I don't do a lot of copying. I save that for work! ;) I'll take a look at the Canon's too!

Just looked at the sale ads and at Staples they have a Canon MX330 all-in-one for $79.98. I'm just not sure about the fax. Don't really need a fax and one of the reviews I read said it can be a pain and that sometimes you have to unplug the printer for the fax to be disabled!
      Last edited by Southie; 30 Aug 09,, 13:23.
      “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
      sigpic

Comment

I'm just not sure about the fax. Don't really need a fax and one of the reviews I read said it can be a pain and that sometimes you have to unplug the printer for the fax to be disabled!
        I'm a bit of review hound when it comes to spending more than 10 bucks on a book, piece of electronic equipment/toy etc. I have to see what other people's experience has been before plunking down my hard earned cash. I don't rely solely on those reviews of course, but they're definitely an integral part of the buying process.

The hilarious thing that I've found is that, even with a hundred positive reviews (for a printer, let's say) there will always be 1 or 2 thoroughly negative reviews calling the thing a piece of garbage that should never have been sold to anybody.

Seeing those 1 or 2 negative reviews, I have this silly compulsion to idly wonder what prompted it. Was it just a rare factory defect that caused the problem? Occasionally I'm sure that's the case.

But every so often, I'll carefully read the negative review and sense there's an ID10T problem afoot...and other reviewer's response to the negative review will occasionally confirm it.

At that point, I indulge in a rather immature bit of schadenfreude and chuckle to myself for a moment or two.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
          I'm a bit of review hound when it comes to spending more than 10 bucks on a book, piece of electronic equipment/toy etc. I have to see what other people's experience has been before plunking down my hard earned cash. I don't rely solely on those reviews of course, but they're definitely an integral part of the buying process.

The hilarious thing that I've found is that, even with a hundred positive reviews (for a printer, let's say) there will always be 1 or 2 thoroughly negative reviews calling the thing a piece of garbage that should never have been sold to anybody.

Seeing those 1 or 2 negative reviews, I have this silly compulsion to idly wonder what prompted it. Was it just a rare factory defect that caused the problem? Occasionally I'm sure that's the case.

But every so often, I'll carefully read the negative review and sense there's an ID10T problem afoot...and other reviewer's response to the negative review will occasionally confirm it.

At that point, I indulge in a rather immature bit of schadenfreude and chuckle to myself for a moment or two.
          I know what you mean about the reviews. I did end up getting an HP that has faxing capability, but as long as I don't have a designated line for the fax guess I don't have to worry about that.

You ever notice when it comes to reviews of movies, that the ones with bad reviews are actually pretty good movies? :P
          sigpic

Comment

In my experience with printers, Canon, HP, Epson, Lexmark and even an old Xerox one they are all pretty much the same these days (at least for your average home use inkjet). Just do a bit of googling on which company gouges....erm charges least for ink cartridges and then get a printer to match.
            For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Not sure if you bought the printer already, but I would recommend an Epson multi-function printer that uses 4 cartridges.

I bought a cheapie one years ago for $60. Recently I looked on Amazon for ink since the Epson ink costs something like $20 for black and $15 each for red, yellow, and blue. I found compatible ink on Amazon for $20. But this $20 package comes with 4 black, 2 red, 2 yellow, and 2 blue.
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                Not sure if you bought the printer already, but I would recommend an Epson multi-function printer that uses 4 cartridges.

I bought a cheapie one years ago for $60. Recently I looked on Amazon for ink since the Epson ink costs something like $20 for black and $15 each for red, yellow, and blue. I found compatible ink on Amazon for $20. But this $20 package comes with 4 black, 2 red, 2 yellow, and 2 blue.
                I did buy the HP printer. But I did buy one that uses 4 cartridges and the ink runs about $20 for the black and $14 for the color. I'll have to check Amazon and see what they have. Or...I was just thinking now that I can actually walk into a store to get cartridges and not have to order them from Dell, I could check the prices at the BX on MacDill! :))
                sigpic

Comment

I did buy the HP printer. But I did buy one that uses 4 cartridges and the ink runs about $20 for the black and $14 for the color. I'll have to check Amazon and see what they have. Or...I was just thinking now that I can actually walk into a store to get cartridges and not have to order them from Dell, I could check the prices at the BX on MacDill! :))
                  I doubt the genuine stuff will come close to the price of "compatibles."

I did the research on Amazon. Looking at prices and sellers, and user feedbacks. I especially seek out the negative reviews to see what went wrong. I discard rants and user errors. Then I arrived at the one I bought. They have worked pretty well so far. One of the blue cartridges failed to print. The others (black, red, yellow, and the 2nd blue) have worked so far. At $2 a piece, I can tolerate a 20% failure rate.
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

When I got my current printer(EPSON), the store was having a buy one get a second one for $10.00. At first I said no,but then realized the second printer came with ink. I sold the second printer, but kept the ink.

There is something I do not like about the fact that you can get a new printer for $40.00, but the ink refills for the same printer cost $50.00.
                    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

When going through reviews I always ignore a the worst and best reviews and go with something in the middle as being closest to the truth. Too many people are never pleased with anything and others are too easily satisfied. Then there are the plants that build up their own products while tearing down the competition.
                      Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

I just bought a HP J4680 all in one, the main deciding factor was the W-lan and I am very impressed, it work's well and has more software options than I need.

The downside was setting it up, Vista incompatible and required a lot of searching the web and downloading patches and software updates to get it all up and running, but well worth the hassle in the end, as it works. HP is a busy company and they are always updating their software which you get with your automatic updates.

I don't really care about the price of ink or paper all that much as I don't print all that much, but €40 for both the Black and coloured cartridges is reasonable enough. If I consider that I shoot double that amount in ammo at a good range session, others spend more on a night out.

Tony
                        Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

If you're not hung up on color or photo printing, I'd recommend a Brother HL-2140. They regularly retail for $120 but are often marked down to $60. Extremely reliable over 2 years, never had a problem besides a jam or two. The starter cartridge prints over 1500 pages, and if you cover the hole with a piece of tape that the camera reads the ink level from, you can easily go another 500. A refill cartridge over the net is $30 and prints 3000 pages. To compare, an inkjet cartridge will run you $15-30 and give you 200-400 pages.

IMHO, there is no good inkjet printer. They all seem to crap out in a year or less. If it's in your budget, they make color laser printers and I believe multi-function ones. You'd have to check on that. I can definitely vouch for the Brother brand though. And your money will go 10-15 times further when it comes to ink.
                          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. So far I'm happy with the HP printer I bought, but wish I could have held off a little longer to have more comments/comparisons. The only problem I have right now is getting Ashley's laptop configured for the new printer. Not a big deal because she's been using the Dell to do her homework when she needs to print.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X