Iraq may get U.S.’s used F-16s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraq may get U.S.’s used F-16s

Air Force F-16 Fighting Falcons set for retirement next year could end up flying over Iraq as part of the Iraqi military, a top acquisitions official said.

“There is a lot of work to be done [equipping the Iraqi air force]. ... Our work isn’t done yet,” Lt. Gen. Mark Shackelford, military deputy for the Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, told reporters Aug. 27.

Last year, the Iraqi Ministry of Defense asked the U.S. government for permission to buy 36 F-16s, enough to equip two squadrons, from Lockheed Martin Corp. The aircraft manufacturer, though, can’t deliver all the planes by the end of 2011, when U.S. troops are supposed to be out of Iraq.

On a July trip to Iraq, Defense Secretary Robert Gates suggested providing used F-16s as an option to speed up equipping the Iraqi air force with its own air defense capability.

The Air Force aims to retire 134 F-16s and 112 F-15s in 2010, if Congress approves the cuts. The Air Force believes taking jets out of service will save money that can be spent on other aircraft needs, such as buying stealthy F-35 Lightning II fighters.

If the Air Force turns over retired F-16s to Iraq, the service will still have enough backup fighters, Shackelford said. He did not say whether the U.S. would lease the planes or give them to Iraq.

The Air Force is also looking at equipping its Iraqi counterpart with a light cargo airplane and a light attack fighter.
    Iraq may get U.S.’s used F-16s - Military News, News From Iraq & Afghanistan - Military Times

Very interesting. The Iraqi Air Force is beginning to grow again.

What’s also interesting are the numbers for the F-15 & F-16 retirement. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the older versions of these planes are beginning to show their age so makes sense to accelerate their retirement.

Thanks,
    Nebula82.

Makes a lot of sense to me; I've been thinking for years that we need to be selling off our old military hardware if we want to keep buying new stuff (f-22's, F-35's, etc.). The F-16 would be a nice multi-role for Iraq to get back into the air with after having had all of their MiG's blasted out of the sky a few years ago.
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Funny how there are no F-15's offered, either because they are still frontline or because the airframe fatigue on even the newest versions of those jets makes them unsafe for even the fledgeling Iraqi Air Force.
      You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Originally posted by Rumrunner View Post
        Funny how there are no F-15's offered, either because they are still frontline or because the airframe fatigue on even the newest versions of those jets makes them unsafe for even the fledgeling Iraqi Air Force.
        I don't think they're unsafe, but I think it's too much airplane for the Iraqi air force right now; they don't need a more advanced airframe (yet) and all of the associated extra maintenance issues involved with that. The F-16 is a good "starter" ACM fighter for them to start out on, and it will give them beginners experience with more advanced avionics and powerplants (more advanced than the MiG's they're used to, anyway). There are also third-party suppliers available for some of the parts due to the fact that so many other nations are operating the type (however, I'm guessing one of the conditions of the sale/transfer of the F-16's to Iraq included naming the US as the "sole supplier" of parts & technical assistance).
        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Working...
        X