Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ted Kennedy Dead at 77

Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy dead at 77 - CNN.com

There isn't much to say, he led a somewhat unusual life, his personal tribulations sometimes overshadowed his politcal ones.
    Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Its a sad day. The Senate has lost a truely remarkable chap.

RIP
    Naval Warfare Discussion is dying on WAB

Comment

I get the impression that it is party-time at ARRSE :P

Comment

Served his country as he felt best for a long time. Will be missed.

Comment

What an amazing career he had. Championed various causes and devoted his life to them.

Very sad, may he rest in peace.

Nebula82.

Comment

I can't help but recall the words of Australian comedian & author Andrew Denton:

"John F. Kennedy, tragically killed. Bobby Kennedy, tragically killed. Teddy Kennedy, tragically left alive."

A little unfair perhaps, but Teddy did better out of life than most. I'll be curious to see a cleer eyed account of his record as a Senator at some future point.
            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by FluffyThoughts View Post
              I know he has just died, but still, I can't say I disagree with what they are saying, good riddence.
              Nulli Secundus
              People always talk of dying for their country, and never of making the other bastard die for his

Comment

A great man - done his dardest to help out the Irish people when there was absolutely no political credit and a great deal of political ridicule at stake in his doing so.

His own support for a reunited Ireland and personal Irish nationalist convictions were stronger than many of our own much vaunted 'Republicans'.

A controversial man at home, yes, but on this little Island hell always be remembered as a giant and a friend.
                Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
                - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Fluffy,

I read the thread. If they want to take a swipe at Teddy then by all means, but the clown who took a swipe at the whole family needs a slap.

If you post there you might remind him that the eldest Kennedy boy Joseph died on an especially dangerous mission over England in 1944 and his sister Kick worked in a Red Cross centre for servicemen in England during the war. She could have stayed in the safety of the US. Her husband, an Englishman, also died during the war.

Disrespecting the whole family, and particularly the sacrifices of those two siblings, is very low. I'm no fan of Teddy, but he alone answers for his failings.
                  sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Screw them and their petty pissant thoughts.

He was a great man who fought his entire life for the common man. He was from wealth and privilege, yet he chose to work in public service. That is much more than many others have chosen to do.

The people of the Comonwealth of Massachusetts thought well enough about him and his politics to send him to the Senate for 49 years.

Anyone else is welcome to keep their opinions to themselves or talk about it elsewhere.
                    Last edited by Albany Rifles; 26 Aug 09,, 14:57.
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Despite what some may say, he was a dedicated public servant who championed the cause of Civil Rights and Healthcare for those who cant afford it.

Detract all you want but 49 years of work for other people is more than pretty much anyone else on any message board can say they have done.

RIP Ted Kennedy - another rough month for that family.
                      You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Originally posted by crooks View Post
                        A great man - done his dardest to help out the Irish people when there was absolutely no political credit and a great deal of political ridicule at stake in his doing so.

His own support for a reunited Ireland and personal Irish nationalist convictions were stronger than many of our own much vaunted 'Republicans'.

A controversial man at home, yes, but on this little Island hell always be remembered as a giant and a friend.

*Have to agree with Crooks, controversial here at home for a number of reasons and certainly not alot of peoples favorite but atleast he did help Ireland gain some political ground in the ways that he could. If the people back home feel that way about him, who am I to say other. R.I.P.
                        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiny Capstar View Post
                          I know he has just died, but still, I can't say I disagree with what they are saying, good riddence.
                          I'll just second that since you put it much nicer than I would have. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                            I'll just second that since you put it much nicer than I would have. ;)
                            Keeping the crayons away from the vocabulary eh?;)
                            Nulli Secundus
                            People always talk of dying for their country, and never of making the other bastard die for his

Comment

The tributes to him as an US senator are truely impressive.

But I think other than the US and perhaps Ireland, the rest of the world does not know too much about the good works that he did.

Comment

Working...
                              X