Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iowa Class Battleships And Alaska Class Large Cruisers Conversion Projects 1942-1964

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa Class Battleships And Alaska Class Large Cruisers Conversion Projects 1942-1964

Was doing a little searching on google and came upon this book. Was just wondering if anyone has read it or has any experience with it, and if it would be worth dropping $20 or $30 into. Looks like a very interesting read, especially since I have always come up with my own hypothetical conversion schemes. Imagination is a wonderful thing.

edit: I didnt realize it, but apparently the book is only 40 pages long... sounds like it definitely isnt worth it...
    Last edited by eocoolj; 26 Aug 09,, 02:45.

Originally posted by eocoolj View Post
    edit: I didnt realize it, but apparently the book is only 40 pages long... sounds like it definitely isnt worth it...
    Yeah, the reviews have been pretty negative about it's content
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Not to de-rail this thread, but anybody interested in a good, readable, yet highly informative book on the Iowa class should check out "The Iowa Class Battleships: Iowa, New Jersey, Missouri & Wisconsin", by Malcolm Muir; an excellent book on these great ships, with a lot of technical data in the Appendices to boot.
      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

For Cruisers try "In the shadow of the Battleships"

In the Shadow of the Battleship ... - Google Books

A good read although short. There are alot of books out there on the cruisers.
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

I heartily endorse In the Shadow, and my mother will tell you it's the best book ever written on cruisers. (Good ol' Mom!) My intent was to provide a foundation for people with an interest in WWII cruisers. You'll find a trio of essays addressing the confusion that arises around cruiser terminology, statistics, and the "best" label.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiornu View Post
            I heartily endorse In the Shadow, and my mother will tell you it's the best book ever written on cruisers. (Good ol' Mom!) My intent was to provide a foundation for people with an interest in WWII cruisers. You'll find a trio of essays addressing the confusion that arises around cruiser terminology, statistics, and the "best" label.

*Your mom? Is she an avid reader on cruisers or is the topic a favorite of some sort? If it is I like her already.:)

Comment

The topic of me is a favorite of hers. Aren't moms great?

Comment

The topic of me is a favorite of hers. Aren't moms great?
                Yes, that they most certainly are.:)

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                  *Your mom? Is she an avid reader on cruisers or is the topic a favorite of some sort? If it is I like her already.:)
                  I assume mom is happy because her son Richard Worth wrote the book.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                    I assume mom is happy because her son Richard Worth wrote the book.
                    *Sorry Z, cant answer that one as I dont know the identities of Mom nor the poster.

Comment

Yeah, I'm Richard Worth, and my mom is...my mom.

Comment

Well, that clears up that.:)

Comment

I'll put the book on my short list to read.

Comment

Yeah, I'm Richard Worth, and my mom is...my mom.
                            *If you liked the cruisers so much then you would have loved to have walked along Philadelphia Naval Yards basin in its hey day. Several cruisers and classes from WWII up. Some still in their damaged state and not repaired after returning home from war and on their way to scrapping.;)

Comment

I've always liked cruisers. To me, they have more character than battleships.
                              By the way, back to the topic, I have a copy of the Iowa/Alaska book. It is 26 pages long, not counting the publisher's ads at the end. The paintings are the highlight, very bright and colorful. There are also line drawings of some of the projects. If you need a handy listing of conversion proposals, this may be a good choice for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X