Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Princess Anne the rear admiral of the Royal Navy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Princess Anne the rear admiral of the Royal Navy?

pic--
    remain to be confirmed.
    Is she in active service? or just an honorary rank.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tomluter; 22 Aug 09,, 15:18. Reason: wrong grammar

There's certainly more than one rear admiral in the British Navy (not sure what you meant to imply, but "Is Princess Anne a rear admiral in the Royal Navy?" would be the correct way to say it. Use of the definite article - "the" instead of the indefinite article "a" - implies that there is only one rear admiral in the Royal Navy). She's an honorary rear admiral, in addition to being colonel-in-chief (an honorary title) of several British and Commonwealth regiments. Many members of the Royal Family are patrons of various military units.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Yes, what Ironduke said.

Prince Harry does hold the actual rank of Second Lieutenant, though.

Comment

thanks to correct me.
        "Is Princess Anne a rear admiral in the Royal Navy?" That is what I want to say.

So,I have known that is just an honorary rank. but have each royal an honorary military rank? some of them had a Royal Army or Royal airforce rank? honorary rank of course.(except Prince Harry )
        Last edited by Tomluter; 22 Aug 09,, 15:27.

Comment

Yeah, I think so. I think Her Majesty is Colonel of a few regiments.

Comment

well, for Earned Rank, Prince Charles earned Lieutenant since he was CO of the HMS Bronington, his last day in the Active Navy was 31 Dec 1976, and on 1 Jan 1977 was promoted to the rank of Commander.. I'd guess that Lieutenant was his highest "earned" rank.. with the rest being "honorary promotions"..

Comment

Prince Charles held an actual Rank in the Royual Navy as did Prince Andrew, he fought in the Falklands War, Harry is still a serving Officer in the Household Cavalry, Prince William held the Rank of 2Lt in the same Regt, he is now serving in the Royal Air Force, Phil the Greek was a serving Naval Officer during WW2.

The Queen is Commander-in-Cheif of the Armed Forces, to whom we 'Swear Alligience', and take the 'Queens Shilling' (Legal Term - Armed Forces of the Crown).

The Colonel-in-Chief is normally a Royal patron, and it is up to the Regiment who they decide to invite:

Royal Australian Armoured Corps - HRH The Prince of Wales
              Royal Australian Infantry Corps - HM The Queen
              Royal Regiment of Australian Artillery - HM The Queen (Captain General)
              Corps of Royal Australian Engineers - HM The Queen
              Royal Australian Corps of Signals - HRH The Princess Royal
              Royal Australian Army Medical Corps - HE The Governor-General of Australia
              Royal Australian Army Ordnance Corps - HM The Queen
              Royal Australian Army Nursing Corps - HM The Queen
              Corps of Royal Australian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers - HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
              Royal Australian Army Educational Corps - HRH The Duchess of Gloucester
              The Bermuda Regiment - HRH The Duchess of Gloucester

Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) - HRH The Prince of Wales
              8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's) - HRH The Princess Royal
              The King's Own Calgary Regiment (RCAC) - HM The Queen
              The Governor General's Horse Guards - HM The Queen
              The Queen's York Rangers (1st American Regiment) (RCAC) - HRH The Duke of York
              The Saskatchewan Dragoons - HRH The Earl of Wessex
              The Royal Canadian Regiment - HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
              Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry - The Rt Hon Adrienne Clarkson
              Royal 22e Régiment - HM The Queen
              48th Highlanders of Canada - HM The Queen
              The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada (Princess Louise's) - HM The Queen
              The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada - HRH The Prince of Wales
              The Calgary Highlanders - HM The Queen
              The Canadian Grenadier Guards - HM The Queen
              The Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa - HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
              The Essex and Kent Scottish - HRH Prince Michael of Kent
              The Grey and Simcoe Foresters - HRH The Princess Royal
              Governor General's Foot Guards - HM The Queen
              The Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment - HRH The Earl of Wessex
              The Lincoln and Welland Regiment - HRH The Countess of Wessex
              The Lorne Scots (Peel, Dufferin and Halton Regiment) - HRH The Duke of Kent
              The Princess Louise Fusiliers - HRH The Duke of York
              The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada - HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
              The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada - HRH Princess Alexandra, The Honourable Lady Ogilvy
              Le Régiment de la Chaudière - HM The Queen
              The Rocky Mountain Rangers - HM The Queen
              The Royal Hamilton Light Infantry (Wentworth Regiment) - HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
              The Royal Highland Fusiliers of Canada - HRH The Duke of York
              The Royal New Brunswick Regiment - HM The Queen
              The Royal Newfoundland Regiment - HRH The Princess Royal
              The Royal Regiment of Canada - HRH The Prince of Wales
              The Royal Regina Rifles - HRH The Princess Royal
              The Royal Westminster Regiment - His Grace The Duke of Westminster
              The Royal Winnipeg Rifles - HRH The Prince of Wales
              The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada - HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
              The Toronto Scottish Regiment (Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother's Own) - HRH The Prince of Wales

United Kingdom (You will note that King Abdullah of Jordan is one, he served in the British Army as did the Sultan of Oman).

Cavalry
              1st The Queen's Dragoon Guards - HRH The Prince of Wales
              9th/12th Royal Lancers (Prince of Wales's) - HRH The Duke of York
              The Blues and Royals (Royal Horse Guards and 1st Dragoons) - HM The Queen
              The King's Royal Hussars - HRH The Princess Royal
              The Life Guards - HM The Queen
              The Light Dragoons - HM King Abdullah II of Jordan
              The Queen's Royal Hussars (Queen's Own and Royal Irish) - HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
              The Queen's Royal Lancers - HM The Queen
              The Royal Dragoon Guards - HRH The Prince of Wales
              The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers and Greys) - HM The Queen
              The Royal Tank Regiment - HM The Queen

Infantry
              Coldstream Guards - HM The Queen
              The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment (King's, Lancashire and Border) - HM The Queen
              Grenadier Guards - HM The Queen
              Irish Guards - HM The Queen
              The Mercian Regiment - HRH The Prince of Wales
              The Parachute Regiment - HRH The Prince of Wales
              The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment (Queen's and Royal Hampshires) - HM Queen Margrethe II of Denmark
              The Rifles - HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
              The Royal Anglian Regiment - HRH The Duke of Gloucester
              The Royal Gibraltar Regiment - HE The Governor of Gibraltar
              The Royal Gurkha Rifles - HRH The Prince of Wales
              The Royal Irish Regiment (27th (Inniskilling) 83rd and 87th and The Ulster Defence Regiment) - HRH The Duke of York
              The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers - HRH The Duke of Kent
              The Royal Regiment of Scotland - HM The Queen
              The Royal Welsh - HM The Queen
              Scots Guards - HM The Queen
              Welsh Guards - HM The Queen
              The Yorkshire Regiment (14th/15th, 19th and 33rd/76th Foot) - HRH The Duke of York

Combat Support
              Army Air Corps - HRH The Prince of Wales
              Corps of Royal Engineers - HM The Queen
              Intelligence Corps - HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
              Royal Corps of Signals - HRH The Princess Royal
              Royal Regiment of Artillery - HM The Queen (Captain-General)

Combat Service Support
              Adjutant General's Corps - HM The Queen
              Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers - HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
              Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps - HRH The Countess of Wessex
              Royal Army Dental Corps - HRH The Duchess of Gloucester
              Royal Army Medical Corps - HRH The Duke of Gloucester
              Royal Army Veterinary Corps - HRH The Princess Royal
              Royal Logistic Corps - HRH The Princess Royal
              Small Arms School Corps - HRH The Duke of York

Comment

I understand the honorary stuff and all, but is still feel one must earn the uniform. See that would be the first step. I did it, and it was a honor.
                "Peace through Power" Late Ronald Reagan

Comment

It is an honour to have Her Majesty the Queen as your Colonel-in-Chief, especially when you meet her and she shakes your hand and has a little chat with one.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
                    It is an honour to have Her Majesty the Queen as your Colonel-in-Chief, especially when you meet her and she shakes your hand and has a little chat with one.
                    Aye true that. Add to that, unlike many of the pollies that send the troops to war, the crown has actually had some involvement in the Military. A big step up from your average "Support our Troops" pollie.
                    Ego Numquam

Comment

The Queen served as a 'Driver/Mechanic' in the Military during the war, Phil the Greek fought in the Navy. Prince Andrew in the Falklands, Prince Harry in Afghanistan, more than can be said for our Politicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
                        The Queen served as a 'Driver/Mechanic' in the Military during the war, Phil the Greek fought in the Navy. Prince Andrew in the Falklands, Prince Harry in Afghanistan, more than can be said for our Politicians.
                        Don't get me wrong it is a honor to have them serve along side of the common people. I am in no way taking away from any of them. Hell alot of ex. presidents have served also. And I give them alot of credit when they are in the fight. As a ex service man, I was just stated that I had to earn each and every stripe. Not saying she did not, You just have a better understanding of how hard it is. Either in combat or peacetime. I rember a few year back the media made a big deal of Bush landing on a carrier in a naval aircraft in a flight suite. When he served in the navy. I am sorry if my word were taken the wrong way. It was not my intention to offend anyone.
                        "Peace through Power" Late Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Master Chief View Post
                          Don't get me wrong it is a honor to have them serve along side of the common people. I am in no way taking away from any of them. Hell alot of ex. presidents have served also. And I give them alot of credit when they are in the fight. As a ex service man, I was just stated that I had to earn each and every stripe. Not saying she did not, You just have a better understanding of how hard it is. Either in combat or peacetime. I rember a few year back the media made a big deal of Bush landing on a carrier in a naval aircraft in a flight suite. When he served in the navy. I am sorry if my word were taken the wrong way. It was not my intention to offend anyone.
                          *Anyone familiar with the title "Chief" is also familiar with the fact that you had to be voted in by a group of the very same. Backbone of the USN and the "Almighty" when aboard. There is no doubt you earned each and every one of them.;):)) And those twinkling little stars above that anchor.
                          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Master Chief, no offence taken.

Comment

Working...
                            X