"Scots Sniper Kills Taliban Leader With Longest Shot"- Daily Express

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Scots Sniper Kills Taliban Leader With Longest Shot"- Daily Express

A SCOTTISH soldier has been praised for making the longest recorded kill in Afghanistan after shooting a top Taliban fighter from almost a mile away.
    The 25-year-old, of 3 Scots, The Black Watch, kept watch on a shop rooftop for three days to eliminate the target.

But he admitted the top-level Taliban fighter – known as Musa – was so far away it took him a couple of attempts to get the aim right.
    I don't understand why the media would publicize the soldier's name, considering the sensitive nature of his duty, but bravo to his skill and accomplishment!

Daily Express | UK News :: Scots sniper kills Taliban leader with longest shot
    Last edited by Equilibrium; 11 Aug 09,, 18:41.

Yes, I agree, highly unusual to post the soldier's name; I assume they will be rotating him out of the theatre after this.

Anybody have any idea what weapon he may have been using? Considering the distance, I'm guessing it was something in 50-cal, either a Barrett M82 or a McMillan TAC-50.
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

I don't see why

I don't see why they would pull him from Afghanistan because his name has been linked. In Afghanistan specifically, I don't see why the Taliban would be any more inclined to kill him just because they know his name, the Taliban wants to kill coalition forces any time it can get away with it!

Unless the Brits pull him out for publicity reasons, which from what I know about the UK doesn't seem to be the case.

Also, the only issue with a .50 caliber weapon, from what the Scouts I deployed with downrange told me, is that the inaccuracy of the round out of a barrett is giagantic, like a multi-minute difference.
      Michael C

On Violence Twitter

Comment

Wow, great job to the young lad!

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
          Yes, I agree, highly unusual to post the soldier's name; I assume they will be rotating him out of the theatre after this.

Anybody have any idea what weapon he may have been using? Considering the distance, I'm guessing it was something in 50-cal, either a Barrett M82 or a McMillan TAC-50.
          50BMG is actually not the best sniper round against a person. I would guess that he used a 338 Lapua fired from an AI rifle.
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael C View Post
            Also, the only issue with a .50 caliber weapon, from what the Scouts I deployed with downrange told me, is that the inaccuracy of the round out of a barrett is giagantic, like a multi-minute difference.
            I had heard that, also; the McMillan is supposed to be more accurate, which is why the Canadians (and others) use it.
            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

You can add the Barrett .50 as well to that list. Almost no recoil and I believe an 8 round mag instead of single bolt.
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                50BMG is actually not the best sniper round against a person. I would guess that he used a 338 Lapua fired from an AI rifle.
                I learn something new every day . . . . . . .

Yes, according to my (limited) research, the .338 Lapua, in combination with the AI AW SM "Super Magnum" sniper rifle, is the preferred choice of snipers around the world, even in the US. The .338 Lapua round typically has an MV of around 3,000 fps (910 m/s), making it supersonic for most of it's flight.

Comment

Michael,

I don't see why they would pull him from Afghanistan because his name has been linked. In Afghanistan specifically, I don't see why the Taliban would be any more inclined to kill him just because they know his name, the Taliban wants to kill coalition forces any time it can get away with it!
                  because the taliban will see a propaganda victory in targeting him and then hunting him down.
                  There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                    Michael,

because the taliban will see a propaganda victory in targeting him and then hunting him down.
                    They're The Black Watch, I think they would actually relish the Taliban giving that a try. I doubt they will though.
                    Nulli Secundus
                    People always talk of dying for their country, and never of making the other bastard die for his

Comment

It was the L115A3 - 8.59mm

L115A3 Long Range Rifle - British Army Website

Comment

I like this one too.

Another Scot in the same unit eliminated a sniper by using a precision missile launcher which costs £70,000 to fire.

Sergeant Daniel Buist, of Arbroath, Angus, hit the insurgent hiding in a two-feet wide “murder hole” dug out of a wall.

The 34-year-old fired his Javelin launcher – only used in the “most desperate of situations” – to take out the sniper after seeing him shoot patrols.

Incredibly, his aim was so accurate he hit the enemy fighter without damaging the compound wall.

Sgt Buist said: “If something that large hits you, it is going to do some damage because it is designed to attack tanks.

“It was later confirmed that I had actually hit someone, as there were fresh blood trails.

“The remains had been dragged away by other Taliban. It can be gruesome, but I had to stop that guy from taking out my men.”

Comment

Iraq hero avoids prison term for savage assault on wife.
                          Europe Intelligence Wire
                          | March 25, 2004

(From Aberdeen Press & Journal (UK))

An Iraq war hero from the Black Watch savagely assaulted his wife after she flirted with other men while he was home on leave.

Daniel Buist, 28, escaped jail yesterday despite the brutal attack after Sheriff Isobel Poole heard that a prison sentence would end his Army career.

Instead she ordered the soldier, whose mother lives in Arbroath, to carry out 300 hours of community service in his spare time from drill as a lance corporal.

Edinburgh Sheriff Court had heard that the soldier attacked his 28-year-old wife Ashley in a jealous rage - repeatedly punching her in the face, kicking her body and grabbing her by the throat.

She was left with 26 injuries, including extensive bruising across her face, black eyes, swelling and redness to her throat.

Buist, described as a war hero after saving the lives of fellow soldiers as well as an enemy fighter during an attack in Basra, had been on a month's leave last July.

The couple, who lived with their five-year-old son in the Edinburgh home of his wife's parents, had gone out for the evening. In the capital's Subway nightclub, Ashley, who had previously admitted having an affair while her husband was abroad, began to dance with a group of younger men.

Defence counsel Gavin Anderson said that she let the young men grope her and outraged Buist stepped in pushing one rival to the floor.

He stormed out of the club and walked back to their Richmond Terrace address.

His wife, who had taken a cab, arrived first and when he returned there was a bitter argument.

Buist viciously attacked his partner and pushed her parents away when they tried to stop him. He eventually left and went to his own mother's Arbroath home.

The following day he was arrested and charged with attempted murder but that was later reduced to assault to the danger of life.

His wife was so upset by the trauma that she has since been prescribed medication for depression and anxiety. The three-year marriage is now over.

Buist originally joined the Army in 1992 but left after four years to become a prison officer and that is when the couple got together. However, Mr Anderson said that he missed "the excitement and travel of Army life" and enlisted as a lance corporal in the Perth-based Black Watch in 2000. For three years he served in Iraq before his arrest and has since been stationed in the UK. The lawyer stressed that the attack had been out of character for Buist.

The soldier pleaded guilty to assaulting his wife, while charges of assaulting his parents-in-law were dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
                            I like this one too.

Another Scot in the same unit eliminated a sniper by using a precision missile launcher which costs £70,000 to fire.

Sergeant Daniel Buist, of Arbroath, Angus, hit the insurgent hiding in a two-feet wide “murder hole” dug out of a wall.

The 34-year-old fired his Javelin launcher – only used in the “most desperate of situations” – to take out the sniper after seeing him shoot patrols.

Incredibly, his aim was so accurate he hit the enemy fighter without damaging the compound wall.

Sgt Buist said: “If something that large hits you, it is going to do some damage because it is designed to attack tanks.

“It was later confirmed that I had actually hit someone, as there were fresh blood trails.

“The remains had been dragged away by other Taliban. It can be gruesome, but I had to stop that guy from taking out my men.”

Wow , i wish i had seen that woo hoooooo , kaaa boom ,off ya pop laddie .:))

Comment

Originally posted by Michael C View Post

Unless the Brits pull him out for publicity reasons, which from what I know about the UK doesn't seem to be the case.

Once again the f#####g media arseholes printing his name , they should be shot as well , probably the same ones who grassed a certain member of the Royal family up and he had to be removed from theatre , fkin wankers ,

But well done for the shot ,, a free dram is on the cards :)

Comment

Working...
                              X