Police swoop on Melbourne homes after Somali Islamists' terror plot exposed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
    Its not about bollocks, its about due process & rule of law - two of the key things that make us better than them. Its not about bollocks, its about brains - the reason we will prevail. Shoot these guys today & I guarantee you that by last prayers tommorrow you will not only recruit more terrorists than a decade of AQ propaganda, but you will dry up most of our domestic informants.

I imagine Dr Haneef is plesed that we lacked 'bollocks' when the Feds as good as convicted him. Likewise Mamdouh Habib, who got a bit of torture thrown into his free flight from Pakistan to Gitmo (via Egypt). Sometimes the authorities get it wrong.

The whole 'swift justice' thing has a high feelgood factor, but it is self defeating. Our slow, boring legal system is one of the most important features of our free & democratic society. What was it ben Franklin said: "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    If it makes the news. Im quite willing to accept our Federal services cleaning the mess up behind closed doors. What people know generally doesnt hurt them and you can bury a lot of people out H-range ;)

You seem to forget that due process of law is only the most recent idea for dealing with insurgents. The English colonial system worked... The German system in WW2 worked even better... The Roman system better still...

Im not saying lets go randomly shoot people but im happy if a secret panel of independant judges overseen by a government comittee makes the decisions, hands out the warrants and lets ASIO knock on the correct doors at 3am. Permenantly Embargo all media coverage of these 'disappearances' but make sure news slips out here and there... in dribs and drabs, enough to let any possible new recruits know that its not the best line of work to get into.
    Last edited by chakos; 05 Aug 09,, 13:37.
    The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

Originally posted by chakos View Post
      If it makes the news. Im quite willing to accept our Federal services cleaning the mess up behind closed doors. What people know generally doesnt hurt them and you can bury a lot of people out H-range ;)

You seem to forget that due process of law is only the most recent idea for dealing with insurgents. The English colonial system worked... The German system in WW2 worked even better... The Roman system better still...

Im not saying lets go randomly shoot people but im happy if a secret panel of independant judges overseen by a government comittee makes the decisions, hands out the warrants and lets ASIO knock on the correct doors at 3am. Permenantly Embargo all media coverage of these 'disappearances' but make sure news slips out here and there... in dribs and drabs, enough to let any possible new recruits know that its not the best line of work to get into.
      I really don't feel like getting into a big shouting match on this. if you really have no problem with the government secretly trying & executing people then I'd be wasting my time.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Working...
      X