The New Jersey in Vietnam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
    I'm sure that no matter what happens to you, we'll always have your bowling shoes to remember you by ;)

My red socks are even older........

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
      My red socks are even older........
      I wasn't going to mention the socks, figured the shoes were plenty enough :))
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
        I wasn't going to mention the socks, figured the shoes were plenty enough :))
        Actually my red socks are so old, I bought them around the time the New Jersey was in Vietnam (Fits in with the thread now)

Comment

My book came Wednesday! Really interesting reading. I'm jumping around from chapter to chapter. I know its the way the world has been going, but too bad that such history has to disappear. The last chapter, seeing everything... well, I guess we cannot save everything. Progress.

I did not look yet. Is there a thread for questions that come from reading the book?

Thanks TopHatter for fixing my account!

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
            I can't promise an answer to EVERY ONE of your questions. Particularly since they were asked AFTER the book was published. But several chapters are devoted to the Battleships and could provide you more answers.

Or tempt you to ask more questions.
            With the more questions coming up, I see a possible revision coming up. :)

Something with another couple chapters, three dozen pages and a few more
            pictures? :))

Maybe something that will come out about the time the Third grandbaby
            shows up?

Comment

With the more questions coming up, I see a possible revision coming up. :)

Something with another couple chapters, three dozen pages and a few more
              pictures? :))

Maybe something that will come out about the time the Third grandbaby
              shows up?
              That all depends upon what's been happening lately at the shipyard.

Oh, that's right. There is no shipyard anymore.

Hmmmm. What to do. What to do.
              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

That all depends upon what's been happening lately at the shipyard.

Oh, that's right. There is no shipyard anymore.

Hmmmm. What to do. What to do.
                So you are perfectly happy with the book and all the information in it?

There's nothing you want to expand on or add?

Hmmmmm....... :))

Oh gee, did I ever mention I had a series of pictures of the Russian freighter Taurus being docked in drydock 2 in March 1957?
                Last edited by Ytlas; 30 Oct 09,, 21:59.

Comment

Hmm. Perhaps a section on famous people that have been aboard all of the ships. Presidents, PM's, Glamour girls, Musicians, Comedians, USO etc?;)
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                    Hmm. Perhaps a section on famous people that have been aboard all of the ships. Presidents, PM's, Glamour girls, Musicians, Comedians, USO etc?;)
                    Reminds me, I saw a list once of the ships that passed through the facility and were sunk in WWII.

Comment

Reminds me, I saw a list once of the ships that passed through the facility and were sunk in WWII.
                      They are in Appendix B.

As for celebrities, I primarily concentrate at what went on at the shipyard or base itself and do list some movies and TV shows that shot scenes there, including Lethal Weapon IV (that was our Design/Administration building they drove it through). I have a couple of photos of the tire tracks in plan files, but left them out (I did send a set to Linda however).

For now, I think 33 chapters is long enough (chapter 33 is divided up into three sub-chapters) as well as its 8 appendices.

Of course I have more stories and a lot more pictures. I also wanted the book big enough to properly show the maps of the Naval Complex in larger and more readible detail.

But the size I wanted to put it in through CreateSpace didn't allow enough pages. The size that did (7X10) gets you limited to wider and wider margins the more pages you add. So 534 pages were about it otherwise it would have looked like a newspaper column with no room for pictures.

Comment

They are in Appendix B.
                        Oh, my Bad. Haven't managed to latch onto a copy yet.

Comment

A few comments about the book, and maybe there are reasons for these.
                          -In the Table of Contents, page numbers would be helpful, instead of hunting around for the chapter numbers. Sorry, that's being just plain lazy on my part.
                          -Some\most of the ship diagrams from the blueprints are too small for my eyes to read. I could use a magnifying glass, but if they maybe used up a whole page and were printed landscape, they would be much better to see.
                          -Cost could maybe be prohibited, but if it were printed on glossier paper? Maybe that would improve the quality of the photos. Then again, the cost of the book may be more. Some of those books from the USNI are quite expensive.

Otherwise, extremely happy with what I have read so far!!
                          Just read the part of reactivating all 4 battleships instead of just the Jersey. This is great reading!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_NJ View Post
                            A few comments about the book, and maybe there are reasons for these.
                            -In the Table of Contents, page numbers would be helpful, instead of hunting around for the chapter numbers. Sorry, that's being just plain lazy on my part.
                            -Some\most of the ship diagrams from the blueprints are too small for my eyes to read. I could use a magnifying glass, but if they maybe used up a whole page and were printed landscape, they would be much better to see.
                            -Cost could maybe be prohibited, but if it were printed on glossier paper? Maybe that would improve the quality of the photos. Then again, the cost of the book may be more. Some of those books from the USNI are quite expensive.

Otherwise, extremely happy with what I have read so far!!
                            Just read the part of reactivating all 4 battleships instead of just the Jersey. This is great reading!!!
                            Thank you very much (would help if you could file a customer's rating on it as well).

But as I said earlier, the size I was restricted to was not to my satisfaction either. Createspace requirements for 534 pages was a 7/8" margin on each side. Well, that only leaves 5 1/4" for everything else.

Then, trying to transfer from MS Word and MS Excel into PDF was almost impossible to meet their requirements. Even Ytlas tried. Another friend up in Kenniwick, Washington tried. Another friend here in the Los Angeles area tried.

Then I had a computer crash and called out a tech to straighten things out. He added in a couple of programs for me so I could transfer to PDF.

B.S. Pages varied in size and once transferred all I could do was try to resize the pages and margins. Couldn't edit anything else.

CreateSpace then took over and got everything to fit for me. But that also led to some typos I didn't catch in the PROOF copy. For example, in the last page of Appendix A, the hull number of the Decatur was supposed to be 31 and it shows 31 on all the versions I have on my computer. But the corrections somehow dropped the "1" off the end.

You have my express permission to take an ink pen and add a "1" to that.

Also, in Chapter 1 the date in the photo of the Nevada in dry dock should be 1943, not 1942. The date is correct in Appendices A and B but this was my boo boo trying to get everything to fit and put in pictures many people have never seen before (and many thanks to Ytlas for those).

Comment

Also, in Chapter 1 the date in the photo of the Nevada in dry dock should be 1943, not 1942. The date is correct in Appendices A and B but this was my boo boo trying to get everything to fit and put in pictures many people have never seen before (and many thanks to Ytlas for those).
                              I was just looking at Appendices B on the online copy at Amazon and noticed there's no mention of a pierside availability of an Iowa-class BB for December 1952, when I have a picture of the USS Iowa on the East side of Pier 1.
                              The negative sleeve has the date clearly marked. :)
                              (Actually there were 3 pictures taken that day from different angles).

Comment

Just ordered the book! Can't wait to read it.

Comment

Working...
                                X