X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BBwarrior View Post
    Thanks for the info! I will check out WAB's book recommendations
    BB,

These are the ones I have read, but there a one or two others too. These ones are both novels & aren't the best written accounts in history (a bit clunky, hard to know if it is an original problem or the translation across cultures), but both are short reads.

'The Sorrow of War' by Bao Ninh - originally banned in Vietnam.

World Affairs Board Library and Bookstore - The Sorrow of War

'Novel Without a Name' by Duong Thu Huong - the author has been jailed for her opposition to the regime in Hanoi & her books are not published in Vietnam. I gave this to a Vietnamese friend who was studying in Australia. She loved it.

World Affairs Board Library and Bookstore - Novel without a Name
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
      BB,

These are the ones I have read, but there a one or two others too. These ones are both novels & aren't the best written accounts in history (a bit clunky, hard to know if it is an original problem or the translation across cultures), but both are short reads.

'The Sorrow of War' by Bao Ninh - originally banned in Vietnam.

World Affairs Board Library and Bookstore - The Sorrow of War

'Novel Without a Name' by Duong Thu Huong - the author has been jailed for her opposition to the regime in Hanoi & her books are not published in Vietnam. I gave this to a Vietnamese friend who was studying in Australia. She loved it.

World Affairs Board Library and Bookstore - Novel without a Name
      Thank you for the recommendations. I've always wondered how N Viet. was able to justify and rationalize the great sacrifices made by their soldiers during the war. I guess their authoritarian regime just said 'Too bad - fight or we kill you'. That's a simple concept to understand.

Comment

Back to the Big J...

Didn't mean to hijack this thread everyone... Some quick questions (more details!) about the USS New Jersey during her Vietnam deployment. Since she was about 25 years old at the time of her recommissioning, I would like to know in what 'shape' she was in. Were their any maintenance issues (boilers, electrical, ect) that effected her performance during her combat tour? How did her 'shake down' cruise go? As I understand it, her entire main battery was operational, but what about all the 5in 38's?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, BB

(I got to get Rusty's new book)

Comment

Thank you for the recommendations. I've always wondered how N Viet. was able to justify and rationalize the great sacrifices made by their soldiers during the war. I guess their authoritarian regime just said 'Too bad - fight or we kill you'. That's a simple concept to understand.

Not quite that simple. There was certainly coercion, but nit necessarily as naked as this. There was a genuine belief in the war & a genuine committment to the nation - no different to anywhere else. The presence of a half million Americans (and others) put this war into the historical context of struggles against foregin invasion. The DRV & PAVN were also very good at motivating their soldiers at the lower levels - unit loyalty etc. Didn't mean everyone was always happy to fight. Desertion was common too.

Complex issues. Read the books, you'll see what I mean.
          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Didn't mean to hijack this thread everyone...
            Don't worry about that. The gentleman who started this rather dysfunctional thread was shown the door a few days ago anyway.

Some quick questions (more details!) about the USS New Jersey during her Vietnam deployment. Since she was about 25 years old at the time of her recommissioning, I would like to know in what 'shape' she was in.
            You really ought to find Malcom Muir's "Iowa Class Battleships" on Alibris or something similiar, it's definitely worth the price. All of the info I've got here came from Mr. Muir's book.

New Jersey was specifically chosen for her excellent condition, especially her recent regunning and the extra-meticulous decommissioning process given to her.

In turn, her 1969 upgrade would factor heavily into New Jersey being chosen as the first of the class to be recommissioned in the 1980's....far less work to bring her from 1969 to 1982 than the other three, which had been put away in the 1950's.

There were several minor and a few major items that needed attention.

For example, all 4 sets of reduction gears wound up having to be retimed, "an expensive and lengthy process".

Another problem involved the forward turrets:

"...at some unknown time, the port 16-inch gun of Turret One had locked with Turret Two. This had sprung the outboard deck lug and cracked the trunnion bearing of the [aforementioned] port 16-inch gun.

The deck lug was straighted out by applying heat from induction coils and jacking with hydraulic jacks. This process took almost two weeks.

When the shipyard went to order a replacement trunnion bearing, it was found that none were available in the Naval Supply System. A bearing was finally borrowed from the U.S. Army at the Aberdeen Prooving Grounds."
            In addition, several parts had to be cannibalized from Iowa and Wisconsin to expedite New Jersey's refit and then re-manufactured at leisure for the other two ships.

Were their any maintenance issues (boilers, electrical, ect) that effected her performance during her combat tour?
            Nothing of note that I've ever read about.

How did her 'shake down' cruise go?
            Apparently quite well.

At one point they really wrung her out and went balls to the wall: The pitometer log indicated 35.2 knots at 207 rpm. After 6 hours at full power, Captain Snyder threw her into emergency power astern.

She came back to Philly flying a broom from her halyard. :)

As I understand it, her entire main battery was operational, but what about all the 5in 38's?
            All main and secondary guns were made operational.

The proposals to reactivate her initially varied wildly. A few mentioned were:

1. Main guns only activated. No main engines. Tow her to Vietnam as an artillery hulk

2. Main guns only activated. 2 main engines, 2 fire rooms, 2 shafts activated.

3. Finally, the Philly Naval Yard promised they could make her fully operational, all 16- and 5-inch guns included, within 9 months time, for $24 million. As it turned out, they delivered New Jersey, as promised, on time and at only $21.5 million
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
              Don't worry about that. The gentleman who started this rather dysfunctional thread was shown the door a few days ago anyway.
              I see - perhaps he didn't show enough respect. Good to know this board has strong mods.
              Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
              You really ought to find Malcom Muir's "Iowa Class Battleships" on Alibris or something similiar, it's definitely worth the price. All of the info I've got here came from Mr. Muir's book.

New Jersey was specifically chosen for her excellent condition, especially her recent regunning and the extra-meticulous decommissioning process given to her.

In turn, her 1969 upgrade would factor heavily into New Jersey being chosen as the first of the class to be recommissioned in the 1980's....far less work to bring her from 1969 to 1982 than the other three, which had been put away in the 1950's.

There were several minor and a few major items that needed attention.

For example, all 4 sets of reduction gears wound up having to be retimed, "an expensive and lengthy process".

Another problem involved the forward turrets:

In addition, several parts had to be cannibalized from Iowa and Wisconsin to expedite New Jersey's refit and then re-manufactured at leisure for the other two ships.

Nothing of note that I've ever read about.

Apparently quite well.

At one point they really wrung her out and went balls to the wall: The pitometer log indicated 35.2 knots at 207 rpm. After 6 hours at full power, Captain Snyder threw her into emergency power astern.

She came back to Philly flying a broom from her halyard. :)

All main and secondary guns were made operational.

The proposals to reactivate her initially varied wildly. A few mentioned were:

1. Main guns only activated. No main engines. Tow her to Vietnam as an artillery hulk

2. Main guns only activated. 2 main engines, 2 fire rooms, 2 shafts activated.

3. Finally, the Philly Naval Yard promised they could make her fully operational, all 16- and 5-inch guns included, within 9 months time, for $24 million. As it turned out, they delivered New Jersey, as promised, on time and at only $21.5 million
              Wow - I didn't know of the different options regarding her reactivation. Towing her, without any operational engines, would probably save $ but what a dishonor to suffer. Glad the Big J was reactivated fully and made it to Vietnam under her own power.

Thanks for all the info TopHatter :)

Comment

Thanks for all the info TopHatter :)
                No problem, though as I said, thank Mr. Muir :)

Paul Stillwell's Battleship New Jersey has been mentioned a few times...between that one and his Battleship Missouri and Battleship Arizona, you'll be in hog heaven :))
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

*Another key factor as to why she was reactivated was due to the fact she had been re-gunned prior to being decommisioned/mothballed in 1957. This eliminated alot of extra crane work and valuable time.;)
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Literally a legend in the battleship community no doubt and the very last time a USN battleship would leave the Philadelphia Naval Yard/Delaware River under her own power and without tugs for guidance. What a traffic stopper she was!;)[/QUOTE]

Interesting that an Iowa class Battleship would head out on the Deleware River without tugs.

Must of been some expert seaman ship ;)

I remember the Missouri ran aground on the Chesapeak during Truman's term.:(

I think that end the rise of that Captain's career, Ouch ! :(
                    " Lite all burners, make all steam! "

Comment

Ummmm, not to brag (okay, I'm bragging) if you look at the header at the top of this page and order that book -- chapter 25 should answer some of your questions.
                      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by connaye View Post
                        Literally a legend in the battleship community no doubt and the very last time a USN battleship would leave the Philadelphia Naval Yard/Delaware River under her own power and without tugs for guidance. What a traffic stopper she was!;)
                        Interesting that an Iowa class Battleship would head out on the Deleware River without tugs.

Must of been some expert seaman ship ;)

I remember the Missouri ran aground on the Chesapeak during Truman's term.:(

I think that end the rise of that Captain's career, Ouch ! :([/QUOTE]

*Its little known Missouri grounded twice I believe. Iowa once. New Jersey and Wisconsin never. Well, if you count New Jerseys launching where she touched the bank across river I guess you could say mildly with no damage at all.
                        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

I'll buy the book

Okay I get the impression the answers are in the book.... so I will place the order.;)
                          " Lite all burners, make all steam! "

Comment

Originally posted by connaye View Post
                            Okay I get the impression the answers are in the book.... so I will place the order.;)
                            I can't promise an answer to EVERY ONE of your questions. Particularly since they were asked AFTER the book was published. But several chapters are devoted to the Battleships and could provide you more answers.

Or tempt you to ask more questions.

I really like WAB as most of its members are delving for historical or technical truth. We should get together and form a college with us as on-line professors.

And the first person who asks how many songs Elvis Presely sang would be instantly expelled and his hard drive vaporized.
                            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Any plans for "The Book" to come out on video?

Planning on any trips to the local post office? I understand Media Rate is decent.... I don't know how many years I have left. :))

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
                                I don't know how many years I have left. :))
                                I'm sure that no matter what happens to you, we'll always have your bowling shoes to remember you by ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X