This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stitch View Post
    My computer programming memories go back to the '80's with BASIC and FORTRAN, and all of those lovely punch cards that you would spend hours programming just to run a 30-second program. BASIC was kind of fun, if you knew what to do with it. My devious friend and I would write an endless-loop program, send it to a dot-matrix printer on the other side of campus, then leave the building; it usually took somebody in the other building 15 or 20 minutes to figure out what was going on, and shut the printer down. By then, we would've wasted half a box of continuous-feed paper, and a whole lotta ink.
    My "computer" skills go farther back than that, to the 1950's. Our "so-called" computers were actually Marchant electro-mechanical calculators with a jillion numbered wheels spinning and clacking around and around. Some were replaced later with Friedan calculators.

The very first "computer" we got in the office was an Oliveti that was wheeled around from engineer to engineer on a serving cart. We had to program a magnetic strip to do the calcualations we needed. It did prove useful as we programmed it to calculate the crush depth of the Krupp and Terni spheres of Cousteaus Bathyscaphe "Trieste". But for the practice of learning how to program the strips, we set them up to calculate loan payments where the interest percentage was based upon the UNpaid balance. It came in handy when I received a bill for the LAST payment on some property I bought in Lake Havasu, Arizona. I sent them a Xerox copy of the computer print-out and got an immediate reply and apology. I made the payment, got the deed and even a chunk of granite from the London Bridge.

For home computers; I'd rather not talk about them. The more and more that spoiled brat up in the PNW "improves" his "Operating" systems, the more I want to use them for target practice.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• The madness ...

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
      My "computer" skills go farther back than that, to the 1950's. Our "so-called" computers were actually Marchant electro-mechanical calculators with a jillion numbered wheels spinning and clacking around and around. Some were replaced later with Friedan calculators.

The very first "computer" we got in the office was an Oliveti that was wheeled around from engineer to engineer on a serving cart. We had to program a magnetic strip to do the calcualations we needed. It did prove useful as we programmed it to calculate the crush depth of the Krupp and Terni spheres of Cousteaus Bathyscaphe "Trieste". But for the practice of learning how to program the strips, we set them up to calculate loan payments where the interest percentage was based upon the UNpaid balance. It came in handy when I received a bill for the LAST payment on some property I bought in Lake Havasu, Arizona. I sent them a Xerox copy of the computer print-out and got an immediate reply and apology. I made the payment, got the deed and even a chunk of granite from the London Bridge.

For home computers; I'd rather not talk about them. The more and more that spoiled brat up in the PNW "improves" his "Operating" systems, the more I want to use them for target practice.
      My title is not to be confused with the annual event occurring in March involving a round ball aimed at a steel loop 10-ft above a wooden base plane.

My angst of computers / software is the obsolescence geared toward progress.
      Specifically, well aged programs which hundreds of hours from a human have absorbed to create models for what was at the time complex questions.
      As the time advances, the newer hardware / software from the misty grey PNW no longer supports / operates the now "aged program".

Case in point # 1.

A great "D" size paper scanner operating on Twain 32- bit program.
      The mini computer died. New systems use 64-bit.
      No software for Twain 32 to convert to Twain 64.
      Solution .... junk / dynamite Scanner.

Case point # 2.

A full 12-color plotter with excellent graphics / print quality for A through D size plans.
      $15 mini circuit board absorbs power surge in a $15K plotter.
      Mini board is toast.
      Mini boards no longer produced.
      Solution .... junk / blast plotter.

Finally Case point # 3.

Software program " Quick Easy Cad".
      Simple low tech type importable capable software to Auto-Cad software program with hundreds of drawings.
      Last software operating system is Windows 97 ....
      But the "smart guys" come to rescue and make a back door so Easy Cad will Run on XP!
      Did I mention XP is no longer supported by Bill???

Augh ...
      Last edited by blidgepump; 18 Mar 16,, 11:04.

Comment

• Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
        Finally Case point # 3.

Software program " Quick Easy Cad".
        Simple low tech type importable capable software to Auto-Cad software program with hundreds of drawings.
        Last software operating system is Windows 97 ....
        But the "smart guys" come to rescue and make a back door so Easy Cad will Run on XP!
        Did I mention XP is no longer supported by Bill???

Augh ...
        My home computer is still running on XP, partly because I can't AFFORD a newer OS, and partly because I don't think my old 2010 hardware could run anything newer. I've been receiving notifications for about a year from MS stating that my "operating system is no longer supported by Microsoft", which is fine by me, because that just means I won't keep getting the "updates" from MS (which just slow my computer down, anyway). I Fdisk/reformat my HD every couple of years, anyway, so this just means I (probably) won't have to keep entering a product key code every time I do that (I'm running out of them; I've been using product codes from other computers, but I think they're only good for three or four times).
        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Well, I finally figured out how to change my original 7" X 10" format into 8 1/2" X 11", set the margins within Amazon's requirements. Changing from Word to PDF apparently only needs pushing a button (if I can find the right one). But two of my appendices are in EXCEL so I don't know if I can work them in correctly. At least one appendix is direct scans of a crew list, so working that in will require another bottle of Vodka. I know exactly how to do the front and back covers but the spline width will depend upon how many TOTAL pages I have which is WAY down the road yet. I'm only about half way through the regular text -- correcting some errors, improving grammar, deleting padding, adding in more/accurate info, adding more photos in higher definition ---- so it's going to take me at least two more months of re-write.

However, if any of you shipmates still want to buy a first edition of my book, please do so. I had to hit COSTCO today with over a hundred bucks for more ink cartridges and drowned my depression with two (vs one) double Vodka at the VFW post.

So please be patient. After I think I'm all done, Amazon usually comes back with some errors. I was VERY fortunate with the first edition when after THREE rejections they corrected the errors for me. Whether they would be as generous this time around is up to them, not to me.

So feel free to order the existing edition because I think you will find it very interesting and educational as to the differences between the two editions where scuttlebutt is deleted (or added) and some detail info is better clarified (I think).

Comment

• BIG PROBLEM

I may not be putting out a Revision B of my book after all. Things were working fine setting it up in the larger format using MS Word with the advice that once completed it was just a case of hitting a button to transfer into PDF. I have extra photos, info, etc. until I got up to Chapter 30. Then I found a better set if photos referring to the DSRV (chapter 13). Even then, MS Word started slowing down.

Now it has come to a freeze and I can't do anymore at this time.

Sorry folks. If I can't get it to start working properly, then it's a failure.

Comment

• Congrats on the book which most definitely makes for a pleasurable reading experience.

I've come across some inaccuracies here and there, one of which on page 282, in the caption text for the picture of USS Hull (DD-945).

The 8"/55 Mark-71 MCLWG wasn't "a smoothbore just as the 120mm guns on Abrams MBTs".

The original two-piece barrel (Mark-28 Mod.1) featured a uniform twist rifling (RH 1 in 25).

The production monobloc barrel (Mark-32) was to feature a uniform twist rifling (RH 1 in 20).

Regards.

SW.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW4U View Post
                Congrats on the book which most definitely makes for a pleasurable reading experience.

I've come across some inaccuracies here and there, one of which on page 282, in the caption text for the picture of USS Hull (DD-945).

The 8"/55 Mark-71 MCLWG wasn't "a smoothbore just as the 120mm guns on Abrams MBTs".

The original two-piece barrel (Mark-28 Mod.1) featured a uniform twist rifling (RH 1 in 25).

The production monobloc barrel (Mark-32) was to feature a uniform twist rifling (RH 1 in 20).

Regards.

SW.
                Thank you very much for the corrections. I have already made them in my "attempt" to re-write Revision "B" but my computer, MS Word 7, Amazon's picky-picky requirement of 300 dpi per picture (the National standard is only 200 dpi) and day to day schedules of October to December events is against me. I have credited you under your WAB name of SW4U as I don't know your real name.

There is absolutely no way Revision "B" will be "accepted" this year. I'm not too sure if it will be accepted at all even with my neighbor helping me convert it to PDF. I have a 3 drawer end cabinet for my wife's bedroom that needs to be refinished and I've only got it into a reasonably clear space of the garage to sand it down, spray a sealer, sand the sealer, stain the wood then lacquer the finish. And that's only 4 days from now even with the help of a cabinet maker friend of mine that will do the spraying (good thing I have an air compressor). She will be lucky to get it by our 48th anniversary on Feb 1.

And I will probably still be working on Revision "B". No books have sold last month and none this month. Our car insurance rates went way up because I was caught in a traffic jam of THREE people making LEFT turns in TWO directions while trying to make ONE right turn out of the Mall Parking lot.

But, most of the text is pretty much the same as Revision "A" but with a lot of different (or better) pictures, much more recognition of the WAVES assigned to Reeves N.A.S., and an extra chapter of just general info such as premature ignitions of 16-inch shells and four flying saucers I saw fly over the shipyard.

Well, you gotta have some fun sometime.

Comment

• I'm sorry but I have very bad news. My wife of almost 48 years passed away last night. I'm not going to go into any details right now. Fortunately our daughter is tougher than me and taking care of all notifications, funeral arrangements, etc. It s going to be a very, very long time before I work on Revision "B". So don't wait up for it. I might just say to H*LL with it. Also there is no sense or hurry to me if I refinish that night stand for her.

Comment

• Rusty I am so sorry to hear that. My thoughts are with you and your family.
                    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• Dick, I am so sorry for you brother. My prayers and thoughts will join all of those from your friends here. Please know that we are all here to support you in any way we can! Please, just ask.
                      God will receive her directly.

Comment

• My sincere condolences to you for your loss, Dick.

Comment

• Dick,

I know that there is nothing that I can say in this that will ease any of this for you, but know that you have my respect and my most sincere condolences.

I fully expect that Mrs. Landgraff would want you to be well, would want you to take good care of yourself, so please do not forget that as you think of her.
                          Last edited by JRT; 17 Dec 16,, 00:34.

Comment

• I echo JRT's sentiment, I'm sure Mrs. L would want you to honor her memory by being the best Mr. L that she knew and loved. Again deepest condolences.

Comment

• Not much I can say to alleviate your pain, sadly. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Comment

• REVISION "B' IS NOW AVAILABLE ON AMAZON.

It took me a lot of time but I finally got it together. My neighbor was able to convert it to PDF and make corrections to meet Amazon's requirements.

Comment

Working...
                                X