X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rather an odd duck

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
    Yes, the shipyard did have a torpedo net covering the entrance between the Mole and Pier J. It was tended by the USS Butternut (ANL 9 - orignially YAG 60) that was a class of ships built strictly for opening and closing torpedo/submarine nets at harbor entrances.

In the bottom photo of page 261 you can see in the distance how close the end of the Mole was where Pier J was just being built. It was an ideal location not requiring long nets but still wide enough and deep enough for our Carriers and Battleships to pass through.
    Your answer required more googling about this special class of ship to open and close submarine nets. Not anything like a square jawed Cruiser sporting 8-inch guns, but still a rather important function was served and armed at that with a 3-incher.
    Attached Files
    " Lite all burners, make all steam! "

Comment

Oh yeah, that reminds me. cRusty came over today and delivered his book to me.
      I haven't taken it out of the wrapper yet, but I'm going to assume it's his book inside.
      Thanks cRusty.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
        Oh yeah, that reminds me. cRusty came over today and delivered his book to me.
        I haven't taken it out of the wrapper yet, but I'm going to assume it's his book inside.
        Thanks cRusty.
        You're more than welcome. Your input and editorial assistance kept me going on it.
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

after Amazon decided to diplomatically recognize my country, i got the book about a month ago. Read it in 3 days and Rusty and Ytlas, my deepest respect for the work you did at the shipyard.It was a fascinating place.

btw. bought a local ´popular science´ magazine some days ago and in the article about cranes, the first picture was Herman the German in Panama :)
          If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Finally got around to getting a copy, mostly for reference purposes.
            Found out it was actually a pretty good read all by itself

Thanks Rusty
            sigpicUSS North Dakota

Comment

Hello Rusty,
              I'm new here and this is my first post. I recently received your book and have enjoyed it very much. I used to drive past the shipyard on a weekly basis on the way to work aboard S.S. Lane Victory. That was in the early 90's. Being a ship nut I was always gazing in wonderment at all of the ships and ship parts that were over there. I was lucky enough to get a tour, with the Navy League, aboard Herman the German. That was an amazing day. Since I wasn't allowed to bring a camera, seeing your photos was great. I was also there for the decommissioning ceremonies of both U.S.S. New Jersey and Missouri. I DO have photos of those events.
              While I was never in the Navy, ships have always fascinated me and battleships probably most of all. It was amazing to walk around on both of those incredible vessels.
              I want to thank you for an excellent book that is most welcome in my library.
              Jim Topping

Comment

Originally posted by SharkPilot View Post
                Hello Rusty,
                I'm new here and this is my first post. I recently received your book and have enjoyed it very much. I used to drive past the shipyard on a weekly basis on the way to work aboard S.S. Lane Victory. That was in the early 90's. Being a ship nut I was always gazing in wonderment at all of the ships and ship parts that were over there. I was lucky enough to get a tour, with the Navy League, aboard Herman the German. That was an amazing day. Since I wasn't allowed to bring a camera, seeing your photos was great. I was also there for the decommissioning ceremonies of both U.S.S. New Jersey and Missouri. I DO have photos of those events.
                While I was never in the Navy, ships have always fascinated me and battleships probably most of all. It was amazing to walk around on both of those incredible vessels.
                I want to thank you for an excellent book that is most welcome in my library.
                Jim Topping
                Jim: You're very welcome. My greatest satisfaction is that the history of the shipyard has been saved and not erased from memory as some people have tried to do. We are even having another reunion picnic this year at El Dorado Park. But since the shipyard officially closed in 1997, 376 of us have passed on with 32 of them just since our last picnic in September of 2010.

Though I'll be 75 this year, I'm not too worried as to who will put my name on the list. I don't sit around watching "I Love Lucy" reruns (though they ARE good). I've been keeping myself busy saving the Iowa class Battleships and setting them up as memorial/museum ships. I'm working on my last Battleship now and if I and the Pacific Battleship Center are succesful, you will see the USS Iowa towed into the Main Channel just south of the Lane Victory this year.

Comment

Amazing prices are being asked for my book on Ebay. You can buy it new for only $39.00 from Amazon (sometimes it's on sale for about $32.00).

But on Ebay, a seller in England has 10 of them for sale at around 90 some odd EUROS. But the wall knocker (to me anyway) is a seller in Milwaukee, Wisconsin (my home town at that) is offering a USED copy for $154.00.

So, come on folks. Buy some more. I now have THREE grandchildren to spoil.
                  From left to right: Audrey Rose (turned 2 this month), Cody (7 months) and Austin ( 3 1/2)
                  Attached Files

Comment

Sounds like a good investment. Promise to remove it from Amazon after we all buy 1 copy?

Nice looking kids, especially the one in the middle.
                    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                      Sounds like a good investment. Promise to remove it from Amazon after we all buy 1 copy?

Nice looking kids, especially the one in the middle.
                      That's the only time I have ever seen Cody NOT smiling. Usually he's always smiling and wide-eyed taking everything in.

As for removing my book from Amazon, I can't afford to do that unless a publisher can come up with a way of printing it in a larger size and with fold-outs for the shipyard maps. Amazon Create Space is very restrictive in the sizes it can print a book. With 534 pages the biggest I could get was the 7X10. But that's all I could afford. To go to a larger size, the number of pages would be restricted and would have to be split into two volumes (at least) and may not be as affordable.

At least it's out there and academic institutions can get it at about half price.

Comment

• Havent purchased one yet but I plan to in the future.:)
                        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• you won´t regret it, the book´s excellent IMO
                          If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                            That's the only time I have ever seen Cody NOT smiling. Usually he's always smiling and wide-eyed taking everything in.
                            To be clear, there was no pun intended. I like the kids when they put serious faces.

As for removing my book from Amazon, I can't afford to do that unless a publisher can come up with a way of printing it in a larger size and with fold-outs for the shipyard maps. Amazon Create Space is very restrictive in the sizes it can print a book. With 534 pages the biggest I could get was the 7X10. But that's all I could afford. To go to a larger size, the number of pages would be restricted and would have to be split into two volumes (at least) and may not be as affordable.

At least it's out there and academic institutions can get it at about half price.
                            Let's see if they ship to Macedonia. It's a bargain if you compare it to e-bay prices

Amazon says: 3 new from $39.00 3 used from $150.09
                            Last edited by Doktor; 19 Dec 11,, 22:58.
                            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Purchased my copy last weekend, and Amazon has shipped it. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Comment

• Hi guys where is the best/cheapest place to get the book in the UK?

Im very interested in all things navy and maritime security
                                Last edited by tomkent45; 02 Apr 12,, 14:06. Reason: spelling mistake
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X