This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
    Hey cRusty, are you ever going to pass out the books or are you selling them on Craigslist?

The picnic is still 6 weeks away
    The only thing I've put on CraigsList is my '97 Dakota. Besides, I'm saving a spot for you at our table as my wife and daughter would like to meet you and thank you for all the help you gave me.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Just a quick note of thanks to all of you who have read the book and written up some great reviews for me. I just wish it could have been in a larger format with glossy paper, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
        Rusty, congratulations!
        But is there a alternative way to get it ? Amazon does not recognize my country....
        You could have an American transship it.
        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Debbie already offered her help :)
          If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Just a place to hotlink the banner for the Naval Forces forum until I get into the FTP:
            Attached Files
            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Sorry I am late to this, Rusty.

Congratulations!!!!
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

Oh Lordy! The gall of some people.

Last Tuesday evening I went to our local VFW hall to have some drinks with some friends. One guy there (that I had not seen before) was wearing an American Legion shirt. We had a lot of good conversations going on about tanks, trains, ships and shipyards.

He asked what my book looked like so he could order one. I carry a copy in my truck as there is a certain contributor I want to give it to if and when we run into each other before our Reunion Picnic.

So I got the book out and showed him the cover. Even thumbed through a few pages when a certain subject came up like the Pontoon Bridge.

As I'm getting ready to leave, he asked me to leave the book with him to read and he would bring it back next Tuesday.

Yeah!. Sure! I had not seen him before and I doubt I will see much of him in the future. Certainly not if he "borrows" a copy of my book.

I wasn't born yesterday and as I picked it up to go to my truck to go home I told him if he was really interested he can buy the book off of Amazon and bring THAT copy to the post and I will autograph it for him.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post

Last Tuesday evening I went to our local VFW hall to have some drinks with some friends.

I carry a copy in my truck as there is a certain contributor I want to give it to if and when we run into each other before our Reunion Picnic.
                  I doubt you'd run into certain contributors near the VFW hall. The one Sunday I came by to visit and help you out I noticed that everything in that area was locked down at night, even the parking spaces at the VFW. In my mind that's not what happens in "Good" areas.

I'm pretty sure the same contributor wouldn't care for a copy of the book that had been thumbed through by some cheapskate drunk....

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
                    I doubt you'd run into certain contributors near the VFW hall. The one Sunday I came by to visit and help you out I noticed that everything in that area was locked down at night, even the parking spaces at the VFW. In my mind that's not what happens in "Good" areas.

I'm pretty sure the same contributor wouldn't care for a copy of the book that had been thumbed through by some cheapskate drunk....
                    The VFW post on South Street just west of Orange has been closed down permanently.

The one we go to now is on South Street just east of Paramount next door to the recycling center. The driveway through the parking lot is quite narrow and easy to miss. Best way to find it is by the flagpole in front that is actually a 35 foot fiberglass whip antenna off the Bon Homme Richard.

And I will personally pull a fresh book out of the box and wrap it up.

Comment

Rusty.. I just ordered one of your books from Amazon.. I'll have to head up your way from San Diego to have you autograph it.. when's your normal time at the VFW hall?

Comment

Originally posted by dundonrl View Post
                        Rusty.. I just ordered one of your books from Amazon.. I'll have to head up your way from San Diego to have you autograph it.. when's your normal time at the VFW hall?
                        I'm at the hall almost every Tuesday night from 1700 to ???. Except the first Tuesday of the month when I have to leave at 1845 to go to my American Legion meeting (I'm 1st Vice Cdr of Post 560).

However, on September 26 (Saturday) we are having a Reunion Picnic at El Dorado Park. I will be there with my displays of shipyard memorabilia.

And thank you for ordering the book. I hope your find it informative, interesting, educational and humorous.

Comment

I need some more advertising guys. I do NOT have a listing on Facebook (most of them are teeny-boppers anyway trying to build their own 15 minutes of famd). Nor do I have a personal BLOG (whatever that is).

My only serious forum is WAB. My second is the LBNSY website. For fun I'm on the "Smallville" forum because I'm a Superman fan (also Kristen Kreuk and Erica Durance are great turn ons).

I do not have a BLOG or a Facebook entry. If any of you do, I would appreciate it if you could mention my book.

So far this month (September 8) only 2 books have been sold. August was pretty good at 14 books and July was astounding at 2 books on the last day of the month when it first appeared on Amazon.

I'm sure many more would have been sold a few years ago. But since the shipyard closed, 279 of us have died since then (unfortunately I wound up as the obit keeper).

I have a grandson to spoil rotten and a grand daughter on the way in December. The royalties will help me to teach them how to shoot my grandmother's rifle (a wedding present from my grandfather) and how to run a cut-off saw.
                          Last edited by RustyBattleship; 09 Sep 09,, 06:18.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                            I need some more advertising guys. I do NOT have a listing on Facebook (most of them are teeny-boppers anyway trying to build their own 15 minutes of fame).
                            You should check into Facebook, a lot of people have accounts. A certain former female supervisor (L.M.) of Plan Files opened a Facebook account yesterday and sent me her first Friend invitation. A number of people you banter with on the WAB have Facebook accounts. You'll have to join to find out who they are, I won't tell.

You might even find some old friends you haven't seen or heard from in a dozen years.

As for selling the book, I bet you haven't considered contacting the reunion associations of the various carriers, heavy cruisers, destroyers and auxilliary ships that passed through Long Beach to have them include a page ad for your book.

Lastly, you can give you book as a Christmas gift to the guy/gal who already has everything.

Comment

Posted on my blog.

Well done for this, BTW.

Comment

I have it up on wikimapia's LBNSY tag
                                You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Working...
                                X