This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
    I have the complimentary/contributor books on order but haven't received them yet.
    These Complimentary/Contributor books are actual books and not scaled-down pamphlets?

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
      These Complimentary/Contributor books are actual books and not scaled-down pamphlets?
      Hardly a pamphlet at 534 pages. They are the full books.

As a matter of fact, some may want to order them as E books to upload on their computer. It would be easier then to find a ship's name in Appendix A which is 3,532 dry dockings or a name of a graduate apprentice in Appendix E which is the names of all 2,870 graduates.

But you know that already as you proof read both A and E for me and found some major corrections.

There is one laughable correction I made in Appendix A (good thing you included macros) was the Cacapon was dry docked 5 times but its name was spelled 4 different ways.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

For those of us who are going to plunk down cold hard cash ... :))

Don't forget to use the World Affairs Board Amazon.com store to make your purchase!

World Affairs Board Library & Bookstore

Once you're there, simply enter Long Beach Naval Shipyard in the search box and you'll see the second choice is the one you want. :)

We'll very quickly get this book added to the World Affairs Board Library and Bookstore so you won't even have to search.

Just ordered mine and I'm even going to splurge for the $3.99 shipping so I won't have to wait until next Thursday before they even decide to ship lol
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

Just ordered mine and I'm even going to splurge for the $3.99 shipping so I won't have to wait until next Thursday before they even decide to ship lol
          You'll probably be the first one to get and review the book.

Looks like I'm going to have to wait until the picnic in late September to get mine.

Comment

You'll probably be the first one to get and review the book.

Looks like I'm going to have to wait until the picnic in late September to get mine.

AHA! I'm finally going to get you to come to our picnic. I'll let you bounce my grandson on your knee.

Comment

AHA! I'm finally going to get you to come to our picnic. I'll let you bounce my grandson on your knee.
              The chances are still pretty slim for me to show up at a picnic. I look at Herr's pictures every year of the picnic and two of the people who I wouldn't have minded talking to won't be there this year. One had to move back to Oklahoma after the government retired him and the other passed away in 2006.

It would be cheaper to meet you somewhere for breakfast and pick up the book.

Be even cheaper for you to mail it Media Mail.

Comment

The chances are still pretty slim for me to show up at a picnic. I look at Herr's pictures every year of the picnic and two of the people who I wouldn't have minded talking to won't be there this year. One had to move back to Oklahoma after the government retired him and the other passed away in 2006.

It would be cheaper to meet you somewhere for breakfast and pick up the book.

Be even cheaper for you to mail it Media Mail.
                Don's pictures only show a fraction of the people there. He concentrates mostly on machinists as he was.

You don't have to buy a dinner ticket (see the LBNSY website), just show up and mingle around.

Comment

Rusty...congrats on the book. What a wonderful accomplishment! BD1...if you want someone to help you out, I would be more than happy too.
                  Welcome, you step into a forum of the flash bang, chew toy hell, and shove it down your throat brutal honesty. OoE

Comment

Don's pictures only show a fraction of the people there. He concentrates mostly on machinists as he was.

You don't have to buy a dinner ticket (see the LBNSY website), just show up and mingle around.
                    What's the planned size of your display this year? Is it going to be everything you've brought the last few years, plus the book stuff?

Is someone going to bring an oxygen tank for Herr after he unloads all of it?

Comment

congratulations Rusty

Comment

What's the planned size of your display this year? Is it going to be everything you've brought the last few years, plus the book stuff?

Is someone going to bring an oxygen tank for Herr after he unloads all of it?
                        Yes, the displays will be the same until we get a proper Naval Museum to put them in.

Still have one more plaque to mount as I got it just before getting the book published. It's of the Naval Sabotage Center. Er. I mean Supply center.

As for Don, well, the first time he had to do this for me was four years ago right after I got out of the hospital from congestive heart failure. It will be harder this year because I have a bigger truck now.

We bought our daughter's Ford F-150 crew cab 4X4 and I put a camper shell on it.

The Dakota is for sale in case you know somebody interested in it. It's a 97 but only 74,000 miles on it and the only "major" engine work was two oxygen sensors and a serpentine belt. All servicing was done at the dealership so everything is on their computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
                          Rusty...congrats on the book. What a wonderful accomplishment! BD1...if you want someone to help you out, I would be more than happy too.
                          thanks Debbie, your an angel :)
                          I´ll look for 2 more solutions and PM you.
                          If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Well look at what arrived in the mail today! :)
                            Attached Files
                            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Another monitor???

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                                Another monitor???
                                Our IT guy is pushing me for a 4th monitor "It'd look SO COOL man!"

I've been paging through the book when I've got a minute to spare. It's looking great, lots of great "insider" stuff, especially when it was announced to a group of LBNSY guys that all 4 battleships were going to be reactivated. The reaction was priceless. :)

Comment

Working...
                                X