This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
    Oh, I'm STILL having trouble upgrading my scanner. Though I downloaded an upgrade, it still WILL NOT scan slide films and transparencies. I'm having a hell of a time scanning and cleaning up the RPV drawings for the Battleship Missouri. Very time consuming and very hard on the eyes.
    Very easy solution. Go back to XP. There's nothing saying you can't use XP for your book to do all the editing and things. Once you're done, put it on a flash drive and then put it on a Windows 10 machine for the final formating, if that even needs to be done.
    Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
      Very easy solution. Go back to XP. There's nothing saying you can't use XP for your book to do all the editing and things. Once you're done, put it on a flash drive and then put it on a Windows 10 machine for the final formating, if that even needs to be done.
      Sounds easy -- for somebody half my age. I do NOT understand 75% of the computer language, abbreviations, etc. I'm a STRUCTURAL engineer, not a sparktrician.

Also, I did install Windows 10 ---ONCE. Besides taking over an hour to load up, once it was active I absolutely hated it. It would not accept any pictures from my digital camera for example. There were several other nuances that left me totally frustrated. So I had to hire a computer technician to put Windows 7 BACK ON my computer.

I really preferred XP, but NOBODY supports it anymore. Especially those nerds up in Washington State that just want to screw us up enough to force us to buy more operating systems. Oh yes, MS 10 was "free". But to get my older programs to work I would have to buy hundreds of dollars worth of new software (such as Corel Draw that I have done all of my Battleship engineering and compartmentaion drawinds on as well as scaled maps of the the shipyard showing its layout from WW II until closing).

Now, if I understand you correctly, I can install XP temporarily in order to scan all those slides and negatives (that I still have to search my file drawers and desk drawers for). That would be fine.

But, I don't know how to do it. My former computer was XP but the one I have now came with 7. Hopefully the young man who lives 55 feet from my front door (across the street) is as computer savvy as I've been told. He recently was laid off from his regular job and I'd rather give him the money than our regular computer tech. Oh, there's not a thing wrong about our regular tech, it's just that our neighbor needs the money more than he does.

Hmmm. It's almost Happy Hour at my local VFW post. Time to get dressed and wind down.

BUT, I thank you sincerely for your advice and I'm going to try to follow it.

Oh, for my background experience with computers? I did invent a new engineering formula that was much more accurate calculating the strength in steel rings in tension. The secret is to use the Modulus of PLASTICITY instead of ELASTICITY and reverse the two constants in the original formula. But the closest thing I used for the computations was a Marchant electro-mechanical calculator. Before retirement, I was trained on 3-D Autocad drawings. I have Autocad 14 --- but ----I have forgotten how to use it. You see, I have no problem developing 2d drawings because I think in 3D and know what the other side will look like and all it takes is a simple auxiliary view to draw it in 2d. On page 103 of my book you will see that I really enjoyed myself developing those Isometric drawings (by hand in pencil) to haul down the items 185 feet underwater to test the DSRV.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Richard,

In regards to the Win 10 issues - I don't know if this will help, but - I just got a "new" Dell desktop (actually a refurbished 2010 high end business model) from a former IBM guru I deal with locally. It has Win 7 pro and he said he could load Win 10 and if he did - that Microsoft gives you a grace period so that if you don't like it, you will click on a reset to Win 7 button and the computer will revert to Win 7 and the newer 10 version disappears. I told him NO! I wanted Win 7 from the gitgo and so that's what happened. My suggestion is that you visit your computer-savvy neighbor ASAP and see if he can't get you steered in the right direction. I hated giving up XP, but all my computers (work, hobby shop, etc) were Win 7 pro so now my home PC is also. One other note - my guru also told me that there is a setting when you load Win 10 that allows you to set it up to "look and feel" like Win 7 - you might bring that up with your neighbor, as well. I trust my guru (3rd refurb'd unit I've bought from him) and he's spot on when it comes to this sort of electronics, etc. (a former DoD contractor in the high end crypto stuff - I don't ask!!!).

Hope this helps,

Hank

ps - this computer crap keeps getting worse so they can keep soaking the public $$$ at every turn!

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
          Ummm, don't be so much in a hurry to wait for Revision B. I haven't even started reformatting everything as I'm waiting on Amazon Create Space to tell me what I have to do (if it's possible in my archaic mind who was comfortable with a manual typewriter) and what they can do for me.

Plus I will have to dig out all of the Negatives and Photographs to rescan in a higher definition. It will be MONTHS before I can submit a revision --- THAT IS IF I AM UP TO THE LABOR TO DO IT. Come July 26 I will be turning 8 decades old and my patience is a tad short. So go ahead and buy the existing edition as in my previous message I gave you folks the main corrections to pencil in. The main thing the larger size edition will do is allow larger and more readable maps of the Naval Complex (Appendix D) and I can add in a few extra photos here and there.

Also, any royalties I get will give me a little more down time at our local VFW post. Some days are not complete until I have my Vodka on the rocks. Well, my paternal grandfather (though German by birth) was a Ukranian Cossack. So I have to toast to his honor. Well, my maternal grandfather was 3/4 Irish (with a Welsh name) so a jigger or so of Canadian goes well also since his mother was actually born in Canada rather than Ireland (her parents took an earlier boat and afterwards hopped across the Wisconsin border at the western tip of Lake Superior. No, not really illegals. They were farmers and the border patrol just looked the other way because the upper midwest needed farmers desperately).
          Hi Rusty,

I already have a copy of the original. Read it cover to cover.

And I will wait patiently for Rev B. and buy it too!

Love all your posts and knowledge and experiences with the Iowa class, and your experiences at the shipyard were amazing.

You're a national treasure, sir.

Cheers!

Scott

Comment

• Rusty,

Did you dispose of your XP computer? Curious since I still have the two I retired when I picked up a pair of Win 7 computers on eBay.

Comment

• Originally posted by richardmiller
              If there was a train which would take you to Hollywood and give you $ 3 million, would you catch it?
              Click here: www.6legend9.cliffaz.com
              Sorry, I don't waste time with those gimmick advertisements/commercials. I have a Ford F-150 4X4 than can get me to Hollywierd in 30 to 45 minutes. Besides, movie and TV are shot here in the Long beach and San Pedro area every few weeks. So all they have to do is drop off the 3,000,000 at my house on their way to there location shoot. If they are filming aboard the Battleship Iowa, I can volunteer as a tour guide, safety inspector or even as a bit actor (I played a sadistic Nazi soldier in a movie once).

Comment

• Me and my big mouth. Since I announced I was "intending" to write a Revision B of my book, not a single one of the original has sold this month.

Don't hold your breaths. It may take me quite a long time before I can have a copy ready within Amazon's requirements of size and margins. The emails they sent me appear very detailed. But I don't understand half of the technical terms. Now if they were talking about how I invented a new breaking strength formula for steel Garland Rings, no problem. You just need a 3-D imagination to visualize the original formula was using the wrong modulus.

My neighbor across the street is trying to help me out. He said that since I already have it written in WORD on 8.5 X 11 (the format I plan to use for the "minor" rewrite) I should do my revisions on that first and then transfer over to PDF. Ummm, and how do you do that transfer? Well, even he has to study the instructions.

Also I have committed myself to cleaning up some negatives of some old "old" BB drawings for the Missouri in Pearl Harbor. GAWD they are horrible negatives. They look like the original 30" X 48" sheets were put up on a target range and somebody tested the patterns of their Skeet guns with No. 9 shot. A BOX at a time. I was on this dang machine from 0800 to 1500 today just cleaning up a couple of the details and figuring out exact dimensions to be shown where the lettering is almost totally faded out.

I have promised to do this for the ship and I try to keep my promises. But I didn't know how much strain this would be. Fortunately, my neighbor showed me a way I could scan them with the transparency light in the lid. All I really had to do was cut down the margins around the drawing otherwise the scanner was interpreting that something was blocking the light.

I guess the Whiz Kids who programmed the drivers never read Isaac Asimov's laws on Robots must be helpmates and not bitches.

Comment

• I guess the Whiz Kids who programmed the drivers never read Isaac Asimov's laws on Robots must be helpmates and not bitches.

Rusty,

You sir have won the internet.

That is an excellent explanation for many of our woes today.

I am so glad I wrote my masters thesis on an old Mac in 1992-1993. I have been able to keep it as we moved along.

My wife's thesis, which she wrote in 1987 in WordStar is long gone....unrecoverable. And trust me, we have tried.
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                    My wife's thesis, which she wrote in 1987 in WordStar is long gone....unrecoverable. And trust me, we have tried.
                    Wordstar was king. With a menu screen that took up half the monitor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_WDSTAR.GIF
Views:	2
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	1468421

Oh before I forget,

Damn your old (big grin)

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                      Wordstar was king. With a menu screen that took up half the monitor.

[ATTACH]41135[/ATTACH]

Oh before I forget,

Damn your old (big grin)

I just started twitching and started screaming.....BRING ME HARVARD GRAPHICS AND A DOT MATRIX PRINTER!!!!!!!!!

And right back at ya, Gunny! (big kiss!!!)
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• Mmmmmm.... dot matrix......

Comment

• Harvard Graphics. Who knows how many hours/days weeks I have using that program to make slides when I was at Sill.

Spend days inputting info in Harvard Graphics. Take that info, on a 720k 3.5in floppy disk, to the base Audio Visual center. Give them a week or so to transfer that info to 35mm slides. Pick the box of slides up, load the carousel for the slide projector. Then flip through it to make sure that the slides were correct, in sequence with the lesson plan and not sideways or backwards. Practice your class with the slides.

Give a teach back to the school OIC. He would then add/subtract slides. Change POI Have you add info to some ect.. Start over in Harvard Graphics. Finally get everything the way the Blockhouse wanted it.

Then use those slides, and the student handouts, and the instructors lesson plan that you made in Wordstar, to give a 30min to an hour class to a bunch of 18yr old mouth breathers.

Then using the test results from that class, make changes to the POI/Slides/Lesson Plan to reflect what need to be emphasized during the next group.

Oh the good old days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                            Harvard Graphics. Who knows how many hours/days weeks I have using that program to make slides when I was at Sill.

Spend days inputting info in Harvard Graphics. Take that info, on a 720k 3.5in floppy disk, to the base Audio Visual center. Give them a week or so to transfer that info to 35mm slides. Pick the box of slides up, load the carousel for the slide projector. Then flip through it to make sure that the slides were correct, in sequence with the lesson plan and not sideways or backwards. Practice your class with the slides.

Give a teach back to the school OIC. He would then add/subtract slides. Change POI Have you add info to some ect.. Start over in Harvard Graphics. Finally get everything the way the Blockhouse wanted it.

Then use those slides, and the student handouts, and the instructors lesson plan that you made in Wordstar, to give a 30min to an hour class to a bunch of 18yr old mouth breathers.

Then using the test results from that class, make changes to the POI/Slides/Lesson Plan to reflect what need to be emphasized during the next group.

Oh the good old days.
                            Sorry. There are only two people I have heard of that were Harvard graduates worth remembering. One is Tommy Lee Jones. The one thing I can agree with my EX son-in-law is any movie with him in it is definitely worth watching. The other is Admiral Yamamoto. Too bad he was on the wrong side of the war. He was so good, Admiral Halsey had to have him (literally) AMBUSHED by P-38 Lightnings.

I'm sure there are other Harvard grads worth mentioning. But I forget their names. So, maybe, they're not worth the time to look them up.

Comment

• Gunny,

I am laughing my butt off on your posting. Tears of glee and frustration mixed. Good times, brother.

Dick,

The software program did not come out of Harvard from what I know. It was named that because it was beta tested there.
                              Mark Twain

Comment

• My computer programming memories go back to the '80's with BASIC and FORTRAN, and all of those lovely punch cards that you would spend hours programming just to run a 30-second program. BASIC was kind of fun, if you knew what to do with it. My devious friend and I would write an endless-loop program, send it to a dot-matrix printer on the other side of campus, then leave the building; it usually took somebody in the other building 15 or 20 minutes to figure out what was going on, and shut the printer down. By then, we would've wasted half a box of continuous-feed paper, and a whole lotta ink.
                                "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Working...
                                X