Webley revolvers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
    I guess I will have to buy this Webley now that I have TWO endorsements.:)
    GIT! Go get it NOW! Wait not lest you be preempted. Get thee to the gunowner. GO!

Prof

Comment

I bought the Webley.

I examined it today. The surface has some rust spots, but no pitting. The finish still seems to be decent. The barrel is shiny except for about 3/4 inch near the muzzle where it's less than shiny. I did not see an importer's mark.

The lock up is very tight. The action is surprisingly smooth. An interesting feature is a safety on the frame just above the grip panel. I think I read somewhere that Singapore police used the Webley Mk IV with safety.

According to The Webley & Scott Archive , the Webley I bought appears to be manufactured in 1943.

I don't know if there are or should be multiple serial numbers on this gun. I hope it still has all original parts rather than a franken-Webley.

I wish I can show you some pictures right now, but due to Kommiefornia law, the gun has to sit in gun jail for 10 days before I can pick it up. I will post pictures once I get it home and all cleaned up.

According to post #14 here: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=918, this version was indeed manufactured for Singapore police use after WW2. I wonder why the serial number indicates it being from 1943? Maybe it was re-manufactured and supplied to Singapore.
      Last edited by gunnut; 22 Nov 09,, 07:12.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

GN:

I knew that Hamlet would stir you to action. Good.

Prof

Comment

GN, here's the related accessories site for you - :P
          When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Knaur Amarsh View Post
            GN, here's the related accessories site for you - :P
            Fedora - check

Comment

Don't forget the trench coat.

Prof

Comment

Originally posted by Prof View Post
                Don't forget the trench coat.

Prof
                Wow. Just figured out what Knaur Amarsh's little bitty horizontal lines were. Now that's an obsessed outfit. Still, get a trench coat now that you have the Webley. It's a rule.

Prof

Comment

Originally posted by Prof View Post
                  Wow. Just figured out what Knaur Amarsh's little bitty horizontal lines were. Now that's an obsessed outfit. Still, get a trench coat now that you have the Webley. It's a rule.

Prof
                  Oh I plan to.

Comment

Webley revolvers

I just bought a webley mark 4 from century arms $250.00.its looks new.you can buy 38 s&w any gun store.$25.00 a box.

Comment

Originally posted by CROWPAUL View Post
                      I just bought a webley mark 4 from century arms $250.00.its looks new.you can buy 38 s&w any gun store.$25.00 a box.
                      I don't know where you're at, but I have never seen 38 S&W ammo in any of the stores near me. I haven't even heard of this round until I researched the Webley.

Ammo is rather scarce on the left coast, and expensive too.

You have a Webley imported by Century? Is it import marked? I don't think the one I bought has any import mark on it. At least none that I can see. I don't have the gun yet as it is sitting in quarantine thanks to Kommifornia liberals.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                        Oh I plan to.
                        So we are gonna have an Oriental looking bloke in a Fedora and trench coat wielding a Webley in Cali, damnit this so demands pictures and a funny caption
                        When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Knaur Amarsh View Post
                          So we are gonna have an Oriental looking bloke in a Fedora and trench coat wielding a Webley in Cali, damnit this so demands pictures and a funny caption
                          Hold on, I'm working on a whip.

Comment

My late 2nd cousin's collection had several Webleys. Very nice revolvers.
                            F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Woot! Brought the Webley home. It's nicer than I thought. The cylinder and frame have matching serial numbers. It was an "A" series built in 1943 according to the serial number, for Singapore police. There is a safety catch just above the grip. Quite unusual for a revolver. The double action is surprisingly smooth. I mentioned that already, but it's so smooth, I want to mention it again. Single action breaks very crisp.

I have a quesiton, can I use 38 special brass to reload 38 S&W? I dropped an empty 38 SPL in the cylinder and it fits, except being way too long. I have literally thousands of 38 SPL cases sitting around. I might as well experiment on them.

Pictures to follow...

Comment

.38 S&W brass should be available from Star Brass Co. I believe Remington still produces .38 S&W ammo.

Comment

Working...
                                X