Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fall Classic

Are the Dodgers for real?

It's been almost 21 years since I saw the Kirk Gibson home run off Dennis Eckersly at the bottom of the 9th in game 1 of the 1988 World Series. I've been disappointed for 19 seasons in a row now. Will this be the year for the Dodgers? Is Joe Torre really the difference?

And some stuff about Yankees and Angels... Who cares? :P
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Dont know but I do know that Philadelphia has the makings for another run at the title. See you soon.:));)
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Anybody but the BoSox.

And yea, the Dodgers are the real deal, with timely assistance from Joe Torre & Donnie Baseball - but watch out, Torre has been good at gettin to the playoffs, but crappy at staying the playoffs the last few years.

Lets go Yankees! Back in 1st!
      You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

I definitely think the Dodgers are a threat come playoff time, as well as the Phillies. Those two teams while not a total gurantee of making the playoffs, are sitting pretty good right now. I don't see either the Rockies or the Giants catching LA for the division. How would you like to be the Braves now going 8-2 over the last ten games and still losing ground on the Phillies? The races for the NL central and NL wild card are looking like they will go down to the wire. As of today in the central 3 teams are within two games of the Cards. Still a lot of baseball to play though, but as of now both Philly and LA are looking like the two favorites in the NL to get there IMO.

I would normally be following a lot closer than what I have been so far. My main team is the Cubs, and let's just say that during the offseason several moves did not please me. Oh and speaking of could you guys take it to the Cardinals in this upcoming series next week;)?

As of now I am rooting for the Rockies to make it back, and hopefully perform better this time through. (Why not the Cubs, come on they're the Cubs like they're ever going to win the pennant, I think the mere mention of them in this thread may be a bannable offense as it is way OT :()

Comment

Finally, a baseball thread!!

I think the most interesting, whether you're a fan of these two teams or not, is the race between the BoSox and Yankees. What a come back the Yankees made and what a mess up the BoSox made in the past few weeks

Anyone watch yesterday's Dodgers game? Manny wasn't supposed to play, but bases were loaded and good ol Joe Torre said "I could see that something would happen from the way ManRam was walking around in the dugout" and he throws him into the game without even a single practice swing, and BOOM, Grandslam!

Comment

Actually the Red Sox vs. Yankees rivalry lost most if not all of its meaning to me when the Red Sox won their second World Series (in this century). Before that it had a sense of little underdog vs. evil empire. Now though it seems like evil empire vs. evil empire. No grudges against those who still enjoy it, good for them. For me though I could care less now, of course I am also a hardline National League fan who still gets sick whenever the AL wins either the WS or the All Star game.

No I am not bitter that both the Red Sox and White Sox have won a WS this past decade

Now for the sake of discussion I do think the Red Sox will come back. They always seem to struggle against the AL West and I do believe they are mostly done with those games. Yep just checked their record 8-16 against the AL West wow that hurts.

Oh and in other baseball news, just saw that Buehrle tossed a perfect game good for him, wow that was painful to type.

Comment

Ok speaking of Buehrle's perfect game. CBS sports has perhaps the dumbest headline. "Buehrle, Wise prove ChiSox have what they're looking for" so your all star pitcher makes one outstanding start and your centerfielder makes one outstanding catch means you don't need any pitching help or a new CF. Wow I need to find that facepalm photo from that other thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                Ok speaking of Buehrle's perfect game. CBS sports has perhaps the dumbest headline. "Buehrle, Wise prove ChiSox have what they're looking for" so your all star pitcher makes one outstanding start and your centerfielder makes one outstanding catch means you don't need any pitching help or a new CF. Wow I need to find that facepalm photo from that other thread.
                roflzz

Comment

The BoSox n Yankees beef is just downplayed. Let them both make the playoffs and everything will be ignited again. Ofcourse ppl would want a Dodgers vs BoSox series more than anything, I know I would, imagine the ratings on that

I read that Halladay might not be traded, I thought he was going to Phillies

Comment

Originally posted by Mobbme View Post
                    I read that Halladay might not be traded, I thought he was going to Phillies
                    They are still working out the details on the trade, the Blue Jays rejected the Phillies latest offer.

My take on the season so far: my M's are out of it, they weren't serious contenders though. The Angels, Red Sox, and Yankees will make the playoffs as well as the Tigers in the AL. NL will be Phillies, Dodgers, Cardinals and Rockies.

My hope for the WS would be Tigers-Rockies, I have always liked Jim Leyland and think he deserves a ring. But if he doesn't get it, then the Rockies should win.

I would be surprised if those two teams made it. It will probably be Yankees-Phils or Yankees-Dodgers, or some other NL team, and being the Yankee hater that I am, I hope the NL wins.

Comment

I can understand why everyone hates ManRam, man had it all in Boston and he ruined it. BUT* he is a great player, there is no doubt about that, I hope Dodgers win it all.

For Baseball, not for myself, I think it would be great to have a Boston vs Dodgers series. I'd rather prefer to see Yankees in the finals, but hey, Boston will bring that much more fans around the world.

Comment

The yanks-bosox rivalry is overplayed....at least to me. A lifetime of being a yankees fan and 4 years of living in Boston (including the amazing Aaron F***ing Boone year) kinda beat the horse to near death to me. Nobody was happier than I when the Devil Rays finally burst onto the AL East scene and made a name for themselves apart from just being celler dwellers.

The yanks are on a torrid pace right now, but I expect them to cool a bit on this upcoming road trip. It'll be a fight down the road as always with the bosox, but hopefully this year the wild card will go to someone aside from the #2 spot in the AL East, like it seems to have done for the last too-many years....

I vote yankees v. dodgers world series, Torre vs his old team, a NY team vs. what still should be a NY (Brooklyn) team. Could be interesting. Like I said before, anybody but the Bosox
                        You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Yeah, everyone agrees to em being overplayed.

Torres vs his old team would also be awesome, I totally forgot about that one. If yankees win, George would look like a genius, if Torre wins with the Dodgers it will be because the Yankees are choke artists.

Comment

Speaking of Aarorn ******* Boone, MLB has him and Alex S Gonzalez to blame/thank for missing out on what would have been possibly the best WS ratings ever in 2003.

In the NL Central a key series starts today IMO, Cubs Astros. I think the Astros have a chance of winning the Central. Either way the team that takes the series can gather some nice momentum.

Rockies took 2 of 3 from the Giants over the weekend which makes me .

Of course the Cardinals Dodgers series should be an interesting one as well.

Lots of baseball left to be played and right now my NL dark horse canidate is Houston. No reason in particular I'm just getting that feeling about them.

Comment

Wow, anyone watching the bosox vs Yankees series? Yankees just exploded in the 4th inning, they scored 8 runs roflzzz

Comment

Working...
                              X