• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISI chief to India: talk to us, we make policy too

Competing power centers in Pakistan?

The Hindu : Front Page : ISI chief to India: talk to us, we make policy too

Excerpt
    ISI chief to India: talk to us, we make policy too

ISLAMABAD/NEW DELHI: Days before Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his Pakistani counterpart Yusuf Raza Gilani met in Egypt, the head of the Inter-Services Intelligence floated a suggestion that India deal not just with Pakistan’s civilian government but also directly with its Army and intelligence agency.

Lt. Gen. Shuja Pasha made the out-of-the-box overture during a meeting earlier this month with the three Indian defence advisers representing the Indian Army, Navy and Air Force attached to the Indian High Commission in Islamabad, The Hindu has learnt.

The sit-in at Lt. Gen. Pasha’s office in Rawalpindi on July 3 took place entirely at his initiative, though it was ostensibly convened in response to a request made by the Indian High Commission “years before.” It is normal for defence advisors attached to various diplomatic missions in Islamabad to seek and be granted calls on the ISI director-general — a wing of the ISI is the co-ordinating agency for them — but Indians have rarely had an audience.
    The Hindu has learnt that during the course of the extremely cordial meeting, Lt. Gen. Pasha came clean in stating that the ISI and the Pakistan Army were involved in framing Pakistan’s India policy, along with the Foreign Office. He made the oblique suggestion that India deal directly with these three institutions if it had a similar three-way mechanism.
    Ministry of External Affairs officials asked Pakistan’s High Commissioner to India Shahid Malik about the ISI chief’s suggestion, but the envoy was unaware that the meeting had even taken place. This led the MEA to conclude that the Pakistani foreign office may not be in the loop.

Asked about the July 3 meeting last week, Mr. Malik confirmed to The Hindu that it took place but said he was unaware of what was discussed. Major-General Athar Abbas, the Pakistani military spokesman, said he had no knowledge of the meeting. Officials at the Indian High Commission in Islamabad also refused comment.
    Seriously???

I mean, we all know this, but now India will have to talk to 2 different power centers to get any "legitimate progress"???

I wonder if we need a joint statement with the ISI chief now

On a related note, this came out on Pakistan Daily

ISI Summons RAW Chief Over Terrorism In Pakistan | Pakistan Daily

Excerpt
    I
    SI Summons RAW Chief Over Terrorism In Pakistan

Pakistan slaps India with evidence of RAW’s involvement in Terrorism in Pak.

ISI Chief Shuja Pasha has summoned his Indian Counterpart, K C Verma for a meeting through the Indian defence attache in the Indian High Commission in Islamabad.
    Pakistan has stockpiles of evidence against Indian consulates in Afghanistan that are being used to fund terrorism in Pakistan through Baitullah Mehsud’s TTP as well as Brahamdagh Bugti and his ‘BLA’ (Baloch Liberation Army).
    The Americans – under heavy pressure in Afghanistan – have started to realise they cannot save face in Afghanistan unless Pakistan’s legitimate concerns with regards to Indian sponsored terrorism are addressed immediately.
    Whether K C Verma takes up Shuja Pasha’s offer of a one-on-one or not, Pakistan should increase the pressure on the US by declaring neutrality with regards to Afghanistan, and block the supply of American and NATO weapons through its soil. With no other supply line available, this act will go a long way in turning the tables and forcing the US to negotiate on Pakistan’s terms – which must include the complete elimination of Indian assets in Afghanistan. Dan Qayyum
    I was not aware that an official of one country had the authority to summon his/ her counterpart from another country

Not sure if this one belongs to the WOT thread of Int. Defence. Mods can take that call
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

I just noticed that Prof/ Merlin had posted this. Mods, can you merge?
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
      I was not aware that an official of one country had the authority to summon his/ her counterpart from another country

Not sure if this one belongs to the WOT thread of Int. Defence. Mods can take that call
      Well, MMS did talk of including Balochi issue in his talks with Pakistan. Parliament is still fuming on the issue, but the Balochis seem quite happy.
      Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
      -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
        Well, MMS did talk of including Balochi issue in his talks with Pakistan. Parliament is still fuming on the issue, but the Balochis seem quite happy.
        Singhji did a huge ba!!$ up, IMO.

I also get the fact that ISI Chief can request for a meeting with his counterpart (and I am sure it is a perfectly cordial request, Pakistani Media is just playing it up as a summons).

What I do not get is the desire to be engaged at a policy/ strategic level.

To be clear, I also do not like the idea of Dr. Singh hobnobbing with Gilani. A head of government should deal with the Head of government of another state. In the case of Pakistan (at least till they get their structures formalised), that would be Zardari, who also doubles as Head of State.

Comment

Working...
        X