Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need better intelligence!

Well, Damn!

I'm doing the recreation of the moon landing, moment by moment, on the net, and right now, it is lunar blackout, so I am surfing at other things.

Come to find out that Jerri Nielsen died last month.

It seems I'm often behind the power curve. It wasn't until Sunday that I found out about Uncle Walter.

Some of this comes from my schedule. Being on the midshift, I don't see the 10 pm news. Some of it comes from seeing the talking heads as mind pollution.....so I don't watch them either.

But when something interesting comes up, it seems that it's that one moment when they are saying something useful.

I need to find a better way to the news without all the garbage.

How about Headline News by CNN? It repeats every 30 min with minimal garbage...most of the time. If garbage is on, switch to CNN or Fox. If they have talking heads on, switch to SyFy...
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by SnowLeopard View Post
      Well, Damn!

I'm doing the recreation of the moon landing, moment by moment, on the net, and right now, it is lunar blackout, so I am surfing at other things.

It seems I'm often behind the power curve. It wasn't until Sunday that I found out about Uncle Walter.

Some of this comes from my schedule. Being on the midshift, I don't see the 10 pm news. Some of it comes from seeing the talking heads as mind pollution.....so I don't watch them either.

But when something interesting comes up, it seems that it's that one moment when they are saying something useful.

I need to find a better way to the news without all the garbage.

Its pretty descent and if you scroll down to the bottom of each page there are more links to good articles as well. Tell me what you think of it.:)

As gun nut metioned prior CNN is pretty good and for European news you have the BBC. That should atleast give you a start.
      Last edited by Dreadnought; 20 Jul 09,, 18:40.
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Snow

BTW, this just in. Michael Jackson died.:))
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          How about Headline News by CNN? It repeats every 30 min with minimal garbage...most of the time. If garbage is on, switch to CNN or Fox. If they have talking heads on, switch to SyFy...
          Somehow, Robin Meade does not thrill me as anything but entertaining eye candy. I have hard time taking her seriously when she is going off on weekends to sing at this or that affair. Further, other things that makes me doubt HLN is the feedin to the entertainment tonight news and the commercials for Nancy Grace and other nighttime people. That's not news.....that's talking about things to stir up emotions to get ratings.

I consider FOX to be highly unreliable and I'm not really that sure about CNN. What is this SyFy?

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
          Hi Snow, I actually keep a few sources around. One of the better ones IMO is
          iWon - News - News Home

Its pretty descent and if you scroll down to the bottom of each page there are more links to good articles as well. Tell me what you think of it.:)

As gun nut metioned prior CNN is pretty good and for European news you have the BBC. That should atleast give you a start.
          I'll try those links. As far as BBC goes, I do have the web site and use it from time to time, but it does take a while to decently get thru it daily, like 2-4 hours. I have a 26 minute transmission each morning, M-F (usually, been some days when I don't), on PBS.
          ("Then ask questions with backing, Mr. Lunger. What you have here is inneudos, found on tabloids in the supermarket checkout!"--ArchAngel to a Senator about Airwolf, (w,stte), Airwolf "Santini's Millions")
          Last edited by SnowLeopard; 20 Jul 09,, 18:54.

Comment

Somehow, Robin Meade does not thrill me as anything but entertaining eye candy. I have hard time taking her seriously when she is going off on weekends to sing at this or that affair. Further, other things that makes me doubt HLN is the feedin to the entertainment tonight news and the commercials for Nancy Grace and other nighttime people. That's not news.....that's talking about things to stir up emotions to get ratings.

I consider FOX to be highly unreliable and I'm not really that sure about CNN. What is this SyFy?
            ("Then ask questions with backing, Mr. Lunger. What you have here is inneudos, found on tabloids in the supermarket checkout!"--ArchAngel to a Senator about Airwolf, (w,stte), Airwolf "Santini's Millions")
            *I think Gun nut is refering to the Sci-Fi channel (Science Fiction);)

Comment

Who's Robin Meade?

Don't watch Headline News on prime time. It's trash. I think the non-prime time hours are still decent. Fox and CNN are about the same. You just have to pick out the info from the emotional angle.

SyFy is SciFi's new name.

I don't know why the powers that be decided to change the spelling.

Comment

Robin Meade is the HLN morning anchor from 0500-0900, Eastern.

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                *I think Gun nut is refering to the Sci-Fi channel (Science Fiction);)
                Sci-Fi channel lost me at the turn of the century and I essentially refuse to watch it now. Essentially, it was:

Pop up video comments when you are trying to enjoy the show
                Being overloaded with Enterprise and Stargate shows which I hate.
                It wouldn't be so bad if one wasn't hit with the commercials for those shows constantly.
                Totally inappropriate shows such as wrestling, scare tactics, tripping the rift, and ghost hunters.....to say nothing of the night they showed SVU.
                Shifting away from the classics and animae to shows they make
                Endless lousy movies.
                Yanking around the audience by not showing shows when they say

I use to watch it a lot; now I avoid it like the plague.
                Last edited by SnowLeopard; 20 Jul 09,, 19:03.

Comment

Good looking lady.;)

Comment

Wrestling is fiction...

Tripping the Rift...now there's a show I miss. Chode and his android sex slave...:P

There's anime on Monday nights. I'm not a big anime fan so I switch to either the Simpsons or the Family Guy.

Ghost Hunters is stupid. Ghostbusters is cools.

What's wrong with Stargate SG1? It has some very nice humor worked into the show.

Scare Tactics is dumb. It would be cool if the guy being played on whips out a knife or gun and does some serious damage to the actors. :))

Comment

Huh...never seen Robin Meade before. I guess CNN hired her to compete with Julie Baneras of Fox. I get most of my weekend news from her.

Comment

.........What's wrong with Stargate SG1? It has some very nice humor worked into the show........
                        Two things.

First of it, most of it is boring. Claudia Black's character makes it sort of acceptable, but not much.

Secondly, it's the United States Air Force in the present time and hence, that concept presents a lot of complexities that require for one to suspend belief. X-Files boss incharge of a star ship out there while we still have all the problems we have back here on Earth? The Air Force operating as it does now when it has the biggest thing the planet has ever known? The US government minorly involved so they don't foul up things royally? Etc..

Other shows, they manage to accomplish the separation in one way or another so one does not have what they know in real life trying to contaminate what they are watching. Star Trek is in the future and is not the US military. Torchwood is an individual group. UNIT was foreign and under the UN.

But tell me the Air Force is operating with something like this and is not screwing it up royally, that everything is working perfectly and I can't buy that. Now, I'm not saying that the Air Force is full of screw ups; not at all. But I have been in the military and I know there are always people who want to get in, get their hands in on the good stuff, and often, they screw it up because they don't have a clue of what they are doing.

They are showing me something that is perfect in my world............and I can't buy that.

It's like watching Johnny Quest and expecting the real world to work like that, where a scientist has military troops directly under his control. It's wonderful for a cartoon but we know it is false as the blazes.

Between that, the channel, and how I see the news often, I do not suffer idiots easily.

Comment

Secondly, it's the United States Air Force in the present time and hence, that concept presents a lot of complexities that require for one to suspend belief. X-Files boss incharge of a star ship out there while we still have all the problems we have back here on Earth? The Air Force operating as it does now when it has the biggest thing the planet has ever known? The US government minorly involved so they don't foul up things royally? Etc..

*Guess I didnt tell you about my other job.:)):))

According to my nephew.YouTube - Star Blazers intro (english)

Comment

Two things.

First of it, most of it is boring. Claudia Black's character makes it sort of acceptable, but not much.

Other shows, they manage to accomplish the separation in one way or another so one does not have what they know in real life trying to contaminate what they are watching. Star Trek is in the future and is not the US military. Torchwood is an individual group. UNIT was foreign and under the UN.

But tell me the Air Force is operating with something like this and is not screwing it up royally, that everything is working perfectly and I can't buy that. Now, I'm not saying that the Air Force is full of screw ups; not at all. But I have been in the military and I know there are always people who want to get in, get their hands in on the good stuff, and often, they screw it up because they don't have a clue of what they are doing.

They are showing me something that is perfect in my world............and I can't buy that.

It's like watching Johnny Quest and expecting the real world to work like that, where a scientist has military troops directly under his control. It's wonderful for a cartoon but we know it is false as the blazes.

Between that, the channel, and how I see the news often, I do not suffer idiots easily.
                            Ok, I see the problem. You're watching recent Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis. You should watch SG1 season 1 through 7. They are very good. Give them a try. I think they are available free on Hulu.

Comment

Round 2!

Wrestling is fiction...

Tripping the Rift...now there's a show I miss. Chode and his android sex slave...:P

There's anime on Monday nights. I'm not a big anime fan so I switch to either the Simpsons or the Family Guy.

Ghost Hunters is stupid. Ghostbusters is cools.

What's wrong with Stargate SG1? It has some very nice humor worked into the show.

Scare Tactics is dumb. It would be cool if the guy being played on whips out a knife or gun and does some serious damage to the actors. :))
                              Wrestling may be fiction, but it isn't science fiction. Having it on sci fi and most of the rest of those shows comes across to me as the biker maniaizing of cable tv......or dumbing it up.

Discovery channel use to entertaining to watch; now it's biker garage, mythbusters, and deadliest catch. Quite frankly, beer drinking guy stuff......and boring.

TLC? These days, it's more about houses and living in suburbia than anything else. This is learning?

This isn't educational, this isn't learning, this isn't thinking, this isn't imagination. It's channels betraying what they are, trying to draw in audience members with whatever they can, regardless of the format............and I don't want that. They can do it without my dollar. So I rarely watch them these days.

Treat me like an idiot and expect me to watch whatever they put out, be it entertainment or news? No, thank you.

As far as anime goes on Monday night.....if you say so. I haven't watched the channel for years and remember when there use to be anime movie night each early Sunday morning.....and then it went it away.

Comment

Working...
                              X