Strong earthquake near New Zealand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strong earthquake near New Zealand

South Island quake prompts 'potential tsunami' warning - National - NZ Herald News

South Island quake prompts 'potential tsunami' warning

The US Geological Survey's earthquake tracker shows the magnitude of the South Island quake. Photo / Supplied
    Updated 10:25PM Wednesday Jul 15, 2009

Related links:

* US Geological Survey's earthquake graph
    * Quake info at GeoNet

Did you experience the earthquake?
    Send us your stories, photos and videos

Civil Defence officials concerned by widely varying measurements of a big quake in Fiordland tonight said they were issuing a "potential tsunami" warning in Southland.

"We've had big differences in the measurements of the quake , ranging from 6.6 by GNS Science, to 8.2 by a tsunami warning centre in Hawaii - we're issuing a precautionary message," said an emergency management spokesman in Wellington, Vince Cholewa.

People ran from restaurants in Queenstown as buildings shook, and lights and phone lines went down.

It was felt across the South Island.

Wanaka resident Simon Darby said a rumbling feeling in the ground forced him to run outside of his house.

"It must have lasted about two and half minutes. I lived in Tokyo for three years so I know what large quakes are like. Even though we are maybe 400km from the epicentre this was easily the longest and biggest I have ever felt.

"It wasn't very violent, more of a rolling feel. But it had a power about it - I ran straight outside into the carpark."

Click Here!

Invercargill police Inspector Olaf Jensen said there were no immediate reports of damage in the southern city, but the quake was significant enough to send staff into doorways.

He described it was a strong, rolling quake rather than a sharp jolt.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre in Hawaii issued the warning soon after the quake struck.

The centre said it was not known if a tsunami was generated, but it was issuing the warning based on the earthquake evaluation.

GeoNet's seismic drum readout showed the quake measuring 6.6 on the Richter Scale. Photo / Supplied

"An earthquake of this size has the potential to generate a destructive tsunami that can strike coastlines in the region near the epicentre within minutes to hours," it said.

There are between 10,000 and 15,000 earthquakes in and around New Zealand each year. Most are small, but between 100 and 150 are big enough to be felt, according to GNS Science.

The biggest known quake in New Zealand was the magnitude 8.2 Wairarapa earthquake of 1855.

The biggest New Zealand earthquake since instrumental recording began was the 1931 magnitude 7.8 Hawke's Bay earthquake.

- NZ HERALD STAFF, NZPA
    夫唯不爭,故天下莫能與之爭。

3 News > National > Story > Tsunami warning issued following massive quake

Tsunami warning issued following massive quake

The quake was centred just off the West Coast

Wed, 15 Jul 2009 9:29p.m.

UPDATED: 10:30PM A powerful earthquake has struck the South Island tonight.

The quake struck around 9:22pm this evening and was centred off the West Coast of the South Island.

Geonet is reporting the strength of the quake as 6.6, whilst the US Geological Survey is reporting 7.8 and the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre is reporting 8.2. Reports are coming through the quake could be felt as far away as Wellington and Taranaki in the North Island.

Aftershocks have continued to rock the South Island.

Emails and calls to 3 News have described the quake as large and long-lasting, but causing minimal damage. Power has been knocked out in Queenstown and Southland. A water main in Winton has reportedly been knocked out. The extent of damage is otherwise still unknown.

Wendy London writes: "I felt the earthquake – and a second one or after shock, in Wellington.I’m on the 6th floor of a 2 year old apartment block just off Tory Street, and it was a barely perceptible rolling motion."

Mareike Hachemer writes from Dunedin: "Feels as if the house was a boat. Everything is shaking slightly. Lamps and curtain pieces are shaking."

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre has issued an advisory statement warning of a possible tsunami threat. It is not yet known if a tsunami has been created, but it says waves can be between five minutes and an hour apart, and the initial wave may not be the largest.

If the measure of 7.8 is correct, it will be the largest tremor in New Zealand since the 1931 Hawke's Bay quake.

3 News
    夫唯不爭,故天下莫能與之爭。

Comment

There have been 4 and more expected, I felt it too, the biggest one = 7.8

The following earthquake has been recorded by GNS Science:

Reference number: 3124785/G
      Universal Time: 15 July 2009 at 09:22
      NZ Standard Time: Wednesday, 15 July 2009 at 9:22 pm
      Latitude, Longitude: 45.78°S, 166.68°E
      Focal depth: 5 km
      Richter magnitude: 6.6

Reference number: 3124792/G
      Universal Time: 15 July 2009 at 09:41
      NZ Standard Time: Wednesday, 15 July 2009 at 9:41 pm
      Latitude, Longitude: 46.17°S, 165.79°E
      Richter magnitude: 6.1

Reference number: 3124785/G
      Universal Time: 15 July 2009 at 09:22
      NZ Standard Time: Wednesday, 15 July 2009 at 9:22 pm
      Latitude, Longitude: 45.75°S, 166.58°E
      Focal depth: 12 km
      Moment magnitude: 7.8

Reference number: 3124869/G
      Universal Time: 15 July 2009 at 13:50
      NZ Standard Time: Thursday, 16 July 2009 at 1:50 am
      Latitude, Longitude: 45.40°S, 166.50°E
      Richter magnitude: 5.9

Web page: GeoNet – New Zealand Earthquake Report - Jul 16 2009 at 1:50 am (NZST)

Comment

Ah yes, the earth moved for me.... CA, we had one sharpish jolt, what did you get?
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Just a little shaking (thought it was the wife getting frisky), glad it wasn't in Wellington, it would be flat now with a quake that size.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
            Just a little shaking (thought it was the wife getting frisky), glad it wasn't in Wellington, it would be flat now with a quake that size.
            I think residential dwellings will do ok except on slip zones but the CBD will be toast. I just hope I'm not walking down Lambton Quay when it hits

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
              I think residential dwellings will do ok except on slip zones but the CBD will be toast. I just hope I'm not walking down Lambton Quay when it hits
              Or going over the Rimutaka also.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
                Or going over the Rimutaka also.
                I suspect my old bulldozer driving skills may come in useful in the weeks afterward.
                My biggest concern is I work in Petone but live in Wellington. It's going to be a long trip back into town to get to my family...

Leibniz

Comment

Any updates on the Quake guys? I hope all is well and the damage is minimal.

Comment

All is indeed well as far as people go. The landscape has taken a bit of a beating but when it looks like this, who's going to notice a rockfall or two

Leibniz

Comment

Apparently some fishermen moored in the sounds had a merry old time when most of the water in the fiord decided to rush out all at once but hey, thats why they're paid the big money

Leibniz

Comment

After shocks still coming in as we speak, Te Anau is getting a few (Not far from Milford Sound).

Comment

Working...
                        X