New website for USS Iowa preservation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New website for USS Iowa preservation

A new updated web sight calling for donations for preservation of USS Iowa.

"HELP SAVE USS IOWA"

Save the USS Iowa - Help Preserve the Battleship USS Iowa

Sponsors:

Former President George H.W. Bush has agreed to serve as the Honorary Chairman of our efforts to save the USS Iowa.

Author Tom Clancy has agreed to serve as Honorary Campaign Chair.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

I wonder if Iowa will go the way of Des Moines.

It's a shame that Shipwreck isn't around to give a 5 post response in the affirmative.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Personally TH, I dont think that will happen, but if it were to then shopping sprees abound for the other three in museum status. Far to many good spares, replacements and other fixtures to waste. It would be a true shame to see such a proud ship wasted due to political posturing and I doubt those with a vested interest in the ship would allow San Fran to ever forget it. Particularly when they wanted the one of the ships in the first place due to their own economy. Hipicrits! I wonder if they can remeber this?
      Attached Files

Comment

I hope they succeed. Would be nice to take my son back to the ship that I spent 4 very important years of my life on.

Comment

Dunno. A San Francisco City Supervisor went on a talk show vehemently saying he does not want that ship anywhere NEAR San Francisco.

Why? the moderator asked.

He answered, "Because it's a weapon of war."

Gee Whiz. I didn't know that. Did you?

I recall being up there when the Missouri was recommissioned. Outside the chain link fence and well guarded by Police Officers were hundreds of anti-Navy protestors calling us war mongers and baby killers. My wife started argueing with them saying they should live in a communist country and learn what freedom really is. She spoke only with a touch of her Hungarian accent.

The Police Officer on "sentry" duty there just smiled and gave us a wink.

The Missouri was to be home ported in the San Francisco area. Then the city said no. So she wound up being home ported in Long Beach as there would be too much descension between Navy people and anti-American people there.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Such a shame! I'm an Aussie, I have no ties to this ship, I never served on her, I never saw her in person.

But when I look at images of her sitting moored in the reserve fleet at Suisun Bay I get a sinking feeling in my stomach that knots itself around the terrible injustice that's been done to this ship.

As I said, I have no ties to this vessel, but what this ship help accomplish for the US, it's allies and the world over during a time where she was needed most, changed the world and to have the exact same people now turn away from her at a time where she needs them most is possibly the biggest military injustice I've witnessed on any war veteran in history.

We live in a world that preserves our hero's and our leaders, not a world that casts them aside once their great duties are completed. We preserve the after lives of our presidents and prime ministers, yet we're willing to turn our backs on the presidents and prime minsters of the ocean. Everything that is ideal in our lives today was fought for in a time that was dark and grim, yet these structural giants and their crews constantly put everything at stake to preserve and protect the exact freedom we enjoy today.

Money will always be, and it says Ą € $

Save her.
            Last edited by Timcav; 15 Jul 09,, 00:15.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
              Dunno. A San Francisco City Supervisor went on a talk show vehemently saying he does not want that ship anywhere NEAR San Francisco.

Why? the moderator asked.

He answered, "Because it's a weapon of war."

Gee Whiz. I didn't know that. Did you?

I recall being up there when the Missouri was recommissioned. Outside the chain link fence and well guarded by Police Officers were hundreds of anti-Navy protestors calling us war mongers and baby killers. My wife started argueing with them saying they should live in a communist country and learn what freedom really is. She spoke only with a touch of her Hungarian accent.

The Police Officer on "sentry" duty there just smiled and gave us a wink.

The Missouri was to be home ported in the San Francisco area. Then the city said no. So she wound up being home ported in Long Beach as there would be too much descension between Navy people and anti-American people there.

I was on the Iowa when some protestors who were part of a tour group, broke off and attacked the Tomahawk launchers. They tried to cut some cables, and spray painted the launchers. Of course, we had already offloaded all the T-hawks, and the only people they hurt were the Weapons department seamen who had to repaint the area.

Comment

I'd like to see the Iowa in New York next to the Intrepid, but thats mainly because I'm greedy, because she was built here and because my grandfather worked on her at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. Still though, living in NY I have 2 of the Iowa's and the Massachusetts in half a days drive, plus the Slater so I shouldnt complain. Given that SF doesnt want her, I would think she would do well in LA, San Diego or Seattle.

I doubt she would be put up for scrap, but it's always a possibility. There's a lot of metal there and the government always seems to make a dollar for the taxpayers in the wrong way...
                You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Rumrunner, don't forget that if you have access to NAVSTA Newport, RI, you can also see the Saratoga (CV-60) and the Forrestal (CV-59). I highly recommend taking trip to check them out and snap some pictures...You can get in very close on the pier.
                  Trust, but verify.

Comment

Damn I wish I could afford the Iowa, lob a few shells towards San Francisco, lol.
                    "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
                    -General George Patton Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan_Guy View Post
                      Damn I wish I could afford the Iowa, lob a few shells towards San Francisco, lol.
                      More like 10 Full Broadsides of 15 guns from dead center harbor.:))

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                        More like 10 Full Broadsides of 15 guns from dead center harbor.:))
                        Sounds more like it :)
                        "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
                        -General George Patton Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

It's a shame that Shipwreck isn't around to give a 5 post response in the affirmative.
                          how would they get it up there ??? many years back they considered bringing the Missouri to Independence mo.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny W View Post
                            I was on the Iowa when some protestors who were part of a tour group, broke off and attacked the Tomahawk launchers. They tried to cut some cables, and spray painted the launchers. Of course, we had already offloaded all the T-hawks, and the only people they hurt were the Weapons department seamen who had to repaint the area.
                            I was on duty that day. I followed the Marines up when they when up to "retrieve" them, the one idiot with the hatchet almost ended up in a body bag that day. They did do some serious damage to the one launcher. Just remember that one was an excommunicated nun.

Comment

Previous posts: Originally Posted by TopHatter

how would they get it up there ??? many years back they considered bringing the Missouri to Independence mo.

I was at the Orange County Gun Show yesterday. Six pavilions, each could hold a Boeing 747. My feet are still sore. But on the way out was a display pavilion of WW II reinactors. So I went over there to talk to them and look over their equipment. One reinactor was Japanese in a full Japanese infrantrymen's uniform, Arisaka and all.

Anyway, one of the older ones noticed my USS IOWA hat and asked about her. I went through the usual update that we got her out of the reserve fleet last month and I rode her down from Benicia to Richmond where she will spend the winter months until the Navy decides the California coast is safe enough for her tow.

Believe it or not, one of the oldsters there (representing the 101st Airborne) was from Iowa and asked why we weren't going to tow her up the Mississippi River to the state of Iowa.

And he was serious.

I just answered that there are too many twists and turns in the Mississippi (besides a few dams and low bridges) to do that and she will be on permanent display in San Pedro.

Hopefully that guy wasn't in a Recon outfit and called in grid coordinates for some artillery.

Anyway, it was an interesting show and the first time I walked out of one with more money than I came in with (sold a couple of bayonets for 60 bucks).
                              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Working...
                              X