Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pak offers US deal with Taliban if it reins in India

Pak offers US deal with Taliban if it reins in India

Pakistan's military has offered to play a broker between the US and the Taliban, but in return it wants concessions from Washington over Islamabad's concerns with India
    But Abbas told the channel that in return for any role as a broker between the US and the Taliban, Pakistan wants concessions from Washington over Islamabad's concerns with longtime rival India.

If the article is not simply a floater, it would be a very interesting exercise if only just to see what concessions/concerns the Pakistanis are looking at and what level of influence they truly wield on the Taliban.

Comment

This just reinforces the level of involvement of the PA with the Taliban. The only rider is the veracity of the news.

Till the time there is a distinction between Good Taliban and Bad Taliban in Pakistan, I do not see a sloution in sight in the near future. Even the media is following this line

Were the military to take action against Hafiz Gul Bahadur in North Waziristan and, in response to a provocation, start fighting Maulvi Nazeer in Wana and Shakai in South Waziristan as well, the concept of ‘good Taliban’ and ‘bad Taliban’ would be consigned to the dustbin, at least for the time-being. These two Pakistani Taliban commanders were, until now, regarded as the ‘good Taliban’ because they were reluctant to fight the Pakistani security forces or sponsor suicide bombings and were, instead, focusing more on assisting the Afghan Taliban in resisting the US-led foreign forces in Afghanistan. In contrast, Baitullah Mehsud and his allies in the tribal areas, Swat and elsewhere, and those affiliated to the TTP, were referred to as the ‘bad Taliban.’ Once this distinction ends, the military will be free to target all militants, wherever they exist. The battlelines will then be clearly drawn. However, this would also unify all the militants and the disparate jihadi groups, turning them into a formidable enemy.
      http://www.newsline.com.pk/NewsJul20...atjuly2009.htm
      Last edited by sumob; 13 Jul 09,, 11:41. Reason: Incomplete Post

Comment

*IMO,It would simply be the dumbest move Washington could possibly make.Period.
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Groan...

Is this about those embassies again?
          "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

I do believe this offer was refused. It was stated that there will be peace when the Taliban cuts ties with Al-qaeda and disarms, and that that has always been an option. I apoligize that I don't have the article I saw it at, they seem to have disappeared from the headlines.

Comment

It seems as though Pak is in well with the Taliban and wants to offer a deal to the US if the US reels in India. A few problems with this.

1) Taliban were responsible in part to 9-11. Why in the hell would we want to bargain with them over anything including their total and complete destruction.

2) India, IMO has every right in the world to punish Pakistan for the attacks that were focused upon them from insurgents getting either help from Pak intelligence services or being able to train in Pak, cross the border and attack India.

3) We give aid to Pak to fight insurgents and we want India to be our friends.

IMO,Guess who is on the loosing end of that debate. Pakistan.
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

I am having a hard time buying that article and found nothing creditable to back it up.
                “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by xinhui View Post
                  I am having a hard time buying that article and found nothing creditable to back it up.

I believe it was all started by CNN after this interview between Michael Ware and Pak Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas

# Story Highlights
                  # Pakistan military official claims talks possible between U.S. and Taliban
                  # Spokesman for country strongly denies initial report
                  # Pakistan wants U.S. concessions over Islamabad's dealings with India in return
                  # Senior U.S. officials say Obama administration willing to talk to Taliban

Comment

Then hear it from the horses mouth itself:

The biggest Taliban monkey there is General Hamid Gul, the former ISI director, and he has very strong ties with the Taliban, including Mullah Omar, and it is not something which he tries to hide. The gateway to all these monkeys is this man, and all they have to do is hang him upside down until he spills all the beans, but no; the man receives royal treatment wherever he goes because of his close ties to both the Talibunnies and the Pakistani military establishment.
                    Last edited by Tronic; 13 Jul 09,, 19:22.
                    Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                    -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

CNN’s claim baseless: ISPR

The good general was "quoted out of context" ... ;)

Comment

I am not talking about a retired general who puts his foot into his mouth infront of CNN. I was referring to official Pakistan government policy.

His relationship with Ummah Tameer-e-Nau is well known and I will not believe US government will deal with some one is on the international terror list.
                        “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

I am not talking about a retired general who puts his foot into his mouth infront of CNN. I was referring to official Pakistan government policy.

His relationship with Ummah Tameer-e-Nau is well known and I will not believe US government will deal with some one is on the international terror list.
                          Its not just Hamid Gul.
                          Gen Abbas, who is the official spokesman of the Pakistan Army, refers to this while winding up his interview with Ware

Ware: General, I am getting the wind-up from your aide, just one last question. We saw great success in the Iraq theatre, where America engaged the insurgents it was fighting against and eventually put 103,000 Sunni insurgents on the American payroll that assisted them in their fight against al Qaeda, and it assisted America in its challenge to curb Iranian influence. Is there room for such negotiation here? In the Afghan-Pakistan theatre? Can America negotiate with the groups it's currently fighting with?

Abbas: Certainly -- I think that you can't use one formula in dealing with various groups. This is not a monolithic organization. How we look at Pakistani-Taliban is not a monolithic organization.

Ware: And how you look at Afghan-Taliban is totally different.

Abbas: Absolutely, they are totally different.

Ware: But can America talk to these groups? Can America... is part of the solution, America negotiating with these forces?

Abbas: There are reconcilable elements in these whole, in this whole Taliban groups etc. and one has to identify those and they are reconcilable and when there is no harm in negotiating...opening a negotiation with them.

Ware: Just a dialogue.

Abbas: That's right, dialogue. Eventually one would have to return to the dialogue table.

Ware: And that's where Pakistan can perhaps provide valuable assistance to the American mission.

Abbas: I think yes that can be worked out, that's possible.
                          Two things emerge from the general's viewpoint:
                          1. Pakistani Taliban are different from Afghanistani Taliban
                          2. Pakistan may be able to facilitate a dialogue between the US and the Afghanistani Taliban

I am not sure exactly what ISPR is disputing. If they are trying to say that Gen. Abbas did not say anything like that, well, its caught on tape. If they are saying that they have not asked US to put the pinch on India as a price for this cooperations, I think they have a point, since neither Gul nor Abbas say that specifically in thisinterview. Although I believe Pakistan has expressed that particular thought before this
                          "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Pak state govt decides to withdraw appeal against Saeed - Pakistan - World - NEWS - The Times of India

The Punjab government on Tuesday informed Pakistan's Supreme Court that it wanted to withdraw its petition challenging a lower court's order that released Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Mohammad Saeed from detention, saying it did not have adequate evidence against him
                            He also said federal authorities had not shared any proof against the JuD leader with the Punjab government.
                            This is slowly becoming one big joke. I guess expecting Paksitan to actually act against terrorism is too much to ask for ?
                            Last edited by axeman; 14 Jul 09,, 13:43.

Comment

Working...
                            X