Armed Forces Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armed Forces Day

Thousands of people across the world are paying tribute to the UK's past, present and future military personnel in the first ever Armed Forces Day, today, Saturday 27 June 2009.

Hundreds of events are taking place in many different communities around the world from London to Afghanistan and Edinburgh to Gibraltar.

Almost 200 events are happening across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland alone, while military bases where UK Service personnel are deployed across the world are celebrating in their own ways.

More than 30,000 members of the public, who want to show their support for Service personnel and veterans, are expected at the main national event taking place at Chatham's Historic Dockyard in Kent.

The celebration is featuring a military parade, a flypast by the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and the Red Arrows, as well as presentations and interactive displays from the Royal Navy, the Army, and the Royal Air Force.

Thousands more people are expected to attend other events in places including Cardiff, Blackpool, Nottingham, Southend, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Manchester and Plymouth.

Defence Secretary Bob Ainsworth is spending Armed Forces Day with troops in Afghanistan. He said:

"Every day the men and women of our Armed Forces are risking their lives for the defence of our country. They are the guardians of our security and our values.

"Armed Forces Day on the 27th June is an opportunity for us all to recognise their commitment, their courage, and their sacrifice. On this day there is no other place that I would rather be than here, amongst our servicemen and women on operations.

"It is also an opportunity to thank the thousands of veterans who have played so fundamental a role in protecting our country's freedom. And it is a chance to think about the families who support our brave men and women all year round.

"I sincerely hope that people across the UK will join in the events taking place today, and honour our Service personnel - past, present and future."

Chief of the Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup, who is attending the national event in Chatham, said:

"The many events that are taking place today and the enthusiasm the British public has shown for Armed Forces Day mean a great deal to those in the military family.

"It is important for them to know that the Armed Forces are at the heart of national life, and that they enjoy the respect and appreciation of the people that they serve."

Two of the most high profile Service personnel of recent years are His Royal Highness Prince William of Wales and HRH Prince Henry of Wales, who also paid tribute to the UK's Armed Forces today saying:

"Armed Forces Day is a celebration of our fighting men and women and the immeasurable contribution they make to our lives and to the reputation of this country. "Through centuries of service to the nation, the members of our Armed Forces have established a record unequalled in the world. They work selflessly with honour and distinction, in the most challenging circumstances imaginable. As serving officers, we have the privilege of witnessing the living traditions, the courage and the professionalism at first hand.

"It is humbling for us to be associated, in a minor way, with something quite so exceptional.

"This day also recognises the wider family: the veterans, young and old; the many volunteers who support the Cadet Forces so tirelessly; and - of paramount importance and sometimes forgotten - the families and friends whose care and support enables such excellence.

"We are both so delighted to support this Armed Forces Day."

In the week leading up to Armed Forces Day, many events were held across the country including the first ever tri-Service Reservists Wear Your Uniform to Work Day and a historic march of troops across Tower Bridge in London.
    Ministry of Defence | Defence News | History and Honour | Thousands gather for first Armed Forces Day

It is nice to see the support from the Public for the Forces, past and present.

Anyone been to any of the events? I took part in a few earlier in the week and it was good to see all the support from the public, even if they don't support the mission they support the men and women that wear uniform.
    Last edited by Shiny Capstar; 27 Jun 09,, 16:25.
    Nulli Secundus
    People always talk of dying for their country, and never of making the other bastard die for his

My lot are doing a 24hour gym session, adding up all the miles people run, row or cycle and trying to get a total, along with many other teams, that would reach to Afghan.

Loads of fun so far and a really good feeling going round the camp.

Comment

I note the morons in Glasgow had to marre the celebrations , well guess what bogtrotters ,, fuk off back to bogville and take celtic with you .WANKERS
      Last edited by tankie; 27 Jun 09,, 19:41.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
        I note the morons in Glasgow had to marre the celebrations , well guess what bogtrotters ,, fuk off back to bogville and take celtic with you .WANKERS
        Actually there a fair few Weegees who for some daft reason think that being Catholic means they have some claim to be Irish Republicans, I had the dubious pleasure of running into one in a pub in Brighton a while back. He claimed to know all about then troubles and the apparent systematic genocide the British Army perpetrated there, in spite of his having never been to any part of Ireland whatsoever. Attention-seeking stupidity of such magnitude should merely be laughed off.

Also, I had the pleasure of being soaked to the bone as part of the Birmingham parade, the experience would have been diminished if it weren't for the presense of a largely stunning troop from the Queen Alexandria's Royal Army Nursing Corps. I defintely picked the wrong job...

Comment

I should also add it was a pleasure to recieve a very friendly response from a lot of Birmingham's immigrant communities while we were there, I think all the negative press is stirring the silent majority of whom to come out and set the record straight about whose side they're on.

Chavs of all races however took to trying to slag us as they seem to regard themselves as the "real soldiers", again many lulz were had.

Comment

Colors at the Local VFW.:)
            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by -{SpoonmaN}- View Post
              stunning troop from the Queen Alexandria's Royal Army Nursing Corps. I defintely picked the wrong job...
              I can't quite picture you in a nurses uniform...male or female:))

Comment

Thank you very much, Mr Lukins for putting that picture in my head.

Spoonman at Chez Mado!

AAAARGGGHHHH!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by -{spoonman}- View Post
                  i should also add it was a pleasure to recieve a very friendly response from a lot of birmingham's immigrant communities while we were there, i think all the negative press is stirring the silent majority of whom to come out and set the record straight about whose side they're on.
                  good for them ;)

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                    Shudda knocked the C*nts oot!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                      Thank you very much, Mr Lukins for putting that picture in my head.

Spoonman at Chez Mado!

AAAARGGGHHHH!!!!!!
                      The nightmares are slowly going..another month should see me through it:))

Comment

Working...
                      X