• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Jackson dead at age 50

Newspaper reports pop star wasn’t breathing when ambulance arrived

msnbc.com staff and news service reports
    updated 4 minutes ago

The Los Angeles Times reports that Michael Jackson has died at age 50 after being rushed to UCLA Medical Center.

Los Angeles Fire Department Capt. Steve Ruda told the newspaper that Jackson was not breathing when paramedics arrived at his home and CPR was performed.

TMZ.com reported that he may have suffered cardiac arrest.

Jackson had been due to start a series of comeback concerts in London on July 13 running until March 2010. The singer, whose hits included “Thriller” and “Billie Jean,” had been rehearsing in the Los Angeles area for the past two months.

The shows for the 50 London concerts sold out within minutes of going on sale in March.

His lifetime record sales tally is believed to be around 750 million, which, added to the 13 Grammy Awards he received, makes him one of the most successful entertainers of all time.

He lived as a virtual recluse since his acquittal in 2005 on charges of child molestation.

There were concerns about Jackson’s health in recent years but the promoters of the London shows, AEG Live, said in March that Jackson had passed a 4-1/2 hour physical examination with independent doctors.

A life in music
    Jackson was born on August 29, 1958, in Gary, Indiana, the seventh of nine children. Five Jackson boys — Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, Marlon and Michael — first performed together at a talent show when Michael was 6. They walked off with first prize and went on to become a best-selling band, The Jackson Five, and then The Jackson 5.

Jackson made his first solo album in 1972, and released “Thriller” in 1982, which became a smash hit that yielded seven top-10 singles. The album sold 21 million copies in the United States and at least 27 million worldwide.

The next year, he unveiled his signature “moonwalk” dance move while performing “Billie Jean” during an NBC special.

In 1994, Jackson married Elvis Presley’s only child, Lisa Marie, but the marriage ended in divorce in 1996. Jackson married Debbie Rowe the same year and had two children, before splitting in 1999. The couple never lived together.

Jackson has three children named Prince Michael I, Paris Michael and Prince Michael II, known for his brief public appearance when his father held him over the railing of a hotel balcony, causing widespread criticism.

Check back with msnbc.com for updates on this breaking story.
    © 2009 msnbc.com
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31552029?gt1=43001
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

It's on the BBC as we speak...that's another showbiz shock

Comment

The king is dead...long live the king.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

R.I.P... Godbless

Comment

Very sad.

R.I.P Michael.

Comment

I heard it on the news today when I got home from work. RIP Michael!!!
            “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
            "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
            sigpic

Comment

R.I.P.

The whole 1980s would be different without him.
              夫唯不爭,故天下莫能與之爭。

Comment

A great Artist died. R.I.P, Michael.

Comment

So many BAD puns to make.....

see what I did there? I think I'll just Beat It. Coat please. My taxi's arrived.

Comment

Yeah, that sucks he died, but the normal news cycle will be all F***** up. That will not make me happy.
                    America doesn't deserve its military

-Emma Sky

Comment

He was madder than a box of frogs but still made some good music.
                      RIP
                      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

That's two! .......................... who is going to be #3? They come in 3's, doncha know?

Comment

Heard it on the radio on the way to office.

Shocking news, loved his music

RIP MJ

Comment

The bad taste jokes have already started where I'm at.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SnowLeopard View Post
                              That's two! .......................... who is going to be #3? They come in 3's, doncha know?
                              There were actually 4 that died in the month of June. David Carradine, 6/3/09; Ed McMahon 6/23/09; and then Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson!
                              “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
                              "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X