Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone help me explain why the Nanking Massacre happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone help me explain why the Nanking Massacre happened?

Everything I researched about this even only talks about what happened, and not "why" it happened. Does anyone have any clue why the Japanese done such atrocities?

10+ years in China with your friends getting their throats slit every night and no end in sight to the fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
      10+ years in China with your friends getting their throats slit every night and no end in sight to the fighting.
      Well, they could have just went home. Or better yet, never invaded in the first place. :)

Agree with what you said, but I think you have to throw in racist beliefs, and Japanese attitudes towards surrender as well.
      Last edited by Johnny W; 22 Jun 09,, 18:42.

Comment

Wasn't there also a desire by IJA command to terrorize the Chinese into nonresistance?

Comment

The Japanese didn't have a high opinion of non-Japanese. Viewed them as animals, that kind of thing. They were not nice people.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
            Those kind of things can not happen,without approvel of high command i think.Dont think soldiers acted on their own...

Comment

High command don't issue orders to bayonet babies while raping their mothers.

Comment

As Wiki says, some authors record that Prince Asaka Yasuhiko allegedly issued an order to "kill all captives," thus providing official sanction for the crimes which took place during and after the battle.

There was little reaction about Nanking until after the war & only a few were brought to justice for it, Asaka who was the ranking officer in the city at the height of the atrocities, was granted immunity because of the pact concluded between General MacArthur and Hirohito, & his status as a member of the imperial family.

The cause of it was probably just what has always plagued mankind from all over the world since the year dot-racism.

Just like the German 'master race', the Japanese thought they were a superior race & they could do anything they liked with the Chinese [& just about everyone else] & murders, rapes, and looting were common place throughout the campaign, even to the extent of live human experiments at the hell hole of unit 731, [MacArthur secretly granted immunity to the physicians of Unit 731 including the commander of Unit 731, Shiro Ishii, one of the worst criminals of WW2, in exchange for providing America with their research on biological warfare.]

I've seen old Japanese veterans being interviewed on the History channel, laughing & joking about how normal it was to rape & murder when they were in China.

Comment

I think pretty brutal racism had a big part

Comment

Working...
                  X