Two cast in 'Red Dawn' remake

Two cast in 'Red Dawn' remake
    Josh Peck, Adrianne Palicki join Chris Hemsworth

By Jay A. Fernandez and Borys Kit

June 16, 2009, 07:40 PM ET
    hr/photos/stylus/88824-palicki_peck_341x182.jpg

Adrianne Palicki and Josh Peck
    The Wolverines are gathering.

Josh Peck and Adrianne Palicki have been cast in MGM/UA's remake of "Red Dawn," set to begin filming in September. They join the already cast Chris Hemsworth in the story of a group of teenagers who form an impromptu insurgency when their town is invaded by Chinese and Russian soldiers.

Peck will play Matt Eckert -- the role originated by Charlie Sheen -- the hotheaded younger brother of Hemsworth's Jed Eckert and star quarterback of their Spokane high school football team. Palicki will play Toni, the role first inhabited by Jennifer Grey. She's a tough fighter the brothers encounter who develops romantic feelings for Jed, a Marine home on leave and the group's unofficial leader.

Dan Bradley, a stunt coordinator and second-unit director on "The Bourne Ultimatum" and "Quantum of Solace," will direct the revamp based on the 1984 Cold War-era film co-written and directed by John Milius. Carl Ellsworth and Jeremy Passmore penned the updated screenplay.

Contrafilm's Beau Flynn and Tripp Vinson are producing, and Vince Newman is executive producing. The film is scheduled to hit theaters Sept. 24, 2010.

Peck, who is repped by UTA and the Collective, most recently appeared in "The Wackness," "Drillbit Taylor" and "What Goes Up." He again has provided the voice of Eddie in the animated sequel "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs," which Fox releases July 1.

Palicki, repped by UTA and Anonymous Content, co-stars on "Friday Night Lights." She next appears in the Screen Gems thriller "Legion" in January.
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Awesome!!!

But wait...we won already...

Maybe this time it's a Chinese invasion rather than a Soviet invasion.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

that'll be even funnier than the original, then. if the chinese can't invade an island 90 miles offshore...
      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Oh dear god...somebody tell me this is a silly hoax?
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
          What are the odds we would be so lucky?
          Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

Comment

Oh My Lao Tze; first the Red Dawn remake, then they are playing "Chess" tonight on PBS, two of my favorite cold war propaganda, only they would show Rambo II, then my day will be complete.
            “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
              If only :(

Apparently they are also looking to remake 'Footloose' with daughter of Billy Ray 'Cyrus the Virus' in the female lead. AAAAHHHH!!

xinhui

Oh My Lao Tze; first the Red Dawn remake, then they are playing "Chess" tonight on PBS, two of my favorite cold war propaganda, only they would show Rambo II, then my day will be complete.
              What, not a 'Rocky 4' fan? :))
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Don't care much for "Adrian!"

The greatest 80s propaganda icon is of course the Smurf; Papa Smurf was once quoted "From each according to his abilities, to each according ..."

Comment

Y'all don't appreciate a good fantasy movie when you see one. I bet you guys like crap like Lord of the Rings or something.
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                    Y'all don't appreciate a good fantasy movie when you see one. I bet you guys like crap like Lord of the Rings or something.
                    A good FANTASY movie?

The screen writers have run out of ideas and are remaking older movies. But the remakes are pitifully lacking in story, setting and talent.

The original "Red Dawn" was done very well and very accurately. I have met the USMC officer that was the technical advisor for proper uniforms, weapons, etc. and also being the only "Russian" paratrooper that got snagged up in a tree.

Also using stars already fairly well known and the timing of the era was correct in going from Cold War to Hot War.

Even movies of past TV shows are horrilby done. I disliked "Lost in Space" tremendously though there were a couple of humrous moments in it. "Get Smart" Agent 86 is Don Adams. He had the look, the voice, the timing, etc. Nobody else can even equal him.

Even Sandra Bullock has been had by two remakes of her own original films such as Speed and Miss Congeniality.

Only "A Christmas Carol" has had one decent remake and that was the one starring George C. Scott.

So, generally speaking, I won't waste my time and money on any remake.
                    Last edited by RustyBattleship; 18 Jun 09,, 18:54.
                    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

RB,

didn't you blow money on Star Trek?
                      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by xinhui View Post
                        I watched Chess last night and was it me or did Josh Groban look like he had a stick up his butt the whole night?

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                          RB,

didn't you blow money on Star Trek?
                          Actually I waited until they came out on DVD and our daughter would buy it. Then I watched it.

I did go see the first 3 Star Wars movies. But after seeing the trailers and promotions of the last 3 I was not interested in paying money for a CGI cartoon.
                          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Hey Rusty,
                            What about the Muppets remake of "A Christmas Carol"?
                            I watched that every year for almost a decade with my kids (when they were of age) and grew to like it. No grandkids yet, but someday I'm sure I'll be watching it again.
                            looking

Comment

I think it's great. If nothing else perhaps it will spark interest in the original.

'...their town invaded by CHINESE and RUSSIAN soldiers?'

If I recall correctly in the original version it was South/Central Americans (Cubans?) and Russians, perhaps a bit more believeable, but now we are expected to suspend disbelief for the Chinese and the Russians teaming up? I don't know... sounds a little more far-fetched than the original premise...

The original was a little bit scary at the time because it was concievable that something like that could happen, you wouldn't have to go to a parralell dimension too far away...

This new one sounds like it might be set in Bizzarro world...

Comment

Working...
                              X