Fish Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish Stories

I know some people wont class angling as a sport ,, i certainly do , but im keen to know about the rod caught catches from WAB members around the world ! How ,where , what .

My biggest freshwater fish was a 22k catfish , and the largest seafish was a mere 8 pound ling beat that then , its a great sport ,especially fly fishing , for wily brown trout , or even small dace or roach ,,and i wish i could still take part .:(
    Last edited by tankie; 17 Apr 09,, 19:29.

Trout fishing. I have thrashed the water in the company of my more fanatical friends many times, and caught precisely one undersized trout.
    Sea fishing, kawai, snapper, salmon at the river mouth, cod, trevally etc etc. Damned if I know what the largest fish I've caught is but it would have to be over 20kg. my current rod is a 15 foot surfcaster with a Penn reel which I used for the first time the other day.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
      Trout fishing. I have thrashed the water in the company of my more fanatical friends many times, and caught precisely one undersized trout.
      Sea fishing, kawai, snapper, salmon at the river mouth, cod, trevally etc etc. Damned if I know what the largest fish I've caught is but it would have to be over 20kg. my current rod is a 15 foot surfcaster with a Penn reel which I used for the first time the other day.

Is that a penn multiplier Iian ?? i have heard that the trout fishing in N/Z is as good as the cod fishing in Norway , as is the salmon and sea trout , must admit ,i have had blanks as well , too bloody many i recall , but that was mainly off my boat in the North sea , which i sold , as the lack of fish didnt make it worthwhile ,,shame :( did you fly fish for the trout ??? A tip , buy a small spinning rod and try a 00 mepp spoon with a link swivel about 15 inches above the spoon , stops kinks ,, method is cast upstream and spinfast downstream in shallow tipply tumbling water , its always worked for me , and when you go home with a creel full o fish , ya can tell everyone you have sussed it out and then tell em about the BIG ones that got away ;)
      Last edited by tankie; 17 Apr 09,, 20:43.

Comment

My biggest fish ever was a 65lb blue shark. Tour out of Boston, can't remember the rod or reel but a 100 pound test with horse meat as bait. Took 40-50 minutes to land it ... or rather get it close enough to be shot by a 410 guage. My forearms triple in size and weak as a baby.

But that's not the most memorable part. During the day, we were hooking bull sharks and they jump. My buddy hooked one and it jumped into the boat ... and we jumped out of the boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
          My biggest fish ever was a 65lb blue shark. Tour out of Boston, can't remember the rod or reel but a 100 pound test with horse meat as bait. Took 40-50 minutes to land it ... or rather get it close enough to be shot by a 410 guage. My forearms triple in size and weak as a baby.

But that's not the most memorable part. During the day, we were hooking bull sharks and they jump. My buddy hooked one and it jumped into the boat ... and we jumped out of the boat.
          :)):)) what , this from a Colonel of engineers ,, why didnt you rig up a latrine hole for it :)):))

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
            Is that a penn multiplier Iian ??
            Nah it's an accord mate. I thought it was a bit light for the rod but I was getting beautiful casts out of the combination. Yet to pull anything in on it of course so we'll see, but I have high hopes that I can do some kickass casting of the south Wairarapa coast this autumn. I need minimum 60 metres throw and this will do that with ease.
            The trout fishing I did was all fly, lovely exercise but I never caught a damn thing. Where I grew up was close to the Waitaki and right on the coast so all my fishing involved surfcasting, boat and river fishing for salmon all of which we used various different spinning rods for.

Leibniz

Comment

:)):)) what , this from a Colonel of engineers ,, why didnt you rig up a latrine hole for it :)):))
              Yeah, it was one of those oh sh!t moments when you realized that you jumped into shark infested waters that you've intentionally filled with bait.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                Yeah, it was one of those oh sh!t moments when you realized that you jumped into shark infested waters that you've intentionally filled with bait.
                bull sharks are renowned for human deaths as well , they actually swim up rivers and feed there ? but c,mon Col , jumping into their territory is a bit off ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, even for an engineer , :P

a tankie would have wrestled it to death , a reeeeeeeaaal proper tankie that is, and made suchi out of it

Hey Pari , i will send you some pics of fish i have caught , and ooooooohhhhhh yea , do ya wanna see my trophies :P
                Last edited by tankie; 18 Apr 09,, 09:43.

Comment

Nah it's an accord mate. I thought it was a bit light for the rod but I was getting beautiful casts out of the combination. Yet to pull anything in on it of course so we'll see, but I have high hopes that I can do some kickass casting of the south Wairarapa coast this autumn. I need minimum 60 metres throw and this will do that with ease.
                  The trout fishing I did was all fly, lovely exercise but I never caught a damn thing. Where I grew up was close to the Waitaki and right on the coast so all my fishing involved surfcasting, boat and river fishing for salmon all of which we used various different spinning rods for.
                  All this for one undersized trout ,, i bet you ate it as well :))

Comment

All this for one undersized trout ,, i bet you ate it as well :))
                    It did accidentally manage to fall into the fire just long enough to get tasty... Funny how that happens

Leibniz

Comment

It did accidentally manage to fall into the fire just long enough to get tasty... Funny how that happens
                      they seem to taste better younger ones dont they , a bit like veal , ;)

Comment

Fish Stories

All right ladies and gentlemen,I'm a person who loves to hear big(or small) fish stories with all the details(what kind of gear,what bait,weather conditions,whether you had to put up with tankie peeing off the back of the boat and polluting the local fishery...etc.;)) and pictures to back up yer stories if ya have 'em.

Let's have 'em all...the good,the bad and the ugly........:))

I'll start it off......33 inch,24lb Northern Pike caught off the breakwall in Port Sanilac,MI(Lake Huron)while fishing for perch.8lb test on a light action 9ft steelhead rod with shiner minnows for bait.Didn't catch a single perch......wonder why???:)
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Shamus; 08 Jun 09,, 02:24.
                        "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Does dynamite count?

Comment

My biggest was a 25Kg Conger, just off the Edistone Lighthouse. They bark like dogs.

Comment

one and only fish i ever caught was a maybe 5kg./10-pound carp fish i hit accidentally when i jumped to lake as a child. Only angling success , an old bicycle in the same lake.
                              If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Working...
                              X