X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IJA War Posters of Russo-Japanese War

Enjoy.
    Attached Files
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

2nd Set
    Attached Files
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

3rd set
      Attached Files

Comment

last one.
        Attached Files

Comment

i didn't know there were already biplanes in use by that time! didn't the wright brothers just fly a year or two prior??
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

It goes to show you how fast they adopted.

Comment

Aren't these pictures of the Allied intervention into Siberia from about 1918 to 1921?

The writing refers to it as the Siberian War and the Japanese uniforms look different from the Russo Japanese war ones (which were darker in color).

Comment

Two points jump out at me, both typical of the propagandists hand: The civilians, especially the large number of women and children, waving small Japanese flags, their faces rapturous at their liberation by the IJA. And the aircraft - the style shown is representative of the state of the art around 1910-1912. Some Wright-style forward stabilizers, which make pitch incredibly twitchy (not naturally stable), and which were abandoned after maybe 1912, at the latest. If these drawings were of the 1904-05 war, I'd say it is impossible for these aircraft to exist in this context. The Wright Brothers visited Europe in '08, I believe, and while European powers had some limited flying going on, the Wright's wing-warping and overall control made a big impression on Europe. Japan certainly did not have this capability in 1904. No one did.

If the drawings are 1918-1921, then the Japanese aircraft state of the art might be accurately represented; available as scouts, observers, and perhaps a bit of bomb dropping, but definitely behind post WW1 Europe .

Comment

Has to be the intervention. The Japanese never got near Vladivostok in the Russo Japanese war (see the 2nd picture in post #2).

Comment

Xinhui, they're a great find.
                    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Thanks, you all know how much I love propaganda arts

Comment

chogy, skywatcher,

seems you're right. although it IS rather stylized-- sword cavalry charges in the 1918-1921 intervention?
                        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Yep, but the Japanese never cared much for realism in their propaganda.

My hackles were raised by the uniforms. I recall that prints from the Russo Japanese War showed Japanese troops in dark colored uniforms, since my professor brought in a whole bunch of them.

Comment

I agree, it has to be the intervention era. However, I am somewhat perplexed by the poster that is fourth from the top. It says that Japanese troops attacked a Austrian-German force and took the bridge enemy was retreating on.

Did these forces ever fight Japanese forces in Russia? Or could this have been a depiction from the Japanese invasion of the German imperial territory in China during WWI?

Comment

Working...
                            X