Interview with David Kilcullen as part of Sky News Aust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview with David Kilcullen as part of Sky News Aust

This was on Sky News this late afternoon interview with David Kilcullen as part of Sky News Aust's Agenda series. Covers Afghanistan & Pakistan matters.

It will/should be available as a podcast 1 June from the following site I hope.
    Sky News Australia - Podcast
    Look for Agenda not Sunday Agenda.

It is there now and first interview of current episode.
    Its about 24Mb.
    If you miss it let me know and I will see how to get a copy out.

Population

A small concern but Mr. Kilcullen has GROSSLY overstated the population of SWAT, calling it 20,000,000 twice during the program. Not so and far closer to 1.25m.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Here is another recent interview with David Kilcullen on Iraq. Click into the link for the full article.

What next for Iraq?
      2 Jun [ABC] MARK COLVIN: From the news wires, today's Iraq snapshot includes a mortar round landed on a police station and a hand grenade thrown at a US military patrol in Mosul, a bomb in a vegetable market which killed four people in southern Baghdad, and a suicide car bomber shot dead in Jalawla northeast of Baghdad.

On the other hand, the number of civilian deaths in Iraq for May was just 134 - the lowest level for any month since the invasion in 2003.

It's no exaggeration to say that an Australian is at least partly responsible for the strategy which has brought the figures down over the last few years. Lieutenant Colonel David Kilcullen was a theorist of asymmetrical warfare in the Australian army when he was seconded as senior adviser to the US General David Petraeus in Iraq.

He has a book out called "The Accidental Guerrilla" and I asked him today about the prospects for Iraq.

DAVID KILCULLEN: Well I think the most important thing about the level of violence currently is that it is in fact as you said the lowest since 2003 and I think we have to understand how it came to be that low if we want to understand what's going to happen next.

And essentially, as you probably know, towards the end of 2006 when we changed the approach in Iraq, at that time the civilian casualties per week were about 3,000 to 3,500. So that was a 9/11 every week, week after week in Iraq. And a lot of us went to Iraq largely on humanitarian grounds because we wanted to end the fighting and reduce the amount of civil disorder and violence against civilians.

Now we've succeeded in doing that to the point where the violence is down to levels that haven't been seen since the few quiet months after the initial invasion. But the problem of course is that we achieved those levels of peace and stability with a very substantial international presence. ....

Comment

Working...
      X