Ten WW2 Photos that Make You Think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten WW2 Photos that Make You Think

Many of you guys are already visitors of my WW2DB website -- so first of all, thanks for being continued supporters :)

With a photo collection now over 6,500 in size, I thought it would be fun to publish a series of highlights. The first installment is here: "Ten WW2 Photos that Make You Think":

WW2DB: Ten WW2 Photos That Make You Think

Hope you guys enjoy! If you have any ideas about what highlights would be fun to do, I'd love to hear them!

Finally, if you could, please help me Digg it:

Digg: Ten WW2 Photos That Make You Think

Thanks!
    Last edited by temujin77; 21 May 09,, 03:54. Reason: Clarification with URL
    Pete

Up to 7 Diggs now, thanks guys :)

C'mon, I want to see a new more, please!
    Pete

Comment

Wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
        Wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing.
        You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed it.

I'm working on the next installment, be sure to check in with the site regularly :)
        Pete

Comment

Well, here comes the next installment!

Ten WW2 Photos in Color | World War II Database

10 pretty WW2 photos in color! Hope you'll enjoy. If you don't mind, please Digg for me!

Ten Selected WW2 Photos in Vibrant Color

Thanks!
          Pete

Comment

regarding the pic of mac with wainwright-- i wonder if he felt guilt at all for his incompetence that led to wainwright being forced to surrender-- and then running out via submarine while wainwright stayed with his troops.
            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by temujin77 View Post
              Well, here comes the next installment!

Ten WW2 Photos in Color | World War II Database

10 pretty WW2 photos in color! Hope you'll enjoy. If you don't mind, please Digg for me!

Ten Selected WW2 Photos in Vibrant Color

Thanks!
              *I must say Temujin you have a very good site. Dazzling photos.:)
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                regarding the pic of mac with wainwright-- i wonder if he felt guilt at all for his incompetence that led to wainwright being forced to surrender-- and then running out via submarine while wainwright stayed with his troops.
                It was PT boat, not submarine, though that matters very little :)

MacArthur knew very well that he was risking Wainwright, both as his lieutenant as well as his friend, when he asked him to stay. MacArthur was a very formal man, but in this rare occasion, he addressed him by the first name; "Goodbye Jonathan", he said, and if there was one moment (aside from his final West Point speech many years later) where I can see the general choke up, this must have been it. When they reunited years later, it was rather a surprise, and MacArthur was overwhelmed by emotion. Probably a lot of guilt, but also joy must have been overwhelming, albeit bittersweet. This is how the general remembered the moment:

Originally posted by Douglas MacArthur
                I rose and started for the lobby, but before I could reach it, the door swung open and there was Wainwright. [Wainwright] was haggard and aged.... He walked with difficulty and with the help of a cane. His eyes were sunken and there were pits in his cheeks. His hair was snow white and his skin looked like old shoe leather. He made a brave effort to smile as I took him in my arms, but when he tried to talk his voice wouldn't come. For three years he had imagined himself in disgrace for having surrendered Corregidor. He believed he would never again be given an active command. This shocked me. "Why, Jim," I said, "your old corps is yours when you want it."
                "General..." was all Wainwright could respond before he broke down into tears.

It's also interesting to note the cane. MacArthur gave it to Wainwright years prior as a gift. It was to be used as an object of swagger, much like how MacArthur and his pipe. At the reunion, MacArthur was sad to see that the swagger cane became something that emaciated Wainwright relied on to walk.

Originally posted by Dreadnought
                *I must say Temujin you have a very good site. Dazzling photos.
                Thanks :) Very proud of ww2db here too. Still amazed how the Mrs. puts up with me disappearing all the time to work on the website!
                Pete

Comment

Excellent Temujin, - Thanks.
                  sigpic

Comment

The pic of the Nagasaki mushroom cloud is a terrifying and awe-inspiring sight.

The one of the baby crying is very disturbing and sad. I did not know it was taken in Shanghai, as in the past I’ve seen captions of this pic that state it was taken in Hiroshima after the nuclear blast.

The photo of the Holocaust victims is again very upsetting, it will always be difficult to view such photos. Probably the most horrific and shameful period in human history.

Great & thought-provoking collection of photos Temujin, and thanks for compiling them.

Nebula82.

Comment

Really glad you enjoyed it, nebula82. After this one I also compiled one of color WW2 photos, and I am trying to think of a topic for a third in the series -- any suggestions?

Re. the photo of the baby in Shanghai, I've seen conflicting captions of the photo, though I haven't seen it identified as Hiroshima. Usually the alternative identification of the photo is Nanjing in late 1937, but I usually see this photo captioned as Shanghai.
                      Pete

Comment

Originally posted by temujin77 View Post
                        Really glad you enjoyed it, nebula82. After this one I also compiled one of color WW2 photos, and I am trying to think of a topic for a third in the series -- any suggestions?
                        Some pics on IBT and British Fourteenth Army might be nice.
                        When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X