Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French naval forces fool Somali pirates

Doh! Pirates captured after attacking the wrong ship - Times Online

Gotta love our unconventional tactics, right?

From a distance the large ship on the horizon looked like the perfect target, ripe for a successful spot of piracy.

But as the Somali pirates sped toward the vessel sailing near the Seychelles, they were horrified to see two boats and a helicopter set off from their target and launch their own counter-attack.

They had failed to spot, in the dazzling sun, that the 'merchant ship' they thought they were intercepting was, in fact, a French naval ship bristling with cannons, radar technology and armed commandos.

When the three pirate boats were spotted heading toward them the frigate Nivose, one of the ships patrolling the region as part of the European Union anti-piracy mission Atalanta, headed into the sun to camouflage its true identity before turning to confront its attackers.

When the boats were close enough, Lieutenant Commander Jean-Marc le Quilliec sent his commandos out on outboards, with a helicopter to provide air support.

The helicopter fired two warning shots to stop the three boats from fleeing and within minutes the 11 pirates had surrendered.

Two of the attack boats were small skiffs which the pirates used as attack vessels and the third was a nine metre (30 foot) mother ship, used to transport supplies such as petrol, water and food.

Only one pirate was left on board the mother ship which had nothing on board except fuel and potates, said Lt Commander le Quilliec.

"He apparently thought the pirates had hijacked us," he said.

The commandos found two Kalashnikov assault rifles on one of the skiffs, ammunition, a rocket-launcher and five grenades.

The 11 captured pirates, some of them very young, were ordered to sit on the deck with their hands on their heads as French forces searched them.

"The guys we catch are getting younger and younger," said one navy soldier. "Look at this one, he can't be 17."

A French navy spokesman confirmed the capture of 11 pirates.

"The pirates are currently on the Nivose," he said.

"For the moment we don't have any indication of what the European Union forces want to do with these pirates."

The world's naval powers are dispatching an ever-growing fleet of warships in response to a scourge which is threatening to disrupt one of the world's busiest maritime trade routes.

In a bid to avoid the patrols, some pirate groups have ventured further out into the Indian Ocean.

Several incidents have been reported recently in the Seychelles, a small Indian Ocean nation with a thriving tourist trade, which is a base for foreign fishing fleets.

On Sunday anoather three pirates were apprehended in Seychelles waters.

"The three men identified themselves as Somali. They were travelling in a six-metre skiff with several barrels of fuel and water onboard,'' said a Seychelles government spokesman.

Good work frogs Would have been a lot easier and more convenient for all parties involved if they had 'died resisting arrest' but what the hell.. whatever works.
    The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

Originally posted by chakos View Post
      Good work frogs Would have been a lot easier and more convenient for all parties involved if they had 'died resisting arrest' but what the hell.. whatever works.
      Have to agree a very smart move on the captains part to head into the sun and camo the ship. Nice move and quick thinking.;)

Take them further out to sea, sink their motherships and skiffs and dump their ass overboard. Have fun swimming, that is after feeding time.:P
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
        Have to agree a very smart move on the captains part to head into the sun and camo the ship. Nice move and quick thinking.;)

Take them further out to sea, sink their motherships and skiffs and dump their ass overboard. Have fun swimming, that is after feeding time.:P
        Why bother... few rounds of 76mm and a couple of hundred rounds of .50 and the problems solved. No need to publicize it, just do it on the sly and move on. Over time the numbers will be culled enough to really slow the problem.

If you get them quick enough they wont have time to get on the radio, even better... more keep coming.

Just one question ;)

Had the Somalis actually shot back... would the Frenchies umm.. you know... have raised the white flag?

Comment

Why bother... few rounds of 76mm and a couple of hundred rounds of .50 and the problems solved. No need to publicize it, just do it on the sly and move on. Over time the numbers will be culled enough to really slow the problem.

If you get them quick enough they wont have time to get on the radio, even better... more keep coming.

Just one question ;)

Had the Somalis actually shot back... would the Frenchies umm.. you know... have raised the white flag?
          We didn't raise it when we lost 10 in Afghanistan, why should now be any different?

Comment

Lighten up Frenchie.. i was only partaking in a time honoured Aussie tradition called 'taking the piss'

Comment

Lighten up Frenchie.. i was only partaking in a time honoured Aussie tradition called 'taking the piss'

Comment

Dont these Euros get it... if i wanted to show displeasure... id be NICE to you.

Comment

Dont these Euros get it... if i wanted to show displeasure... id be NICE to you.
                  All with a grain of salt my friend.:)

Comment

All with a grain of salt my friend.:)
                    Mind you im Eurotrash myself. Born and bred Aussie but Cypriot background and the EU passport to prove it. My missus says she married me for the EU greencard

Comment

Mind you im Eurotrash myself. Born and bred Aussie but Cypriot background and the EU passport to prove it. My missus says she married me for the EU greencard
                      :))

Comment

You told me you were a wog!

I don't classify Cypriot's as wogs.

Generally speaking, they are much better behaved & less pig-headed.

And here I was for the past few days, with my unimportant opinion of you having plummeted :P :P :P
                        Ego Numquam

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidNazgul View Post
                          We didn't raise it when we lost 10 in Afghanistan, why should now be any different?
                          Il plaisante - le bon travail, exécution impressionnante de la marine française.

Ces pirates regrettent probablement leurs choix de carrière !
                          Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
                          - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidNazgul View Post
                            He's just ribbing you my friend.:)

Comment

Originally posted by Chunder View Post
                              You told me you were a wog!

I don't classify Cypriot's as wogs.

Generally speaking, they are much better behaved & less pig-headed.

And here I was for the past few days, with my unimportant opinion of you having plummeted :P :P :P
                              Where i come from a wog is generally considered a Southern European (not Lebanese as much as they love to call themselves such). Basically your Greeks (and that includes Cypriots of the Greek variety), Italians, Maltese, Spaniards and all your former Yugoslavs.

So yes by the properly understood meaning of the slang i would be a greasy slimy wog

Comment

Working...
                              X