Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Australian army or the British army? which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dan m View Post
    I was just kidding , there is no doubt in my mind that the armies of the Commonwealth and NATO are good too.
    I had a feeling you were just goofing a bit... good to know!

We've had a few guys recently who seem to have made it a mission to stir the pot a bit.

I have 3 of my own in the US Army, even though I was an Air Force guy!

Comment

Originally posted by 1947 View Post
      What jobs are you interested in?
      Interested in a few jobs like General Service Officer, Armoured Corps Officer, Artillery Officer but particularly this one Intelligence Corps Officer.

Comment

Originally posted by tayls39 View Post
        Interested in a few jobs like General Service Officer, Armoured Corps Officer, Artillery Officer but particularly this one Intelligence Corps Officer.
        Everyone applies for general service position you will only get the job of your choice based on your performance at duntroon. Until then nothing is guaranteed

Comment

Everyone applies for general service position you will only get the job of your choice based on your performance at duntroon. Until then nothing is guaranteed
          Ah K thanks for the info. Any advice on what they're looking for?

Comment

Ah K thanks for the info. Any advice on what they're looking for?
            I'm just a digger but looked into officer positions before and from my conversations with some of my platoon commanders it mainly the ability to stay switched on (you would be surprised by some of the idiots who make it through the college as officers) teamwork and leadership. Your standard repose you will get from the recruiter.

Comment

I'm just a digger but looked into officer positions before and from my conversations with some of my platoon commanders it mainly the ability to stay switched on (you would be surprised by some of the idiots who make it through the college as officers) teamwork and leadership. Your standard repose you will get from the recruiter.
              Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes :slap:

Comment

I too am also interested in joining either the British army or the Australian army as being a citizen of both countries. Does anyone have an idea of the type of facilities that either one posses as a comparison. Also the rate of pay and benefits. I've been talking to a person who works in recruitment and tells me that in order to enter officers training I would have to reside in the UK for at least 1 year. Can anyone confirm or deny this. Also the age restriction for both armies. I'm working through a degree and wish to enter after I finish and would like to find out which is easier to enter officers training with these factors. Although I'm not as enthusiastic to be faced with a tour of duty, I do consider it as something that must be done if you ever wish to have a career in the armed forces.
                Mate, join the ADF. All the things I said years ago in this thread were true then, but Afghan is winding down for everyone who's not SF or one of their hangers-on, and the British Army (which I left a little over a year ago) was becoming a pretty depressing environment of cutbacks, redundancies, worsening conditions (they were cutting some of our allowances to save money) and mountains of barrack-room BS because future tours were drying up. The ADF's pay is on average twice as high, the conditions are better (I spent two years in a cramped four-man room) and realistically the career opportunities can't be much worse thanks to the 20% reduction in manpower that the British Army is going through. You'll get the best deal going through ADFA if you're interested in becoming an officer.
                Not to say I regret my time in HM Forces, but that was the 2000s when I was basically unlucky to only get one tour during my colour service, times have changed. The UK is probably going to be avoiding foreign entaglements on a large scale for quite a while because of their economic and political climate, the same is probably true for Australia, but frankly, if you're going to be sitting in barracks for years at a time, you might as well be getting paid and looked after as well as you can while doing it. Unsurprisingly, I am waiting on a vacancy with the Aussie Army as we speak, so of course I am biased, but seriously, I can't recommend the British Army for the forseeable future if you have the option of both.

Comment

But, whatever you decide to do, expect to wait a while. Last I heard my battalion's waiting list was something insane like two years long, even with a pretty large swathe of guys signing off or getting made redundant, because of the impact of the recession. Obviously that was the UK and Australia didn't cop it quite as hard thanks to our natural resources, but the wait-out for Rifleman positions is like 18 months according to the recruiters at my first information session. Also, be wary of recruiters, either here or in the UK, they will try to sell you snake-oil because they have quotas to fill.

Comment

Originally posted by -{SpoonmaN}- View Post
                    Also, be wary of recruiters, either here or in the UK, they will try to sell you snake-oil because they have quotas to fill.
                    How true. It's good to hear from you again and I hope all goes well and you get that vacancy in the very near future. I'm hope your time in the army stands you in good stead for your career in the Australian Forces and I'm sure you will do well.
                    Last edited by dave lukins; 12 Feb 13,, 17:33.

Comment

• (you would be surprised by some of the idiots who make it through the college as officers)

Hey! I resemble that remark!

SpoonmaN, good to see you lurking again.
                      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X