Best Museum BB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Museum BB

So far I've visited the North Carolina (which I am intimately familiar with, being from that state), walked the main deck of Wisconsin, and toured Alabama. I guess my only other options are Missouri, Texas, New Jersey, and Massachusetts.

I guess what I'm looking for is: quality of preservation, and quality of information.

I've visited North Carolina several dozen times over the years, and they seem to keep changing things around to make it new. Since I've been there, they've lowered the rifles on the #3 Turret, trained the 5/38's in different directions, and added a ton of information to read. They detail the daily life of the crew, added interviews of former crew members, etc. You could really spend an entire day on North Carolina and not read everything there. Plus I hear they offer a behind the scenes tour every once and a while. I bet they'll offer river cruises soon, JK.

Wisconsin is nice, because of the set up with the Nauticus complex (and its free). But when I was there in 2005, you couldn't go inside. Just walk the main deck. There was some information to read, but 30 minutes and you were pretty much done.

Alabama, for me, was somewhat of a let down. There was a handout you followed, and it was easy to lose your way, or miss information. I did learn a little bit about BB life and operations that I didn't from NC (like spare tube storage for the 40mm). But if Alabama were show-and-tell, it was all show and no tell.

As for condition... Wisky had to be in the best shape. NC really showed her age my last visit in 2008, after coming home from Iraq. Lots rust, and a lot of work needing to be done. Part of the starboard side of the ship was sectioned off, because of construction work... I only hope they're overhauling it. Finally Alabama seemed to be really bad. There was a ton of rust everywhere, and to me it seemed like nothing was really cared for. I think she needs a lot of restoration work.

So I'm planning a trip this fall, with that, which should way should I be looking?

I have toured Alabama, North Carolina, and Missouri...Texas is on my wish list. On the Missouri tour my wife and I paid for the "extended below decks tour", which is not the official name. We had a fantastic tour guide with a passion for history. Very small groups on the guided tours. Aside from my wife and myself there were only two others. Missouri is obviously quite far, and if you were going to go I might schedule two tours and get two different guide.

Comment

Originally posted by DocHayes View Post
      Finally Alabama seemed to be really bad. There was a ton of rust everywhere, and to me it seemed like nothing was really cared for. I think she needs a lot of restoration work.
      I agree, I was just there a several months ago and was dishearted by her appearance.

Alabama and her museum aircraft complement have sadly been battered by the hurricanes of a few years ago. I suspect much - or all - of their spare cash have gone into making the part operational again, leaving little to nothing for the ship herself. :(

So I'm planning a trip this fall, with that, which should way should I be looking?
      Massachusetts or New Jersey, for several reasons each.

Both give access to multiple warships

Fall River gives you:
      • USS Massachusetts (BB-59)
      • USS Joseph P. Kennedy Jr. (DD-850)
      • USS Lionfish (SS-298)
      • PT-617
      • PT-796
      • Hiddensee (Soviet-built Tarantul I missile corvette)

Camden, plus Philadelphia across the river gives you
      • USS New Jersey (BB-62) (Camden)

Independence Seaport Museum (Philadelphia)
      • USS Olympia (C-6) Armored cruiser of George Dewey fame
      • USS Becuna (SS-319)

Battleship Cove
      in Massachusetts sports an extremely impressive array of displays and more scale models than you can shake a 16-inch gun at: Model ships, tanks, planes, the whole nine yards.

You'll spend hours deep inside the belly of the battleship going through compartment after compartment wondering if the 'march of the models' will ever end!

There are also a T-28 Trojan and a Huey gunship on display (might be more aircraft, not sure though)

Camden's Battleship New Jersey museum features probably the most accessible and best presented Iowa-class available today. She looks like she could raise steam and haul out of there within a few hours, yes she's that well maintained.

But best of all, you can arrange to have our World Affairs Board very own member Dreadnought give you a guided tour (gawd I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here ). Speaking from personal experience, you'll get the tour of a lifetime :)
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Before I give my verdict, I will list the museum ships I have visited.

USS Yorktown
        USS Constitution
        USS Massahcussetts
        USS Alabama
        USS Olympia
        USS North Carolina
        USS New Jersey
        and probably a few DD museums that I dont remember right now, and I have to say......

Battleship Cove, Fall River, MA

I chose this one because not only is it in my relative backyard, but also because of the access to the ship that the patron has. Plotting rooms, CIC, magazines, turrets, handling rooms, and what I consider a good measure of a museum ship... got to see one of the engine rooms, which was pretty good shape. I have seen other engine rooms, but there has been peeling paint and all sorts of crap around. When I toured NJ, her engine rooms were not open to the public. So Fall River gets my vote.
        Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Hit Often...

Comment

Anyone know is Wisky is open below decks now?

Comment

1. Maximusslade

You weren't able to visit the engine room on the USS Constitution?;)

2. DocHayes.

As of last fall the Wisconsin was still closed below decks because of its status as in Reserve (i.e. mothballed) Mobilization Category B. As a result is can still be called to active duty. Therefore they keep her closed up.

My favorite part about visiting the Wisconsin is lookling into the portholes on the starboard side forward on the superstructure....and seeing the Radio Shack TRS-80 computers all lined up there! All I could think was "Geez, are THOSE what they used to program the Tomahawks during the Gulf War!?!?!?!"

I agree...Battleship Cove is the best bang for the buck.
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post

Alabama and her museum aircraft complement have sadly been battered by the hurricanes of a few years ago. I suspect much - or all - of their spare cash have gone into making the part operational again, leaving little to nothing for the ship herself. :(
              If I lived close to there, I'd be glad to volunteer my own time to get her ship-shape again.

Comment

Anyone know is Wisky is open below decks now?
                Negative.;)
                Last edited by Dreadnought; 30 Apr 09,, 16:32.
                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

So far, I have only been able to visit two museum ships, the North Carolina, and the HMS Victory. North Carolina I have been to several times, and might be making yet another trip this summer. Getting old, but still interesting.

Touring the Victory was a fascinating historical experience. The only trip I have taken that was better was Gettysburg. Nelson's Navy was so different from what we have today, that it seems like a thousand years ago instead of a mere 200.

My wish list for future visits.

Constitution
                  Alabama or Mass.
                  Yorktown

Wouldn't mind seeing the Wisconsin or the New Jersey, if for no other reason than to show my son what kind of ship his Dad served on.

BTW, does anyone know if they still plan on taking the USS North Carolina up to Hampton Roads for some drydock time? Last I heard, the trip was scheduled for 2011.

Comment

BTW, does anyone know if they still plan on taking the USS North Carolina up to Hampton Roads for some drydock time? Last I heard, the trip was scheduled for 2011.

*It was from what I have heard supposed to happen before that but given budgets and all not surprised it got pushed back. I dont know if true or not but rumor holds she will need alot of help getting out much like Intrepid did and I doubt the USN will let anybody take her without their co-operation from the go instead of having to come in support such as in Interpids case.

It will be a sight to see a BB in drydock again. Cant wait to see some of the pictures of her both at tow and in dock.

Might even have to make a special trip down to see her.

*You can bet the Dockmaster will have a "perma grin" for having to lay out her support blocking. A labor of love that hasnt been done since she became a memorial. Bet that will make his day when he gets that file.:)
                    Last edited by Dreadnought; 01 May 09,, 14:09.
                    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

I wonder if it will end up in the dry dock by the Downtown Tunnel.

That will make for a GREAT back drop while watching a Tides game!
                      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                      Mark Twain

Comment

BB Museums I have visited:

USS Missouri, with my Dad, summer 83 - before her recall in 86 - Washington State
                        USS Texas - great Dreadnought
                        Big Mamie - USS MASS. 1986
                        USS NC
                        USS Constitution - ole ironsides
                        USS Alabama - as a young boy, before her rust problems

I think my favorite as a kid was the North Carolina. I have a pic of me in one of the 40mm mounts. Remember having visions of shooting down Japanese planes!

The USS Texas was such a great experience. Those 14inch gun turrets were not roomy. Sound tubes were everywhere - there was even a leather belt to strap ya in to protect the gun captain (not sure) from the recoil of the 14inchers!

Go see Texas, while she's still in the water. I've heard they may permanently 'dry dock' her. I wonder if that means doing something similar to IJN Mikasa - encasing her in concrete?

Comment

Last I heard, Texas's "drydocking" will actually be done on blocks, not encased in concrete. I am told they want to allow visitors to see the old lady from her underside, which would be cool.
                          Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Hit Often...

Comment

Originally posted by maximusslade View Post
                            Last I heard, Texas's "drydocking" will actually be done on blocks, not encased in concrete. I am told they want to allow visitors to see the old lady from her underside, which would be cool.
                            Max, that would be super cool! Imagine walking underneath the ship and seeing the hull from that perspective. :)

Comment

Originally posted by BBwarrior View Post
                              Max, that would be super cool! Imagine walking underneath the ship and seeing the hull from that perspective. :)
                              Been there, done that, wasn't my cup of coffee.

Comment

Working...
                              X