Best Museum BB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
    I knew it wasn't Mo when I saw the first TV comercials on it showing Segal rapelling down a rope off the stern. Though it said MISSOURI, it didn't have the Nixie transom openings.

Then the phoney Tomahawks were pointing in the wrong direction as well as not being in their AUR cannisters. Sometimes you could see one of the 40mm gun mounts.

But I LOVED that scene where Jones is curious about seeing the turret trained outboard and when it fires he grabs his ears and rolls around on the deck in pain.

On Missouri's gunnery trials, the Captain insisted everyone on the outside wear double ear protection. Ear plugs PLUS ear muffs. I only needed the ear muffs. As for plugs I merely turned off my hearing aids.

*Another dead give away was when they were loading the gun. Their rammer seemed to give the appearence of being air assisted (and a flat head almost like a 10 penny nail) instead of the encased big hydraulic chain rammers of the Iowa class.;)

I wonder how many eyes caught all of those little details.:))
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

I just saw that movie not long ago, picked out alot of things wrong.
      "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
      -General George Patton Jr.

Comment

Since I know more about Aikido than battleships, I though Segal was in good form.;)

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
          She took on a good amount of water. There are many pictures showing quite a list after the storm. I dont know about present day, perhaps Grape can tell since he was just there.
          Slight list. Maybe 3 deg at most.

She had around 10 deg after the hurricane.

Comment

interesting about the observations of BB-63.
            my tour of BB-62 last fall was interesting but I enjoyed Battleship Cove more.
            the chance to roam around and get lost in the engine room was wild.
            I had an excellent toour guide on the Jersey. 80 year old man that move around like a 35 year old and really knew his stuff about specs. He was a former republic aircraft engineer who signed back up with a Neptune air group.

For two hours he recited details about the Jersey that would make one's head spin.

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
              I had an excellent toour guide on the Jersey. 80 year old man that move around like a 35 year old and really knew his stuff about specs. He was a former republic aircraft engineer who signed back up with a Neptune air group.

For two hours he recited details about the Jersey that would make one's head spin.
              Just out of curiosity, how would the average person know whether the Tour Guide is really accurate with the details he spews out?

Waiting for Dreads comments on this actually.... :))

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
                interesting about the observations of BB-63.
                my tour of BB-62 last fall was interesting but I enjoyed Battleship Cove more.
                the chance to roam around and get lost in the engine room was wild.

*Insurance forbids visitors in the engine rooms and Broadway deck at this time outside the norm and maintenance. They are working these details out between the US Navy and the Insurance companies in order to open Engineering some time in the future. When opened, they will give you a full soup to nuts look into what makes the Iowas literally tick. Its a long and dubious process, much hard work by her crew and much haggling between the two entities concerned but hopefully it will soon come about. We look forward to opening engineering and other spaces below to the public as soon as possible.

I know the man you speak of and yes her very much knows his topic.:)

Comment

*Insurance forbids visitors in the engine rooms and Broadway deck at this time outside the norm and maintenance. They are working these details out between the US Navy and the Insurance companies in order to open Engineering some time in the future. When opened, they will give you a full soup to nuts look into what makes the Iowas literally tick. Its a long and dubious process, much hard work by her crew and much haggling between the two entities concerned but hopefully it will soon come about. We look forward to opening engineering and other spaces below to the public as soon as possible.

I know the man you speak of and yes her very much knows his topic.:)
                  Hmmm. Four minutes to respond to my question. What took you so long?

Good luck with getting visitors below decks of the ship. Whack your forehead or shins in Broadway yet? :)

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
                    Just out of curiosity, how would the average person know whether the Tour Guide is really accurate with the details he spews out?

Waiting for Dreads comments on this actually.... :))
                    The accuracy of the details comes from a very intense structured program ran by a particular gentlemen with support departments that I am well familiar with. He is a stickler for what is relayed to the public,how its relayed to the public and his whole program comes from many excellent sources and very time involved. Primary sources would no doubt include her build sheets (all commisionings), operational logs,sea trials,OOD Logs, Department head Logs and Chiefs and Enginnering Logs, Spec sheets and test findings on all of the ships systems, Staff reports, Weapons specs, Gunnery logs and test findings etc. Luckily all departments kept logs all throughout four commisionings and there are few onboard that either served onboard in service or where present during her sea trials both here in Philadelphia in 1968 and in Long Beach California in Sept.1982.;)

Lets just say that given this gentlemens penchant for hard and verifiable facts, If it wasnt true, they would not be relaying it to the public.;)

Of the many books written about the Iowa class and their legacy that I have seen and or read, none are without some minor speculation or misgivings both good and bad. Luckily though there are also books such as by Paul Stillwell who actually sailed aboard them and verified the facts that many copy and take for grantit and then add their own speculations as too the politics and other. Without eyeballs on experiece by men like that many would be writing nothing but speculation because lord knows all that fact checking is pure madness as well as even getting your hands on the documents that contain those facts. That in itself is an uphill battle.:)
                    Last edited by Dreadnought; 08 Jul 09,, 13:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
                      Hmmm. Four minutes to respond to my question. What took you so long?

Good luck with getting visitors below decks of the ship. Whack your forehead or shins in Broadway yet? :)
                      Not I, Pays to know your way around even if in the dark.:))

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                        Anyone know why Big Mo got put in Hawaii and all the other states seem to have gotten thier BB Namesakes? How cool would it have been to have her sitting out front of the arch?

I am not sure of the depth of the mississippi all the way up to Saint Louis, but that would be quite a long tow. And if the ship ever needed to be dry docked, its another long tow to the nearest one capable of handling a ship the size of a Iowa class BB.

Comment

Originally Posted by 7thsfsniper
                          Anyone know why Big Mo got put in Hawaii and all the other states seem to have gotten thier BB Namesakes? How cool would it have been to have her sitting out front of the arch?

USS Missouri was put in Pearl Harbor to give visual reference to the end of WWII (since the formal surrender was signed aboard) in very much the same way that USS Arizona signified the beginning of WWII to the American people when Japan attacked Pearl Dec 7, 1941. It coincides with the design of the Arizona memorial. A raised arch on one end to signify America before WWII then slumping to the hardships and duldrums of WWII and finally rising back to the raised arch on the opposite side to signify victory over Japan and Germany in WWII.;)

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny W View Post
                            I am not sure of the depth of the mississippi all the way up to Saint Louis, but that would be quite a long tow. And if the ship ever needed to be dry docked, its another long tow to the nearest one capable of handling a ship the size of a Iowa class BB.
                            Ingalls Yard at Pascagoula Mississippi. Recommisioning 1984.;)

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny W View Post
                              USS Missouri was put in Pearl Harbor to give visual reference to the end of WWII (since the formal surrender was signed aboard) in very much the same way that USS Arizona signified the beginning of WWII to the American people when Japan attacked Pearl Dec 7, 1941. It coincides with the design of the Arizona memorial. A raised arch on one end to signify America before WWII then slumping to the hardships and duldrums of WWII and finally rising back to the raised arch on the opposite side to signify victory over Japan and Germany in WWII.;)
                              Well thats very interesting. Guess i'll just have to go to Hawaii!:)

Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                                1. Maximusslade

My favorite part about visiting the Wisconsin is lookling into the portholes on the starboard side forward on the superstructure....and seeing the Radio Shack TRS-80 computers all lined up there! All I could think was "Geez, are THOSE what they used to program the Tomahawks during the Gulf War!?!?!?!"

ummm, no.. a TRS-80 would be FAST compared to the computers used to program the TLAM's in the gulf war...

being a Tomahawk tech onboard the USS Halsey DDG 97 and having the latest and greatest TLAM computers in the fleet.. you don't want to know their specs.. lets just say that a Pentium processor (Tillamook) would have more computing power..

Comment

Working...
                                X