No announcement yet.

Best Museum BB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How good are you at converting MS Word and MS Excel into PDF? Just waiting for one more rare envelope I found on Ebay of Reeves Field. Otherwise the book is finished.
    Download Adobe PDF creator (it is free). When installed all you need to is open your MS word or what not and when you go to print, select pdf creator instead of the normal printer and SHAZAM!! instant pdf. I use it all the time. I highly recommend it.
    Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Hit Often...

Comment

Originally posted by maximusslade View Post
      Download Adobe PDF creator (it is free). When installed all you need to is open your MS word or what not and when you go to print, select pdf creator instead of the normal printer and SHAZAM!! instant pdf. I use it all the time. I highly recommend it.
      Thanks. I've copied that down and will give it a try.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

I should also add that the pdf creator allows you to combine pictures, spreadsheets, or other documents all into a single pdf file. You would do so by using the combine tool in the creator.
        Hit Hard, Hit Fast, Hit Often...

Comment

Visited the North Carolina twice, once in '86 and again in '87. I got to visit the MO when it was underway on mission in late '86 or early '87, can't remember exactly. They did a live fire exercise that was pretty awesome. Won't ever forget that. Big MO gets my vote.

Comment

Instead of starting a new string, let me "Piggyback" on this one....

Never been to a BB museum, never been to any ship museum.

What about the "Ball Park" prices for each of these museum tours?

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post

USS New Jersey:

All Tour Routes onboard are color coded and marked either Red , Green , or Blue . After completing one of these three tour routes all visitors can then follow a Yellow marked Tour Route which takes them through the onboard museum displays and down below to the ships Galley, Barber Shop, Laundry and Brig.

General Quarters Audio Tour (Self-Guided Audio Tour) Admission Prices - The new General Quarters Audio Tour allows guests to take a self-guided tour of our nation's largest battleship and hear sound effects of the ship at sea and in battle, listen to real accounts of life aboard the Big J from former crew members, and even includes music! Now available for adults and children! Tickets are $17.50 for adults; $13.00 for senior citizens and veterans with identification; $13.00 for children 6 - 11 years old. Children under 6 years old, active members of the military in uniform and BB-62 veterans are admitted free.

Firepower Tour (Docent Lead Tour) Admission Prices - This Tour is a Docent Lead Tour that takes you to all the places the General Quarters Audio Tour goes, plus a few other areas including the ships Combat Engagement Center where her modern missile systems are controlled from. Tickets are $18.50 for adults; $13.50 for senior citizens and veterans with identification; $13.50 for children 6 - 11 years old. Children under 6 years old, active members of the military in uniform and BB-62 veterans are admitted free.

City at Sea Tour (Docent Lead Tour) Admission Prices - This new Docent Lead Tour allows guests to visit newly opened spaces onboard the battleship including the Quick Shop, Sick Bay, Dental spaces, Post Office, Machine Shop, Helicopter Control Tower, Ships CCTV Station and other areas. Tickets are $19.95 for adults; $15.00 for senior citizens and veterans with identification; $15.00 for children 6 - 11 years old. Children under 6 years old, active members of the military in uniform and BB-62 veterans are admitted free

*And coming soon the Engineering tour to be announced;)

http://ussnewjersey.com/main.htm
              Last edited by Dreadnought; 08 May 09,, 17:58.
              Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post

Seems like it was about 10-15 bucks per adult on the North Carolina, but that was a few years ago.

BTW, North Carolina has a Ghost Tour now (because they had an episode of Ghosthunters on the ship). In some ways, that is disappointing because its clearly just a means to make money, but if it helps provide for the upkeep of the ship, then I guess its ok.

Ghost tour

Comment

The North Carolina also holds a "behind-the-scenes" tour for special groups, every once and while. The tour takes you to places closed on the normal tour. Not really sure what that entails. You have to check the site to make reservations.

Comment

BB35 On Blocks

The jury is still out as to when or even whether it will happen, but it is looking good. Most of the money is in place, but there is at least one interest group who is fighting it. Mainly because they want the ship moved permanently away from its current setting, but that is a whole different discussion.

While you would certainly be able to see the entire hull in all its glory, you will not see any through-hulls, or even prop shafts and shaft struts. The props and shafts were pulled and the shaft struts cut away in 1946. All hull openings below the waterline were plated over during the 1988 drydocking. It is really unfortunate that the plating did not happen during the 1946 docking. The failure of sea chest packing caused the majority of the extensive flooding that the ship suffered in 1948-88. The results were catastrophic in numerous areas on hold deck and 2nd platform levels. There are once again some serious issues with hull and torpedo blister integrity that need to be quickly addressed. This stands to reason since it has been 20 years since the last time TEXAS was out of the water. Putting it on blocks will cost very roughly twice as much as a standard drydock session. While that is a lot of money, it would never have to be spent again, as opposed to trying to scrounge it up every 15-20 years. Plus, the 90+ year old ship will not be exposed to the extreme danger of towing it out into the open Gulf of Mexico to the closest shipyard that can handle it. Besides the bargain of never having to do it again, the hull will be constantly accessible and maintainable, with little more than scraping, priming and painting on a convenient schedule.

Comment

Oh Yeah, BB35 Hard Hat Tours

Hard hat tours are given 5 times a year, from October through May, that take folks down into the belly of the beast. It is 3-1/2 hours of a lot of climbing and getting dirty in places locked away from the general public. In fact, the last one of the season is tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by Ctom3 View Post
                        Hard hat tours are given 5 times a year, from October through May, that take folks down into the belly of the beast. It is 3-1/2 hours of a lot of climbing and getting dirty in places locked away from the general public. In fact, the last one of the season is tomorrow!
                        Long time no see matey, Keeping Travis in line are ya? Was happy to hear about the sale of bonds for the graving dock. Congrads.:)

Comment

Dreadnought: Those are an awful lot of tours that will have doors open to the weather and sweaty visitors streaming in and out. What do you do for humidity control, air conditioning, vent fans and how much is your electric bill to run the fans and chill water units?
                          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny W View Post
                            Seems like it was about 10-15 bucks per adult on the North Carolina, but that was a few years ago.

BTW, North Carolina has a Ghost Tour now (because they had an episode of Ghosthunters on the ship). In some ways, that is disappointing because its clearly just a means to make money, but if it helps provide for the upkeep of the ship, then I guess its ok.

Ghost tour

Regular tour is $12.00 for Adults (12 and over). $10.00 for seniors and AD mil. $6.00 for children (6-11). 5 and under are free.

The Hidden tour is $45.00
                            a special presentation in Combat Information Center; the half deck and the forward section of second deck where officers lived; the boatswain's locker where you can marvel at the equipment still sitting in it; the third deck, which is not open to the public; 5-inch gun ammunition handling room; the brig; storage areas still stocked with original items; engineering offices; radio II in full working condition; the passageway where the torpedo struck the hull in 1942; engine room #3 which you'll see differs from the restored one open to the public; and stunning views of historic downtown Wilmington from the top of the fire control tower.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                              Dreadnought: Those are an awful lot of tours that will have doors open to the weather and sweaty visitors streaming in and out. What do you do for humidity control, air conditioning, vent fans and how much is your electric bill to run the fans and chill water units?
                              A combination of the above Mr. L.

Air conditioning for the majority of the open spaces particularly the foc'sul section of the ship in forward berthing and the aft section of the ship since it sees the sun most of the day and other interior spaces such as the mess decks etc but for the turrets we run all of the blowers and in CEC we run the blowers as well on top of the air conditioning.

All that equipment in the CEC puts off alot of heat and we keep it up and running so the public sees all of consoles lit up and running like normal operations.

Everything else either has good tight weather sealing around the hatches and inner passageways and of course the OOD is not shy when it comes to announcing what condition the ship will remain in at all times and is usually about making sure she stays in that condition especially in the heat or he will set the weather condition to lock her down for severe storms and flash thunder storms.

The financial part I'm not sure of Mr. L. but we do get constant reminders to keep her pretty tight.:)

Comment

for me.. ship tours since I can remember would be..

#1 Ex USS Missouri in the late 70's when she was at Bremerton and I was about 6..

the rest were after I joined the Navy, but have been the Ex USS Missouri in Pearl Harbor (re-enlisted onboard Oct 2 1999) and took a tour where I was the only person with the tour guide, and he asked me where I wanted to go, probably the best 3 hours I've ever spend on a tour, going into main spaces, magazines, you name it..

Ex USS Midway a couple times here in San Diego
                                USS Constitution (yep, went down into the powder magazine on board her, and have a souviour (spelling) which is a 40MM saluting charge fired April 4th 2004 at 8 am
                                Ex USS Cassin Young, took a tour of her after I left the USS Constitution..

and not really a tour, but I've seen what's left of the Ex USS Oregon, her mast in Portland Oregon..

I know that I've missed a few, and will probably update this list as time goes by..

Comment

Working...
                                X