Let the automakers go bankrupt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shek View Post
    You're going to have to fill me in on this; I haven't traveled to Asia or Australia, but I've been to Europe and I haven't seen what you're talking about.
    Sir, I think he's talking about gadgets.

If you have ever been to Japan, the first thing you'll notice is how many little "gadgets" they have. They love gadgets. They had 3G capable phones years ago. Everyone has a little phone with a little website catered directly to people browsing on the phone.

Japanese also love gadgets in their houses. Their toilets have many electronic options that can do anything from heating the seat to wash your butt to blow dry it. Yeah...I think I can skip that.

I haven't been to Japan for a while, but I do catch some of their TV commercials and magazine ads from time to time.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

[QUOTE=tlake;637456]In 1979 the government, a democratic administration I might add, stepped in to bailout Chrysler, they went on to make tons of minivans, K cars and such, which were crap, but, it was good for the economy, provided jobs, which helped Reagan get re-elected in '84.

Take some of the money from the banks and give it to the auto sector. I don't want to know a country where the Bandit can't ride in an American car. Obama will be the president that oversaw the death of the Hemi, shame on you!

While there petrolheads left in the world, the HEMI will live forever.

Freddie
      Never hold your farts in, they run up your spine, and that's where shity ideas come from.
      vēnī, vīdī, velcro - I came, I saw I stuck around.

Comment

Record numbers declared bankrupt

A record number of people have gone bankrupt during the first quarter of the year as the economic downturn continued to take its toll.

A total of 19,062 people were declared bankrupt on a seasonally adjusted basis during the first three months of the year, 23.4% more than during the same period of 2008, the Insolvency Service said.

The number of people who went insolvent, which includes both bankruptcies and those taking out an Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA), also rose to a new high of 29,774.

Within this total, 10,713 people took out an IVA, under which interest on debt is frozen in exchange for a set amount being repaid each month, 3.6% more than during the previous quarter and an 11.8% rise year-on-year.

The rise in bankruptcies was even more dramatic on a non-seasonally adjusted basis, soaring by 14% compared with the previous quarter to 20,446, while they were 29% higher than a year earlier.

The total number of people declared insolvent jumped to 30,253 on a non-seasonally adjusted basis, up from 28,471 in the previous quarter.

Experts expect the number of personal insolvencies to continue to increase during 2009, to reach a record 150,000 for the year, well up on the previous high of 107,000 in 2006.

The figures also show a steep increase in the number of companies going into liquidation, soaring by 56% in the past year to 4,941 on a seasonally adjusted basis - the highest level for nearly 16 years.

The IVA is a way of getting your debts written off
        Last edited by tankie; 01 May 09,, 10:36.

Comment

I don't like this any more than the dinosaurs liked becoming extinct, but we need to adapt to our new world or go down the rickety road to extinction.

Germany is a paradox, the Government are still confused as to what they can do to save Opel, when the only interested party is Italy's Fiat, although they are only interested in the German Government's financial Aid package, which they will then make good use of.

Then there is the German GDP being down by 6%, and then there is the seasonal work that lowers the unemployment figure's artificially, for a few month hasn't happened as of yet. Probably due to the fact that no-one here wants to work on the Asparagus fields or other such menial tasks job's, as they are all highly qualified professionals.

There was a recent poll of employers and business owners and they all agreed that there company's were looking better, no wonder, when the Employment exchange has most of there employees on short time, relieving the employers of the burden of paying their full wages and insurance. The company where I work has been on short time since 01.02.09, and my colleagues are are all moaning that the Employment exchanges make up of their wages still leaves them up to €350 (for married) and €400+ (singles) worse off a month, which is bad news when you consider that they only earn around €2,000+/- a month before tax. As a driver I'm still on full time, but there ain't as many trips as there used to be so I'm loosing hours every week.

I watched Queer on BR (German regional TV station for Bavaria), last night and Christoph Suess had the audacity to use his position to publicize what I and the rest of my friends have been thinking for a while. Don't forget that our pensions are safe... Not.

Okay enough dribble from me, thank god that we have a highly contagious illness to draw our collective attentions away from the other minor mishaps in the world.
          Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
            Record numbers declared bankrupt

A record number of people have gone bankrupt during the first quarter of the year as the economic downturn continued to take its toll.

A total of 19,062 people were declared bankrupt on a seasonally adjusted basis during the first three months of the year, 23.4% more than during the same period of 2008, the Insolvency Service said.

The number of people who went insolvent, which includes both bankruptcies and those taking out an Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA), also rose to a new high of 29,774.

Within this total, 10,713 people took out an IVA, under which interest on debt is frozen in exchange for a set amount being repaid each month, 3.6% more than during the previous quarter and an 11.8% rise year-on-year.

The rise in bankruptcies was even more dramatic on a non-seasonally adjusted basis, soaring by 14% compared with the previous quarter to 20,446, while they were 29% higher than a year earlier.

The total number of people declared insolvent jumped to 30,253 on a non-seasonally adjusted basis, up from 28,471 in the previous quarter.

Experts expect the number of personal insolvencies to continue to increase during 2009, to reach a record 150,000 for the year, well up on the previous high of 107,000 in 2006.

The figures also show a steep increase in the number of companies going into liquidation, soaring by 56% in the past year to 4,941 on a seasonally adjusted basis - the highest level for nearly 16 years.

The IVA is a way of getting your debts written off

I've said this before, "I'm an optimist", I'm optimistic about the future....after it has hit bottom. The worlds economy is in free fall and the ground is coming up dam quick, but the economy is a bit of a dare devil and likes the adrenalin rush. I'm also optimistic about how close the economy waits before it pulls the rip cord. Let's hope that if the main chute fails, there is enough time to pull the emergency chute. If that fails, well, there is going to a god almighty SPLAT as the economy is spread all over the ground.

They tried with Humpty Dumpty, let's hope that technology has came to a stage where the economy can be put back together again.

But seriously folks, It's still hitting the fan and flying everywhere. Then we have to wait until it slides off the wall before we can clean it up.

I'm also optimistic that the crap can be cleaned up, but again, that takes time.

Freddie
            Never hold your farts in, they run up your spine, and that's where shity ideas come from.
            vēnī, vīdī, velcro - I came, I saw I stuck around.

Comment

Bankruptcy doesn't mean that Chrystler necessarily goes bye-bye, just that only the core strength of the company will remain. Besides, the Toyota Tundra is more American than most "American" cars.

Lastly, I don't think there's much demand for Burt Reynolds movies anymore ;)
              All true however I just saw a commercial for the re-introduction of the Camaro by chevrolet a new firebird would be nice.

Comment

This is a tough issue. There are two sides: moral and pragmatic. It seems to me that much of the opposition to a bailout comes down on the moral side: why reward company executives for making bad decisions in the past. That presupposes that a bailout is a reward.

But what about the potential for serious job loss in the midst of a particularly bad economy, the ripple effect on subcontractors, and the overall weakening of US industrial base? These are pragmatic considerations that we oughtn't ignor in our haste to punish car company executives.

Nevertheless there is a pragmatic reason for letting the companies go down, and that is, our economy should be built on a solid footing. Bailouts are not a good foundation. But can we stand 10-15 years of depression-like conditions world-wide? Like some greens say, let it tumble; that'll give the forests a chance to revive.:)

I say bailout the workers by letting them keep working versus carring them on the public dole, and fire a whole bunch of old executives.
                To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by BadKharma View Post
                  All true however I just saw a commercial for the re-introduction of the Camaro by chevrolet a new firebird would be nice.
                  Alas, Pontiac is on the chopping block.:(
                  To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

You're going to have to fill me in on this; I haven't traveled to Asia or Australia, but I've been to Europe and I haven't seen what you're talking about.
                    I found Canada backward with it's Semi's. The rediculous 'axles along the length' layout. Instead of a seemingly simple tri-axle at the back. One day I was walking along the footpath, and a tipper truck tried to turn into a building site, the driver forgot to raise his foward axle, which was resisting the turn he made, and he went straight into the adjacent sign....

That would have to be the most STUPID thing in automotive transport i have EVER seen. Not sure if it's the same in the states.
                    Ego Numquam

Comment

Originally posted by AdvanXer View Post

Yeah well, Obama's recent test flight of "Air Force One" cost $328,835, and that's just a test flight. A real trip costs much more, but we aren't complaining about that are we? Obama is a hypocrite when it comes to this, he criticizes private jet use while his own flights cost tens of times more? Complete bullshit.
                      So what would you prefer Obama take? A Limo?

Obama's flights are also budgetted for.... just like every president since AF1 was conceptualised. Every Time a Jet fighter takes off your looking at an $8000.00 price tag minimum.
                      Ego Numquam

Comment

Originally posted by Chunder View Post
                        That would have to be the most STUPID thing in automotive transport i have EVER seen. Not sure if it's the same in the states.
                        it is, but it isn,t stupid at all, driver may misscalculated the turn, but those extra wheel are there for a reason. something called weight destribution, and if the truck entering site was loaded, than those wheels must be down
                        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Shek----US application of technology

I missed your post--I assume you want justification for the statement.

In the USA the State plays a smaller part in the economy than in other countries with the exception of the Defence sector and legislation is difficult to enact with the plethora of State, Federal and other juristictions and the powerful private sector lobbies and financial influence on politics of vested interests. However US companies tend to be more competitive in most fields. This has the effect that innovations that require really big investment or legislation take longer to get of the ground in the US.
                          Some examples
                          Motor vehicles
                          High fuel prices in Europe required better fuel consumption and more efficient engines. Smaller, but powerful engines required investment and the development of such technology as aluminium heads, multi-valves, ceramic engine components. Winding roads and love of speed, spawned superior suspension, ABS, traction control. Small garages and crowded parking areas produced auto-park and rear-view TV cameras. There's lots more.

Public Transport
                          Trains that travel at 300kph
                          Early adoption of smart card contactless payment systems for intermodal travel.
                          Electronic bus timetables at bus stops with realtime updates from LBS/GPS systems.

Roads
                          Well, just drive on an autobahn, an autoroute or even the UK motorways and then on an Interstate!! Are you really still using money at toll booths?

Aviation
                          Airbus introduced digital fly-by-wire and 'one-finger' joystick control in 1988. Boeing said it was dangerous--but started to change over in 1999 with the 777.
                          The US STILL has no integrated ATS system in the New York area.

Telecommunications
                          The inventors of the mobile phone were years and years behind the introduction of multifunction digital systems with world-wide roaming.
                          Broadband wireless (3g) HSPDA has been around for about six years.
                          Japan and Europe were ready to go HDTV terrestial digital in 1981--it took until 2000 for the US to agree to an international standard.

Energy
                          Interesting that US companies are spending a fortune buying into European and Japanese solar, wind and stored power energy companies.

There's more.

Comment

It is about time for USA to lead the world by providing an alternative of automobile and
                            change the style of daily life of human being like Ford T model has done before. Do not
                            have confidence in Big 3 that they are able to do this. But USA need to lead the world,
                            need someone could achieve this task. If money have to be spent, then spend more
                            efficiently. The time for Big 3 is out, Great names do not last forever. PANAM is no more,
                            but airplanes flight more than ever.

Comment

Originally posted by diodetriode View Post
                              I missed your post--I assume you want justification for the statement.

In the USA the State plays a smaller part in the economy than in other countries with the exception of the Defence sector and legislation is difficult to enact with the plethora of State, Federal and other juristictions and the powerful private sector lobbies and financial influence on politics of vested interests. However US companies tend to be more competitive in most fields. This has the effect that innovations that require really big investment or legislation take longer to get of the ground in the US.
                              Some examples
                              Motor vehicles
                              High fuel prices in Europe required better fuel consumption and more efficient engines. Smaller, but powerful engines required investment and the development of such technology as aluminium heads, multi-valves, ceramic engine components. Winding roads and love of speed, spawned superior suspension, ABS, traction control. Small garages and crowded parking areas produced auto-park and rear-view TV cameras. There's lots more.

Public Transport
                              Trains that travel at 300kph
                              Early adoption of smart card contactless payment systems for intermodal travel.
                              Electronic bus timetables at bus stops with realtime updates from LBS/GPS systems.

Roads
                              Well, just drive on an autobahn, an autoroute or even the UK motorways and then on an Interstate!! Are you really still using money at toll booths?

Aviation
                              Airbus introduced digital fly-by-wire and 'one-finger' joystick control in 1988. Boeing said it was dangerous--but started to change over in 1999 with the 777.

Telecommunications
                              The inventors of the mobile phone were years and years behind the introduction of multifunction digital systems with world-wide roaming.
                              Broadband wireless (3g) HSPDA has been around for about six years.
                              Japan and Europe were ready to go HDTV terrestial digital in 1981--it took until 2000 for the US to agree to an international standard.

Energy
                              Interesting that US companies are spending a fortune buying into European and Japanese solar, wind and stored power energy companies.

There's more.
                              Okay, I'm rather unimpressed. I agree with your statement that it take can great efforts to enact common standards, but to describe minor lags (if they exist at all for some of them) as backwards is simply off the mark.

There's also different economics at play. One example - I got a cell phone when I started living in Italy in 1997. I returned to the States and didn't get a cell phone in 2003, and only then so that when I would call home from Iraq, we could minimize the chance that my wife would miss the call when I was out. I could have gotten a cell phone when I returned from Italy (and they were available starting in 1988, so the technology was there, but it certainly diffused much more slowly than in Europe). So what's the economics? The US had numerous, cheap long-distance providers and cheap local rates. In order to not go bankrupt in Italy you bought a cell phone to allow you to talk because the competition, the government run land lines, were so damn expensive.

Bottomline, other than public transport and especially high speed rail, which most Americans could give two sh!ts about, I still not seeing anything here.
                              "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by diodetriode
                                Aviation
                                The first test of a DFBW system in an aircraft was in 1972 on a modified F-8 Crusader at the Flight Research Center, Edwards, Calif. (now Dryden Flight Research Center). It was the forerunner of the fly-by-wire flight control systems now used on the space shuttles and on today's military and civil aircraft to make them safer, more maneuverable and more efficient.

Comment

Working...
                                X