Iran Sentences American Journalist to 8 Years in Prison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iran Sentences American Journalist to 8 Years in Prison

I agree with the assessment in this report. The case appears to be a purely political manoeuvre by radicals within the regime to sabotage any potential rapprochement between Iran and the US. I have no doubt that this case has no merit to it.

Iran Sentences American Journalist to 8 Years in Prison
    By NAZILA FATHI
    Published: April 18, 2009

TEHRAN Iran has sentenced an Iranian-American journalist, Roxana Saberi, to eight years in prison after convicting her of spying for the United States, her lawyer said Saturday.

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said she was “deeply disappointed” by what the State Department has called baseless charges against Ms. Saberi, and demanded her release.

“We will continue to vigorously raise our concerns to the Iranian government,” Mrs. Clinton said in a statement released Saturday.

The sentencing of Ms. Saberi, 31, could complicate political maneuvering between Iranian and American leaders over Iran’s nuclear program, an issue that kept relations icy during much of the Bush administration. President Obama recently made overtures to Tehran about starting a dialogue over the nuclear program, and President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran responded positively.

Ms. Saberi’s sentencing appears to set the case apart from other recent detentions of people with dual citizenship. Two Iranian-American scholars, Haleh Esfandiariand Kian Tajbakhsh, were arrested in 2007 on accusations that they tried to overthrow the government, but they were released on bail before their trials began. Ms. Esfandiari was allowed to return to the United States, and Mr. Tajbakhsh is allowed to leave Iran when he wants.

It is difficult to judge how politics may have affected Ms. Saberi’s case.

One political analyst in Iran, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the delicate subject matter, said Ms. Saberi’s arrest could be part of the efforts by radical forces within the establishment who might be trying to sabotage any reconciliation with the United States.

“There have been similar efforts in the past to sabotage efforts that were aimed at resuming ties with the United States,” he said. “Her jailing might be part of the same efforts.”

Iran has also been pressing for the release of three Iranian officials whom the United States took into custody in 2007 in Iraq. The men, who Iran says are diplomats, were arrested at Iran’s consulate in Erbil in northern Iraq.

United States forces have said the men had links to the Revolutionary Guards.

Some diplomats have suggested in the past that another American who many believe is being held in Iran, Robert Levinson, a former agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, might be being held as a high-value chip in a possible prisoner swap. Mr. Levinson traveled to the southern island of Kish in 2007 on what his family said was a business trip and has been missing since then.

Ms. Saberi, who grew up in Fargo, N.D., was arrested in January on the charge of buying alcohol, which is outlawed in the Islamic Republic. The Foreign Ministry said later that she was accused of working as a reporter without press credentials, but the prosecutor’s office said this month that she was put on trial for spying. She was tried in the Revolutionary Court, which hears security-related cases, and is is being held in Evin Prison in Tehran.

She has lived in Iran for six years and has worked for National Public Radio and the British Broadcasting Corporation. Iranian authorities revoked her press card in 2006.

The verdict came after an unusually swift trial, which started last Monday and was held behind closed doors.

Ms. Saberi’s lawyer, Abdolsamad Khoramshahi, told the official Iranian news agency, IRNA, that he was told he could appeal the case and that he would.

In a statement released Saturday, Vivian Schiller, the president and chief executive of NPR, said, “We are deeply distressed by this harsh and unwarranted sentence.”

She also said that “we know her as an established and respected professional journalist.”

In an interview with NPR, Ms. Saberi’s father, Reza Saberi, who was in Iran but not allowed into the courtroom, said his daughter was coerced into making incriminating statements.

“They told her if she made the statements they would free her,” according to a transcript of the interview on the NPR Web site. “It was a trick.”

He also said that his daughter wanted to go on a hunger strike, but he added that she was weak and that he feared it would be dangerous to her health.

Both Democratic senators from North Dakota, which is where Ms. Saberi’s parents live, expressed outrage over the sentencing, A.F.P. reported.

"This is a shocking miscarriage of justice," Senator Byron Dorgan said in a statement. "The Iranian government has held a secret trial, will not make public any evidence, and sentenced an American citizen to eight years in prison for a crime she didn’t commit.

"I call on the Iranian government to show compassion," Senator Dorgan said, adding that he would continue to work with the Saberi family, State Department officials and the international community to gain her release.

"I will not rest until Roxana is given her freedom and arrives home," he said.

The other senator, Kent Conrad, described her sentence as "preposterous" and a "travesty of justice," adding that Iran "is doing enormous damage to their credibility on the world stage with behavior like this."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/19/wo...3d5&ei=5087%0A

Perhaps an attempt to sabotage negotiations. If that was the goal though, there are many other, more effective ways to do so. This smells like Iran is using this woman as a bargaining chip. They're doing this in order to give them leverage on an other issue, or just to gauge how Obama responds.
    Smells like napalm, tastes like chicken!

Comment

Something unusual is happening here, see below. It is difficult to analyse what is the meaning behind this.

Iran's President Calls for Fair Treatment for Detained Journalist

19 Apr 2009 [VOA] Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has called on Iran's prosecutor to ensure justice for a detained reporter accused of spying for the United States.

Iran's official state news service (IRNA) reported Sunday that President Ahmadinejad sent a letter to the Tehran prosecutor urging that the case of reporter Roxana Saberi and another journalist be handled "precisely" and that he ensure that the accused can "freely and legally defend themselves."

The report comes one day after an Iranian court sentenced Saberi to eight years in jail on charges of spying for the United States. Saberi's lawyer has said he will appeal the verdict. ....

Comment

I venture she will be released on appeal.

Comment

This below is how NY Times blog analyses this 'intervention'.

Jailed American Gets Support From Iran’s President

Apr 19, 2009 ... It remains to be seen whether Mr. Ahmedinejad’s letter is merely an attempt to make it seem as if Ms. Saberi is getting a fair trial or is, in fact, some sort of intervention on her behalf. Observers have speculated that Ms. Saberi’s case is now part of a struggle taking place inside the opaque world of Iran’s complex government over how to respond to recent overtures from the United States to repair relations. ...

Comment

I think that is exactly what it is.

Comment

This is the time for the US to give more love to the Iranians. Even have Obama offer to visit Ahmadenijad. Its obvious that 'playing nice' is the most effective weapon one can play with the radicals. I would say to ignore this case altogether in public and play it out behind closed doors while at the same time calling for even more ties, friendship et al.
              The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

Originally posted by chakos View Post
                This is the time for the US to give more love to the Iranians. Even have Obama offer to visit Ahmadenijad. Its obvious that 'playing nice' is the most effective weapon one can play with the radicals. I would say to ignore this case altogether in public and play it out behind closed doors while at the same time calling for even more ties, friendship et al.
                Good call, I think this is an accurate analysis. Obama going to Iran might be too big for a first step, but he could send Clinton or something like that. I hope something productive comes of this whole exchange.
                Smells like napalm, tastes like chicken!

Comment

I think I'm pretty much in agreement with the critics that state the only reason why she was locked up is that the US still will not release Iranians that were caught in Iraq formenting extremeism.;)
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by chakos View Post

I second this.
                    My contention has always been, we were just giving him the fuel for his rhetoric by reacting to him.

hmm, I know what I meant to say, but not sure that was proper grammer... :)

Comment

Saberi 'on hunger strike' in Iran

An American-Iranian reporter jailed by Tehran for eight years on charges of espionage has gone on hunger strike, her father has said.

Reza Saberi said his daughter Roxana told him she had stopped eating five days ago.

"I'm very worried," he told Reuters news agency.

Ms Saberi was convicted of being an American spy and sentenced behind closed doors by the Revolutionary Court in Tehran a week ago.

She has become somewhat of a cause celebre, with US President Barack Obama expressing dismay at her conviction and rallies called to demand her release.

Mr Obama and Ms Saberi's family have insisted she is not a spy.

But Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has refused to intervene, insisting the courts acted independently and that she will be accorded her full rights.

Ms Saberi has lodged an appeal, which Iranian authorities say will be heard fairly and quickly.
                      Source: BBC NEWS | Middle East | Saberi 'on hunger strike' in Iran
                      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Iran to hear US reporter appeal '

An appeal will begin next week for US-Iranian reporter Roxana Saberi, who was sentenced to eight years in jail for spying, an Iranian official has said.

Ms Saberi's father says she has been on a hunger strike since she was sentenced behind closed doors last month by the Revolutionary Court in Tehran.

Iranian officials have denied the claim, saying she is in good health.

US President Barack Obama has dismissed the spying charges as baseless and appealed for her release.

The 32-year-old US-born freelance journalist had appealed against the verdict through her lawyer.

"There has been a date set for next week," judiciary spokesman Alireza Jamshidi told a news conference, giving no further details.

Iranian authorities earlier said they would hear her appeal fairly and quickly.

Hunger strike

The official denied Ms Saberi's father's claim that she has been on a hunger strike since 21 April.

"I asked the deputy prosecutor two days ago. He said that she is in complete health and not on hunger strike," Mr Jamshidi said.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has refused to intervene in the case, saying the courts acted independently and that she will be accorded her full rights.

The journalist has been in jail in Tehran since January.

She originally faced the less serious accusation of buying alcohol, and later of working as a reporter without a valid press card.

Then, in a period of less than two weeks, the charge of spying was introduced, and she was tried and sentenced behind closed doors by the Revolutionary Court in Tehran.

Ms Saberi, who holds dual US and Iranian citizenship, has spent six years in Iran studying and writing a book.
                        Source: BBC NEWS | Middle East | Iran to hear US reporter appeal
                        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

ID, what do you think of this case?

Comment

“We will continue to vigorously raise our concerns to the Iranian government,” Mrs. Clinton said in a statement released Saturday.
                            Well I bet those Iranians are just shitting thier pants 'bout now!!!

Comment

She will now go free.

CNN News Article

I hope she returns to the U.S. and stays here. Who would have thought that an attempt to buy wine would land you in jail as a spy?

Comment

Working...
                              X