Somali Extremists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Merlin View Post
    This post is not about extremists, but something related to the Somali government.

Somalia Sees Imposing Islamic Law as Positive Step
    Hows about we call upon the Muslim nations out there to send troops instead of the West. Lets see if they will stand up to their own and sort it out amongst themselves, then they have no excuses but the issues themselves. But I sincerely doubt that will ever come. Hmmm I wonder why?
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

dreadnought,

Which isint much because they have been loosing the WOT.
      considering what the talibunnies are up to in pakistan these days, i have my doubts. they hold more of pakistan and have accelerated operations in afghanistan to its highest level since 2001.

Hows about we call upon the Muslim nations out there to send troops instead of the West. Lets see if they will stand up to their own and sort it out amongst themselves, then they have no excuses but the issues themselves. But I sincerely doubt that will ever come. Hmmm I wonder why?
      well, lack of deploying ability for one...and the second is, why do you assume this to be a religious issue? what are "the muslim nations" and what is the "west"? the ostensibly muslim iraqi army and ANA have done more for us than say, the likes of germany.
      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

well, lack of deploying ability for one...and the second is, why do you assume this to be a religious issue? what are "the muslim nations" and what is the "west"? the ostensibly muslim iraqi army and ANA have done more for us than say, the likes of germany.

Z, who knows them better, what their means are and what they want and what they will settle for surely nations on the otherside of the globe wont understand as well as others with a simulair culture. Nothing more.

"Muslim nations" to me means countries whose history goes far beyond the west in understanding the muslim culture. Sure we have muslims here in the US,UK,Canada but they are a part of a bigger culture. I would think that nations with a much larger muslim population and a smaller western population would be more experienced in dealing with alot of these issues.

Comment

dreadnought,

again, i'm not z. :)

Z, who knows them better, what their means are and what they want and what they will settle for surely nations on the otherside of the globe wont understand as well as others with a simulair culture. Nothing more.
          that's the point, this whole "similar culture" thing is BS. an iraqi muslim isn't the same as an iranian or a somali muslim. an indonesian muslim is far different from a turkish one. this is nonsensical. it's like saying an ukrainian will understand a texan better because they have a "similar culture".

Sure we have muslims here in the US,UK,Canada but they are a part of a bigger culture. I would think that nations with a much larger muslim population and a smaller western population would be more experienced in dealing with alot of these issues.
          no, they're not. they know jack all about "dealing with alot of these issues", because they neither have the discipline, education, training, OR culture to understand.
          Last edited by astralis; 29 Apr 09,, 18:41.
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
            dreadnought,

again, i'm not z. :)

that's the point, this whole "similar culture" thing is BS. an iraqi muslim isn't the same as an iranian or a somali muslim. an indonesian muslim is far different from a turkish one. this is nonsensical. it's like saying an ukrainian will understand a texan better because they have a "similar culture".

no, they're not. they know jack all about "dealing with alot of these issues", because they neither have the discipline, education, training, OR culture to understand.
            Sorry Astralis, Didnt mean to call you Z.
            My bad for thinking they could be anything alike. It seemed logical and I didnt realize they were so micro on that scale.

Comment

dreadnought,

My bad for thinking they could be anything alike.
              remember, this type of thinking of "muslim sameness" is what OBL encourages. so if you hear this type of thing repeated, correct it.

winning the war on terror, one word at a time, wot?

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                dreadnought,

remember, this type of thinking of "muslim sameness" is what OBL encourages. so if you hear this type of thing repeated, correct it.

winning the war on terror, one word at a time, wot?
                Astralis, perhaps bad wording on my part, I meant that perhaps these nations can understand them better then our western nations. Maybe not in total but along along the basis of which they speak.

Comment

dreadnought,

Astralis, perhaps bad wording on my part, I meant that perhaps these nations can understand them better then our western nations. Maybe not in total but along along the basis of which they speak.
                  understand that. but they don't, because so-called muslim nations are not homogenous in culture or even belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin View Post
                    Back to extremists in Somalia.

Terrorists moving from Afghan border to Africa
                    This is an example of how they are recruiting in Somalia.

Al Qaeda exporting jihad with a hip-hop vibe

4 May LONDON (CNN) -- The latest video from Somalia's al Qaeda-backed Al-Shabaab wing is as slickly produced as a reality TV show but with a startling message -- complete with a hip-hop jihad vibe.

"Mortar by mortar, shell by shell, only going to stop when I send them to hell," the unidentified voice raps on the video, which runs at least 18 minutes.

The video also shows a man reported to be Abu Mansoor al-Amriki, dubbed "The American" by al Qaeda. He apparently is now in Somalia training and counseling Somalis from North America and Europe. He speaks in American English.

"Away from your family, away from our friends, away from ice, candy bars, all those things is because we're waiting to meet the enemy," says the man believed to be al-Amriki. Watch part of the video »

Intelligence experts say the video was probably made in recent weeks and comes on the heels of an audio message in March purportedly from Osama bin Laden. In that recording, the al Qaeda leader calls on his "Muslim brothers in Mujahid Somalia" to overthrow President Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed for cooperating with the West. ...

We're seeing perhaps their most sophisticated attempt so far to really reach an audience of potential recruits in America, and that's one of the things that made that video very significant," said Ben Venzke of the IntelCenter, a Washington-based research group that tracks al Qaeda's development and messages.

"They're casting it in a way that's going to speak to the youth of today," Venzke said. "Most of the time, what we're seeing in their videos directly parallels what the groups are doing operationally, what they are targeting, where they're recruiting." ...
                    Last edited by Merlin; 10 May 09,, 16:32.

Comment

I'll put this link about Yemen Saudi border into this thread, as they are just across the narrow Gulf of Aden from Somalia.

'Terrorism’ Industry on the Yemen-Saudi border!

10 May [YemenTimes] The news published by Financial Times newspaper on April 24, 2009 indicated that Al-Qaeda is planning to attack Saudi Arabia according to General Mansour Al-Turkey, spokesman for the Saudi Ministry of Interior. The Al-Qaeda organization in Yemen changed its name this year to become “Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula” in order to attract Saudi extremists as well as armed Yemenis and place them under one umbrella.

The newspaper clarified that the organization distributed a video threatening to conduct attacks against Saudi Arabia. As a result, the Saudi government issued a list of 83 wanted criminals that included two Yemeni nationals wanted by security. It revealed the threat that Al-Qaeda in Yemen constitutes not only against Saudi Arabia but also against other neighboring countries.

Cells of Al-Qaeda have been organizing themselves for many years, according to press reports. The appearance of Hussein Badr Al-Din Al-Houthi and his supporters in the northern mountains of Yemen who continue to fight against the government even after Al-Houthi’s death have only made the situation on the Saudi border worse. It is yet to be seen whether or not the Yemeni government truly understands the ramifications of this dangerous rebellion, particularly in Yemeni areas situated near the Saudi border where activities of Al-Qaeda in Yemen were and are still being conducted. ...

Comment

Apparently the recruitments in the US for fighters of Somali descent are bearing fruit. There seem to be similar extremist fighters from Britain, Europe and Canada. And they are sending funds.

US anti-terror authorities see Western fighters in Somalia

1 Day ago WASHINGTON (AFP) — A US counter-terrorism official on Saturday said US nationals had likely joined the ranks of insurgents in Somalia, where Islamist rebels are waging a bitter war against the Western-backed government.

"There is reason to believe that nationals of Western countries, including the United States, have joined up with terrorist groups in Somalia," the official said.

Dozens of people have been killed in recent days as the government tried to drive Islamist insurgents from the capital. Aid agencies said two weeks of fighting had displaced 49,000 people.

The violence erupted amid rumors that the insurgents have been buoyed by support from foreign Al-Qaeda-linked fighters from Europe, North America and the Muslim world.

On Saturday in London, The Times reported an intelligence report on the trend is expected to be presented to the US Congress in the coming week.

The daily said security officials have seen more than 290 fighters from Britain, the United States, Canada, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia enter Mogadishu in recent weeks.

The violence also comes as evidence grows that some Western-based Muslims have funded jihadi groups operating in Somalia.

Last week a naturalized Canadian man of Somali descent pleaded guilty to conspiracy and providing material support to the extremist network Al-Qaeda. ...

In March 2009, US lawmakers heard testimony from top security authorities who warned that growing numbers of Somali youths in the United States were being recruited by Islamic terror groups. ...

Comment

Somalia at the Horn of Africa on the Gulf of Aden trade route is on the brink of being taken over by al Qaeda Jihadists. So far the interest and support by the West is very little. It would be too late if these jihadists take over the country.

(Actually the WAB interest in this matter is also disappointing.)

Al-Qaeda on the march
                          21 May [Economist] Barely supported by the West, Somalia’s new government may buckle under the latest wave of jihadist assaults

WHEN Osama bin Laden issued a rambling audio recording of his views on Somalia earlier this year, the new authorities in the country’s capital, Mogadishu, laughed hard. Mr bin Laden’s thinking on this utterly failed state in the Horn of Africa seemed out-of-touch, even patronising. Yet only a few months after Somalia’s latest “transitional” government was set up amid a rare burst of albeit cautious optimism, Somali radicals linked to al-Qaeda are gaining strength, while moderate Islamists, such as the country’s new president, Sharif Ahmed, are losing ground.

A fresh flow of foreign fighters is said to be heading for Mogadishu. Some of them—Americans, Britons and Italians of Somali origin, as well as Arabs, Chechens, Pakistanis and Uzbeks—are no longer being hidden by their commanders but are being eagerly shown off to display the insurgents’ global support.

When Ethiopia invaded Somalia with American encouragement in 2006, the aim was to fend off any kind of Islamist threat to Ethiopia and to catch the handful of al-Qaeda people sheltering in the country. The invasion and the ensuing air raids destroyed the first incarnation of Somalia’s jihadists but the second seems to be proving stronger and fiercer. Robbed of their rationale by the withdrawal of Ethiopian troops and by Mr Ahmed’s introduction of sharia law, they are hitting back harder.

In the latest fighting in Mogadishu, hundreds more people have been shot dead or injured, and tens of thousands displaced. The insurgents have tightened a noose around the capital by capturing the nearby towns of Jowhar and Mahaday. Such advances now let the jihadists control traffic between Mogadishu and central Somalia. ....

Comment

merlin,

Somalia at the Horn of Africa on the Gulf of Aden trade route is on the brink of being taken over by al Qaeda Jihadists. So far the interest and support by the West is very little. It would be too late if these jihadists take over the country.
                            ethiopia wouldn't tolerate it. the last time somalia was at the brink, ethiopia intervened- as did US special forces.

Comment

According to the same link in post #27, the fighters are actually trying to entice Ethopia to come back again.

The fighters and their “technicals” (pick-up trucks often laden with heavy machineguns on the back) have also advanced on Beledweyne, a town close to the Ethiopian border. Their aim is apparently not to hold the town but to provoke Ethiopia into sending its troops back into Somalia, which could spur nationwide resentment towards the old enemy and more support for the radicals fighting against it. The Ethiopians are reported to be poised to make incursions back into Somalia.
                              This below from the same link is also related to Ethopia. They are dead serious, already carrying out suicide bombing of Ethopia's capital Addis Ababa, and elsewhere.

Often persuaded that Ethiopia serves as a proxy for the United States and European countries, some such men have become suicide-bombers. It is feared that attacks carried out by them in Ethiopia’s capital, Addis Ababa, may be followed by similar ones on Nairobi, the capital of neighbouring Kenya, and in such distant places as London. Two of the would-be suicide-bombers in the second planned (but abortive) attack in July 2005 on London were Somali. While Somali pirates are a regional menace, Somali terrorists have international potential.
                              Last edited by Merlin; 27 May 09,, 20:52.

Comment

Working...
                              X