New Star Trek movie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
    IIRC, the entire TOS has been remastered and put on HD-DVD, complete with subtle CGI upgrades; if I had an HD-TV, I'd purchase it myself.
    It has, I do, and I will, hopefully soon!:)

Comment

Going to see Star Trek tomorrow night with friends from work. Can't wait! :)
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

saw it last night and it was very enjoyable. However, for the younger viewers, they will not get 75% of the in jokes.
        “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

I have a strong suspicion I'm not going to waste any money going to the movie. I am a Star Trek fan, but from the promo pictures in this morning's newspaper, I cannot imagine a Teenie-Bopper being in command of a space ship as big as an Aircraft Carrier.

Besides, only one actor looks a little like the original and that's of Dr. McCoy.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Finally...the answer

I liked it. Now I know the truth, phasers DO have to recharge!;)
            Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
            (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

This movie is AMAZING!! Just came back from seeing it!!

In every possible facet, this movie excels. Trust me! I want to see this movie again...and yes, space really does have no sound!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                I have a strong suspicion I'm not going to waste any money going to the movie. I am a Star Trek fan, but from the promo pictures in this morning's newspaper, I cannot imagine a Teenie-Bopper being in command of a space ship as big as an Aircraft Carrier.

Besides, only one actor looks a little like the original and that's of Dr. McCoy.
                James is not a teeny bopper, he is more like a punk-******* who gets the shit kicked out of him the entire movie.

Zulu looks the same, and besides they are young they will age.

Comment

I like it. Though Kirk is too young to be a captain and I agree... but the movie is brilliantly shot. Kirk didn't spend his movie getting his butt kicked though, he gave plenty more then he recieved and that is what counts in the end!
                  All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                  -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
                    I like it. Though Kirk is too young to be a captain and I agree... but the movie is brilliantly shot. Kirk didn't spend his movie getting his butt kicked though, he gave plenty more then he recieved and that is what counts in the end!
                    I disagree, spock told kirk to make spock crack so that he could usurp the captains spot. Perhaps if he did not become captain now, he may never have become captain.

With pike captured, spock emotionally unstable, kirk was the only one left on the ship with the balls to be captain.

Comment

No way in hell could anyone go from cadet to captain in a week's time. Capt Pike would have been court-martialled for putting a cadet in command of superior officers who clearly had the experience that Kirk did not have.

Plus, am I the only who found the science questionable. You've just created a blackhole that swallowed a planet and everyone within eyesight is not sinking in?

And even if that supernova is real, it would have taken 1000s of years to reach Rommulus.

I can see where they revitalized the franchise with the rebirth thing but it basically says that the entire STAR TREK universe is now null and void.

Comment

I asked myself the same questions (and if I got it right, Kirk never even graduated, he was in his third year...)

And why does the black hole destroy planets, but ships simply end up in the past unharmed?

Why did Spock wait in the cave instead of going to Scotty?

Why do they use still Cortision in the 23th century? It is the third worst drug I have had to take.

Why does father kirk have to stay on the ship? He does not need an autopilot. The freaking big thing is right in front of him. Just start the engines, you can't miss!

oh an not the entire star trek universe is gone now.. if I got it right Enterprise is still canon..of all things...

Well it was a good Scifi movie..I am just not sure if it was a good Star Trek movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                          I asked myself the same questions (and if I got it right, Kirk never even graduated, he was in his third year...)
                          I know I would have pulled rank and relieved both Kirk and Pike on the spot.

Comment

FFS

Beam me up scotty

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                              I know I would have pulled rank and relieved both Kirk and Pike on the spot.
                              Before Kirk takes over they say they have no captain and no first officer to replace him..but does the chain of command not run much deeper? Wouldn't they not go through pretty much the whole crew before they end up with a cadet in command??

Further they mentioned that it was the nwe Flagship..so they put a third year cadet in Command of their best and newest Ship? And he even gets the job fulltime?? I can strecht my suspense of believe quuite a bit when it comes to the "science" stuff..but that just does not make sense.

And how can they have a 17 year old o bridge duty? If the academy is four years he must have joined when he was thirteen?! And what was Chekov job anyway? If I remember Star Trek right they always have to guys sitting at the front of the screen. On guy is the pilot...was does the other on do? And was Chekov English always that broken?

Comment

No way in hell could anyone go from cadet to captain in a week's time. Capt Pike would have been court-martialled for putting a cadet in command of superior officers who clearly had the experience that Kirk did not have.
                                In war, sometimes you have all of the officers KIA, so do you wait untill replacement officers can be sent, or do you take action and complete the mission? Is it not true, that in some occasions corporals and seargents have had to take charge when all officers have been killed?

It does happen, Kirk showed that he is a fearless leader who saved earth and the Federation by not holding back.

Also, you forget that Spock marooned Kirk on an ice planet to die. If it was not for the futuristic Spock finding him, Kirk would have been dead. Spock knows that Kirk would become a great captain... however, unless he did something drastic not only would kirk not become captain, but earth and the federation would be destroyed.

However, seeing as Spock was compromising earth, the federation and the enterprise. The futuristic Spock knew that kirk HAD to become captain, even if he was not qualified.. it had to happen, to stop the destruction of earth and the federation.

Plus, am I the only who found the science questionable. You've just created a blackhole that swallowed a planet and everyone within eyesight is not sinking in?
                                I do not agree, remember this is futuristic technology, the weaponry and technology of the futuristic ships are beyong anything in the current Star Trek universe. Thus, anything is possible.

The Red matter used to create black holes was a synthetic substance created by the Romulan scientists in the future. Who is to say that it just simply creates a synthetic weak black hole.

As for the escape of the enterprise, scotty released the warp drive cyclinders to create an explosion that was greater than the force of the black hole, to push them out of the grasp of the blackhole.

This tells me that this was obviously a very small and weak black hole.

And even if that supernova is real, it would have taken 1000s of years to reach Rommulus.
                                Perhaps the star that went supernova, was the star at the center of the Rommulus system? It never said where the star was.

I can see where they revitalized the franchise with the rebirth thing but it basically says that the entire STAR TREK universe is now null and void
                                I do not think so, if anything it adds new technologies to the universe.
                                Last edited by Canmoore; 10 May 09,, 18:44.

Comment

Working...
                                X