New Star Trek movie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
    We need a poll: Are you planning on going to see Star Trek XI when it comes out?......
    Not a chance!

Anytime they rewrite what is known, it's a turn off for me.

They show Kirk driving a corvette....yet in "A Piece of the Action", there is an indication that he has never driven a car. They show some kind of ship with a nacelle above the saucer, yet we know that such a design is years ahead in the series, not behind it.

They are doing the one thing that should not be done; pissing off some of the audience such as me.

Forget it!

Comment

Originally posted by SnowLeopard View Post
      They show some kind of ship with a nacelle above the saucer, yet we know that such a design is years ahead in the series, not behind it.
      That was the proposed Dreadnought class, was it not?
      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
        NOBODY could replace Kirk, That 60's hair flip and the coolest outter space hot rod the world had ever seen. He always got the women alien or not.:))
        Last edited by HistoricalDavid; 15 Apr 09,, 18:38.
        HD Ready?

Comment

Kirk definitely has never driving a stick shift car before, as indicated in "A Piece Of The Action." He might have driven an auto though. Unless this Corvette is a stick shift...

There was a star ship with a single nacelle over the saucer section in the FASA game. I'm not sure if that's in the canon though.
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
            There was a star ship with a single nacelle over the saucer section in the FASA game. I'm not sure if that's in the canon though.
            According to the canon, several Consitution-class heavy cruisers were rebuilt as Federation-class dreadnoughts.

However, in the original Star Fleet Technical Manual from TOS, it shows a Dreadnought-class starship that basically looks like the Enterprise with a third nacelle stuck on top of the primary (saucer) section. Here's what it looks like:

Last edited by Stitch; 15 Apr 09,, 23:42. Reason: Delete hotlink.
            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
              However, in the original Star Fleet Technical Manual from TOS, it shows a Dreadnought-class starship that basically looks like the Enterprise with a third nacelle stuck on top of the primary (saucer) section. Here's what the older Dreadnought looked like:
              I remember this one. Just don't remember where it was from.

I believe the same source has the frigate with a single nacelle above and behind the saucer.

Comment

I believe the same source has the frigate with a single nacelle above and behind the saucer.
                Yes; that, and the Scout class. The tug class had two nacelles, but they were angled down from the back of the saucer module, leaving room in between to tow the container modules.

Comment

Yes; that, and the Scout class. The tug class had two nacelles, but they were angled down from the back of the saucer module, leaving room in between to tow the container modules.
                  Depends on which book one is reading. The technical manual, before the movies started up, had a Destroyer and maybe a Scout class. Just about the same ship in appearance, maybe a difference in weapons, but the single nacelle was below the saucer, in place of the 2ndary hull.

Which is what bugs me about the movie. The trailer shows something with a nacelle above. If it's a Dreadnaught, then it is too early. If it's a destroyer, then it's done wrong.

But this attitude of we will rewrite history is what turned me off, FLAT, from Enterprise. And it's what turning me off, FLAT, from the movie.

Further, I don't accept canon for I see it as wrong as presenting something in that universe to the audience but then saying, "Oh, but that wasn't canon." (that didn't count)

It either is Star Trek or it isn't. If it isn't, then they should be suing for copywright infringement. And if they don't, then it's Star Trek. It counts.
                  "Excuse me, Sir, you are using words that is beyond their comprehension. Things either are or are not. There are no "what ifs"."--Dr. Jake Terrell, (w,stte), "The Day of the Dolphin")

Comment

It was this actually:

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                      It was this actually:

-dale
                      Yeah that's the one.

Why did I have this image of the nacelle being on top?

Comment

Yeah that's the one.

Why did I have this image of the nacelle being on top?
                        Because FASA put out a starship recognition manual with one like that on that cover. (it was the newer-style nacelle, introduced in ST:TMP)
                        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

According to the canon, several Consitution-class heavy cruisers were rebuilt as Federation-class dreadnoughts; here's what they supposedly looked like:

However, in the original Star Fleet Technical Manual from TOS, it shows a Dreadnought-class starship that basically looks like the Enterprise with a third nacelle stuck on top of the primary (saucer) section. Here's what the older Dreadnought looked like:
                          Stitch, please don't hotlink like that. It's not only against the forum guidelines but it's basically stealing bandwidth from those sites.

Try using either a photo-hosting website like Photobucket (my personal favorite) or Flickr.

Alternatively, you can simply upload the photos here at WAB. We've got plenty of space :)

Thanks.
                          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Well guys, I'm sorry, but Star Trek needs a reboot and has needed a reboot for some time.

The last series to go a full 7 seasons (just barely, I would say) was Voyager, which ended in 2001 and the last good motion picture was First Contact, which was released 1996!

I agree, I don't like the rewriting of canon, which is why Star Trek: Enterprise turned me off so much (although, Through A Mirror, Darkly was stunningly well crafted).

The test screenings for XI have gone very well and I think this one is going to be a huge hit.

But...it's time for a chance. Because at this point, it's either sink or swim. A failure here will kill Star Trek's viability as a movie/TV franchise for many many years to come.

Comment

to be honest..I simply want to finally see a great space battle again. I don't even remember when was the last we got to see on on the big screen...

Not even Star Wars could do it, all the new movies had was a bunch of cgi slapstick robots.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                                Stitch, please don't hotlink like that. It's not only against the forum guidelines but it's basically stealing bandwidth from those sites.

Try using either a photo-hosting website like Photobucket (my personal favorite) or Flickr.

Alternatively, you can simply upload the photos here at WAB. We've got plenty of space :)

Thanks.
                                No problem . . . . .

I have a Photobucket account, so I'll just use that from now on. I'll change the source code for the first image today (the second one is from Flickr) . . .
                                Last edited by Stitch; 15 Apr 09,, 23:43.

Comment

Working...
                                X