Plans for Chinese takeover of Spratly islands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plans for Chinese takeover of Spratly islands

Where can I find news/journal articles that discuss Chinese battle plans to take control of the Spratly islands?

Originally posted by Proyas View Post
    Where can I find news/journal articles that discuss Chinese battle plans to take control of the Spratly islands?
    You can check here... this source has papers on just about every topic concerning Chinese military.

http://www.comw.org/cmp/

Comment

You won't find any. Chinese OPSEC is more anal than American.

Comment

I think he was looking for more hypothetical scenerios. According to Chinese White papers they are on a peaceful rise and would never do anything to anyone. lol

Comment

Originally posted by KRON1 View Post
          You can check here... this source has papers on just about every topic concerning Chinese military.

http://www.comw.org/cmp/
          Decent source, though I didn't find anything in-depth enough. I am looking for something that estimates how many ships/planes/troops the Chinese would need to secure the islands, what kinds of capabilities would be needed, etc. We have a ton of these on how they would take Taiwan, but none for the Spratlys as far as I can tell. Any help is appreciated.

Comment

The only thing we could find at CDF are the details of the two clashes but that's destroyer to destroyer engagements. Nothing about landing and taking the islands.

Besides, who wants to? There's no fresh water anywhere there.

Comment

Decent source, though I didn't find anything in-depth enough. I am looking for something that estimates how many ships/planes/troops the Chinese would need to secure the islands, what kinds of capabilities would be needed, etc. We have a ton of these on how they would take Taiwan, but none for the Spratlys as far as I can tell. Any help is appreciated.
              there is a book by Tom clancy on just this- the chinese invade the spratlys and there is a contained naval war between the US and China. Its on the topic but basicaly its about a US SSN killing the entire PLAN and gets a bit boring. here's an amazon link.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SSN-Tom-Clan...7738675&sr=8-2
              incoming fire has the right of way

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                The only thing we could find at CDF are the details of the two clashes but that's destroyer to destroyer engagements. Nothing about landing and taking the islands.

Besides, who wants to? There's no fresh water anywhere there.
                For the oil, natural gas, fish and proximity to the shipping lanes vital to the region.

Comment

I phrased that wrong. Everyone wants to stop the other guy from laying claim. No one wants to put up the garrison to own it.

Comment

I phrased that wrong. Everyone wants to stop the other guy from laying claim. No one wants to put up the garrison to own it.
                    I thought the PLA and PAVN both had installations amongst the islands, hence the fighting back in the '90s, or have they been removed?

Comment

No permenant installation was ever built.

Comment

No permenant installation was ever built.
                        Which pretty much means up for grabs?
                        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

At least one of the islands does have a permanent presence. Taiwan maintains a coast guard detachment along with a few civilians on Itu Aba, which is the largest of the Spratly Islands.

Comment

Originally posted by -{SpoonmaN}- View Post
                            I thought the PLA and PAVN both had installations amongst the islands, hence the fighting back in the '90s, or have they been removed?
                            45 of the islands are occupied by troops from the various countries. Vietnam and China are the two biggies.

Comment

Originally posted by treasure44 View Post
                              there is a book by Tom clancy on just this- the chinese invade the spratlys and there is a contained naval war between the US and China. Its on the topic but basicaly its about a US SSN killing the entire PLAN and gets a bit boring. here's an amazon link.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SSN-Tom-Clan...7738675&sr=8-2
                              That "book" was nothing more than a paperback commercial for the game SSN.

It wasn't meant to be taken as a legitimate novel.
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                              X