Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should additional forces be sent to Afghanistan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should additional forces be sent to Afghanistan?

With the current state of affairs in Afghanistan, do you think it's necessary for there to be an increase in the forces deployed there? What do you think the ideal troop strength is, and what regions do you think are most in need of boost?
    Yes
    80.82%
    No
    19.18%
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

pakistan border
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
      pakistan border
      Needs to clear out the tribal regions, big time.

Comment

There is a definate requirement for more Troops in the Stan. I belive Helmand Provimce needs a few more, and they should also send some along to Pak Stan Border areas. Also tactics should change, they should go out and actively engage to Taliban, force them out of their Hidding Holes, push them back out into the open, using a pincer movement with the Troops on the Border and kill them that way, at present we are too spread out to make any significant effect.

Comment

Ironduke,
          NATO General Karl-Heinz Lather, the Chief of Staff of SHAPE, told the workshop participants about several promising means of cooperation between the ISAF forces and the Pakistani army cross-border with a rolling consensus to adopt a regional approach. The cooperation between Afghanistan, ISAF and Pakistan on the 4-star level is working in committees for intelligence, border security and executive. A Joint Intelligence Centre was established in 2007 for sharing intelligence between Pakistan, Afghanistan and ISAF. There is no reason why there should not be a comprehensive political-military plan for Afghanistan. More activities could be done by Pakistan and the Allies to stabilize the region. General Lather mentioned progress with a new Pakistani liaison officer in the NATO Headquarters in Brussels and a ISAF liaison in Islamabad. The trilateral commission of ISAF, the Afghan National Security Forces and the Pakistani Security Forces must be supported and developed fincluding a broader border management plan with a new Coordination Centre. NATO countries support now the modernization of the Frontier Corps and Pakistani army with equipment, training and doctrine for counter-insurgency operations (see the speech by General Lather here).
          http://www.worldsecuritynetwork.com/...ticle_ID=17193
          Regards,

Comment

Afghanistan. Before the Americans, there were the Russians. Before those, there were the British. I wonder why each of these thought it was smarter and more capable than the previous. Some people just can't learn with History. Not even after Vietnam.

Comment

Originally posted by Torgut View Post
              Afghanistan. Before the Americans, there were the Russians. Before those, there were the British. I wonder why each of these thought it was smarter and more capable than the previous. Some people just can't learn with History. Not even after Vietnam.

This time it is a totally different situation, the reason we are there now is because of the 'War on Terror', Afghanistan was being used as a 'Training Ground' for 'Terrorist Organisations'.;)

Comment

Torgut,

You're absolutely right. This is the way I see it too. As an Irsaeli which we combat Terrorism. I agree to combat terrorism but not with foreign military forces. We should train the Afghani people to fight against the Taliban or El-Quaida. It's very complex. I can see here in Canada where I am unfortunately every week a Canadian Soldier dies.

Talking with Afghani people they don't understand what foreign people are doing there for them the Taliban is just religious student. They don't like us (Western world).

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post

This time it is a totally different situation, the reason we are there now is because of the 'War on Terror', Afghanistan was being used as a 'Training Ground' for 'Terrorist Organisations'.;)
                  This war started since the Russians and we haven't gotten any forward. I agree with you we have to combat terrorism all over the world but in this region it may be time to slow down and see if there are different ways to combat the terrorism because the way that it has been going on since the Russians has not advanced much. Or maybe only with the airstrikes like Israel does now.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Brit View Post
                    Needs to clear out the tribal regions, big time.
                    I've lived in Pakistan in the mid '90 and the tribal regions were lawless then are still lawless but better armed. The Pakistani army cannot or does not want to confront them. If we do not confront the Al Quitas in the NW regions we will never control the violents in Afghanistan.

But should we? The people there have been fighting each other for hundreds of years. Look at the Russians. Like them, when we leave, the people will still be or go back to fighting each other.

The NW regions of Pakistan and the close areas of Afghanistan are the same people, the same tribes with the same mentality. Only a political line makes them different, but with little effect.

Comment

That's completely irrelevant as I'm not discussing moral issues in this thread. Reasons are diferent, terrain and opponent are the same... outcome will be the same. Again, some people just cant't learn with History. They have to commit the same error by theirselves.

Comment

Originally posted by haim357 View Post
                        Torgut,

You're absolutely right. This is the way I see it too. As an Irsaeli which we combat Terrorism. I agree to combat terrorism but not with foreign military forces. We should train the Afghani people to fight against the Taliban or El-Quaida. It's very complex. I can see here in Canada where I am unfortunately every week a Canadian Soldier dies.

Talking with Afghani people they don't understand what foreign people are doing there for them the Taliban is just religious student. They don't like us (Western world).

Regards,
                        You are obviously not following very closely as to what is happening in Afghanistan. In Helmand the British Troops 'Mentor' the New Afghan Army, in the use of Tactics etc. The Afghan Troops accompany them on Patrols', when the British feel that the Afghan Soldiers' are competant, they allow them to lead patrols with the British (a few) overseeing what they are doing, a lot of patrols' now are undertaken by the Afghan Soldiers'. Also the British in the Helmand Province are training up the Poloice Force. Helmand has now over 300 newly-trained and skilled Police Officers'. Also bear in mind that the Troops are also there to undertake reconstruction work i.e. the new Power Station in Helmand, rebuilding of Hospitals, Schools, Mosques' etc.

As for the Afghans you are talking to, that don't like the West, should also take note of what I have said; also they should be grateful that a hated Western Country has given them refuge and a decent way of life. If we are so hated they should go back to Afghanistan and live alongside the 'So Call Religious Students'.

Comment

I am not sure an increase in forces will work in the Stan. SOF teams are the best option if they are able to effectively organize and train indigenous units there. The terrain does not benefit the deployment of large ground forces.
                          @Haim357 I do not think that airstrikes would be entirely effective in that region.

Comment

Originally posted by BadKharma View Post
                            I am not sure an increase in forces will work in the Stan. SOF teams are the best option if they are able to effectively organize and train indigenous units there. The terrain does not benefit the deployment of large ground forces.
                            @Haim357 I do not think that airstrikes would be entirely effective in that region.

The SAS did that back in the Good-Old Days' of the 'Russian Occupation', successfully too. However that training has been handed down, and our Troops are now fighting the same people that they trained!!!!!

Comment

The SAS did that back in the Good-Old Days' of the 'Russian Occupation', successfully too. However that training has been handed down, and our Troops are now fighting the same people that they trained!!!!!
                              That seems to be an ongoing problem and I wish there was a good answer for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X