Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-15se

Hi,

so what do you guys think about the F-15SE?

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...tealthy%20F-15

Looks like a neat idea, but is it worth it? Four a2a missiles is not really a lot. And range is reduced.

Would it be possible for other planes like SuperHornet, Typhoon and Rafale to pull the same trick?

I guess Gripen is too small for this?

L

Some of the tricks used on F-15SE are already in use on the F-18E/F - radar blocker for engine inlets - which is one of the biggest areas of losing stealth on an aircraft.

Internally mounted weapons are certainly do-able on other aircraft. It is just a matter of mission priorities. A new dev-cycle on any of these airplanes won't be worth the results at this stage, IMHO, especially now that the F-35 is closer. This is clearly reflected by the F-15SE, since its lost the payload and range. And no-one knows how much stealthier is it going to be.
    Self-control is the chief element in self-respect, and self-respect is the chief element in courage.

Comment

Originally posted by ASG View Post
      A new dev-cycle on any of these airplanes won't be worth the results at this stage, IMHO, especially now that the F-35 is closer. This is clearly reflected by the F-15SE, since its lost the payload and range.
      I am no fortune teller, but I believe the F-35 is going to come out too costly and many 4.5 Gen aircrafts and F-22s are going to have to take their place for a hi:low USAF composition.

Comment

So basically all they've actually tried out is the new conformal missile carrier and avionics. The V-tails are just for show right now and they haven't tried the RAM coating. I'm curious to see how this works out, though.

Comment

The biggest downside and the irony is the stealth upgrade would strip the F-15 of its ability to carry massive air-to-gound & air to air loadout - something that made F-15E a worthwhile weapons delivery platform in the first place.
          Self-control is the chief element in self-respect, and self-respect is the chief element in courage.

Comment

Originally posted by ASG View Post
            The biggest downside and the irony is the stealth upgrade would strip the F-15 of its ability to carry massive air-to-gound & air to air loadout - something that made F-15E a worthwhile weapons delivery platform in the first place.
            Yes, but
            The weapons-carrying fuel tanks, which are affixed to the aircraft with two bolts, and can be removed within about 2.5 hours. Reinstalling the original fuel tanks restores the F-15 to its nonstealthy configuration, which is capable of hauling more and larger weapons, including anti-ship missiles.
            It's not an F-22 or F-35, but if the RCS is sufficiently reduced then it may be interesting.

It would have been interesting to see the Eurocanards with this set-up. I believe they all have a fairly low RCS in a clean config, and it could probably be reduced even further.

Anybody who has a theory as to why they did not try this with the SuperHornet instead? I am not an expert, but I thought the SH was a more modern design, with a much lower RCS than the F-15?

L

Comment

This plane is great!

Using the CFT as an ad hoc weapons bay is ingenious! I wonder how low-observable it is compared to other 4.5 generation aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by Loke View Post
                Yes, but

It's not an F-22 or F-35, but if the RCS is sufficiently reduced then it may be interesting.

It would have been interesting to see the Eurocanards with this set-up. I believe they all have a fairly low RCS in a clean config, and it could probably be reduced even further.

Anybody who has a theory as to why they did not try this with the SuperHornet instead? I am not an expert, but I thought the SH was a more modern design, with a much lower RCS than the F-15?

L

The Super Hornet has a lower RCS because of redesign from the original Hornets, and use of RAM. This variant of the Eagle would do the same thing, but you'd get more payload, range, speed, bigger radar.

Comment

Originally posted by wrightwing View Post
                  The Super Hornet has a lower RCS because of redesign from the original Hornets, and use of RAM. This variant of the Eagle would do the same thing, but you'd get more payload, range, speed, bigger radar.
                  PLus if the external pylons and fuel carrying CFT's can be re-added later you get a strike weapon and later a heavy bomber. Very useful in a situation like fighting North Korea where you need to send planes into incredibly hostile country.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                    PLus if the external pylons and fuel carrying CFT's can be re-added later you get a strike weapon and later a heavy bomber. Very useful in a situation like fighting North Korea where you need to send planes into incredibly hostile country.
                    What is so hostile about the DPRK? Their air defense is so outdated it isn't even relavent.

Comment

The DPRK has a very capable and well equipped military.

Comment

Originally posted by GGTharos View Post
                        The DPRK has a very capable and well equipped military.
                        Are you serious or just messing with me?

Comment

The DRPK or north Korea has a very large military for the size of the country, They have a whole bunch of tube artillery as well. They are not particualarly well equipt with most of their mechanized forces using late 60's to 70's equiptment with some bolt on modernization. Essentially against the south Korean's they stand a chance only due to numbers and possible wave attacks.

The airforce is once again very large numbers wise but the only close to modern fighter they have is mig 29's with limited upgrades and a fairly small number of them around 40. The rest of their fighters are mig 17's and 21's and chinese clones their of. (a small number of 23's also around the same number as 29's exist.) either their pilots have eseentially no hours in their primary aircraft or the airframes of these fighters are going to also be very worn and most of them would still be using 80's tech soviet radars. They have the ability to hurt someone militarily but their equiptment is esentially the same as that of desert storm Iraq in 1991. Their biggest ace in the hole is the ability to slaughter Seoul with artillery and chemical weapons fired from them. The next most useful thing in their favor is the north is fairly mountainous and dug in infantry in that terrain is costly to get out.

Comment

Silent Eagle Media Brief.Doc

Old wine in a new bottle not meant for domestic consumption

Comment

It looks to be an interesting concept I'd also be interested to see if a upgrade kit wasn't built for the countries llready operating fairly late model f-15's.

Comment

Working...
                              X